Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Open diff. vs. Torsen

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Default Open diff. vs. Torsen

If I were to buy a Miata ('99 or newer) with an open diff, how much work (and $$$) would be involved to replace it with a Torsen?

Any other parts other than the pumpkin need to be replaced? Thanks in advance!

800-1,000 is what I have seen. I think you need new axle seals and some other stuff. I would love to do it, but it seems like a big deal.

Unless you find a screaming deal on an open-diffed car, I don't think it would be worht the extra money and hassle to buy one without a Torsen and add it.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Yeah, adding to what Iain said, if I had known the difference when I bought my car, I would have gotten one with a torsen.

the nice thing about the open diff is that it is what is required to build the Mazda-Comp diff (which is like the billy-badass diff for an autocross, road race, and, um, spirited driven Miata)

you have to use the stub axles from the the open car, and the comp unit costs just under $600. it's a good idea to replace the side bearings at this point, but those are only about $30 a peice.

we can build you one of the nifty units for around $150 if you bring all the parts, or we can supply the bearings and order the diff for you.

we are also about to test the Rx7 diff in a miata housing (a few tricks can be done to them to make them nice and tight- just shy of feeling welded) - these can be bought for around $150 - it's just a matter of building it up.

the stock torsen units are very nice, but there are alternatives
    [email protected]
    "if it can be done cheap, we can do it. if you want it done right, we'd rather do that."

Quote Originally Posted by Thorage327
    the stock torsen units are very nice, but there are alternatives
    Not in a Stock Class autocross car, which is where Sammm apparently wants to play with his new toy.

I agree the Mazdacomp unit is probably a better diff for competition use, but Stock cars can only use whatever diff they might have come with from the factory.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

if you dont tell them, they wont know its in there.... my car on the otherhand wont ever need to follow rules or anything...
    03 LS FM2ish TDR I/C
    99 Disco, the go anywhere ride

Quote Originally Posted by fwMiata
    if you dont tell them, they wont know its in there....
    Just my personal opinion, but that is a truly shitty attitude to take when it comes to cheating.
    Iain

if you dont tell them, they wont know its in there.... my car on the otherhand wont ever need to follow rules or anything...
    Don't ever say that to Altiain!!!

you have to use the stub axles from the the open car, and the comp unit costs just under $600. it's a good idea to replace the side bearings at this point, but those are only about $30 a peice.

we can build you one of the nifty units for around $150 if you bring all the parts, or we can supply the bearings and order the diff for you.
    Not meaning to hijack this thread; but your saying you will build a competition rear-end for $150 + "just under $600 (guts)" + $60 (bearings) = $810 total.

OK so how much to install? And how long does it take?
    '08 Copper Red GT PRHT, '06 Accord EXL, '05 Dodge Magnum R/T, '01 V8 Dakota for pulling 2135 Chaparral.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    if you dont tell them, they wont know its in there....
    Just my personal opinion, but that is a truly shitty attitude to take when it comes to cheating.
    I agree and would never take that approach!

it takes less than 1.5 hours (depending on your exhaust, and how it's mounted)

i'd be willing to install the diff housing for about $65.

the other thing about the comp diff is that it creates a fair amount of heat, so changing the fluid 2 times a year is a must.

i'd be willing to R&R any diff housing for that price. it's the buildup part that takes so much time (lots of measuring w/ a set of very accurate calipers).

i'm not trying to encourage cheating. this is more directed at guys who are open tracking the car, or just want a gnarly diff for drifting, or running a mod class w/ a monster turbo.

psst, kyle, don't piss off the purists, we need them
    [email protected]
    "if it can be done cheap, we can do it. if you want it done right, we'd rather do that."

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Just an FYI. The OEM Torsen can be purchased from Mazdaspeed for $758.45 - MM03-27-200 - DIFFERENTIAL, TORSEN (Courtesy of POS)

that kinda sux- we've been buying them for around $575, but i haven't ordered one in about a year. is that the price if you have a Mazda comp account (which gives awesome prices to the racer, auto-Xer)?

i know they sell rotors for about $28, fender ready for paint for $109, and stuff like that. if you run your car at least 3 times a year, it's tottaly worth it to get the account set up.

most of my customers have accounts, and i just order parts for their car thru Mazdacomp, and don't even make money on the parts, but i know for a fact that it's going to fit, and not make me run all over to get the right part.
    [email protected]

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Thorage327
    that kinda sux- we've been buying them for around $575, but I haven't ordered one in about a year. is that the price if you have a Mazda comp account (which gives awesome prices to the racer, auto-Xer)?
    Yes, that is with the Mazda comp discount. If you get a chance, check what your price would be today and post it up. Thanks!

ha i wasnt being serious.... thought yall knew that. i dont cheat and wont encourage it
    03 LS FM2ish TDR I/C

Hark! I hear the sound of yonder one pedalling backwards!
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

im not peddeling anywhere, my bikes broke.
    03 LS FM2ish TDR I/C

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast