Thread: What do do with old cat

Question What do do with old cat

I had to replace my cat because the internals had come loose and they caused an ugly rattling noise. I would be tempted to just throw it away, but since people actually steal these things, is there something better I can do with it? How much is it actually worth and were would I take it?

Should I donate it to a homeless person?

Unlike the earlier 70's and early 80's cats, there is not enough platinum in the newer cats to be worth that much. I would just chunk it.
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    Well thats about double of what I thought it would be worth. Now the trick is to find out how much a round trip gas ticket will cost to see if it will still be worth the effort.
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

Well... I don't think it'd cost you $50 to round trip it to your nearest scrap metal yard. I'm sure there's one over it the FW area that would take it off your hands...

But if you don't want to go to the trouble, I'll take it off your hands for free at the next GTG... save ya the gas!
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    Yep, I could and I should have.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by jrj512 View Post
    Yep, I could and I should have.
    Slacker!

BTW, I started the car while the exhaust was off (it is just one big piece after the cat) and it was loud, but I thought it sounded pretty cool. Then, when I put my exhaust back on, I noticed it was not much quieter or different. Cool.

I thought people stole the cats for copper.
    99 Miata Black