Thread: Majik's 1800ES Volvo!

Default Majik's 1800ES Volvo!

Quote Originally Posted by Majik
    Well I am getting on a plane tonight to go to Little Rock for Thanksgiving. I am going to be coming back with the old Volvo to rebuild though. So that and the new azenis are what I am thankful for. What about you? Where are you guys going? Have a great time and be safe. Watching football and sleeping all afternoon... MMMMMM good.
    Majik,
    What kind of Volvo??? I have a 1970 1800E.
    Davo

Sebring Silver '02 S2000

'73 1800ES, IIRC

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser
    '73 1800ES, IIRC
    Sweet!!! I don't know any other 1800 owners. Majik - we need to talk!!!
    Davo

Sebring Silver '02 S2000

That's a cool looking car. It looks like a chopped and stretched Pacer!
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Well I am here in Little Rock, the car doesnt run, it got a paint job back in 1990, and has been garaged ever since. It is very dusty but I can tell the body looks good. That is very exciting to me as everything else I can fix, I wasnt looking forward to body work. The dash and front seats and maybe carpet need to be replaced. Ill take a better look today. I took a peak last night after the flight. Oh yeah the flight, because of all the storms flights all across the state were delayed. Ours was scheduled for a 9:20 departure and we got on a plane at 12:45. Ours wasnt the worst through a plane scheduled to leave at 4:45 pm went off just before ours, we had to wait so we didnt tailgate too close.

You got a Camera! You need some shots of it coming out of long-term storage! That and I'd like to see it!

Glad you made it Little Rock ok!

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Majik
    Oh yeah the flight, because of all the storms flights all across the state were delayed.

I am going to buy a disposable, since the stupid GF left her digital at home. So far here is what I know. It has the b20 motor, the big block one... hehe. A four speed manual tranny. And it was parked without any major engine trouble. Her mom had it washed and the people got the engine wet. This and a seat the wouldnt stay in position made her stop driving it and she never got back to it. You guys should see the owners manual for this thing. It is funny how much lawyer speak it lacks. It also tells you how to take stuff apart.

What no camera phone???

When was the last time this car ran? Keep in mind no oil has moved in the motor for a while, so you will need to gently wake it out of it's long nap! Be careful you don't want to break anything in the motor before you get started on your restoration project!

It was last run in 1996 so it wasnt as long as I thought. As for gently starting it, I dont think the ignition is up to par, also it will have to be jump started. I figure it will turn over quite a few times before it fires. What about the gas though? Should I drain the tank? Would it be a major problem to start it and run it long enough to get up the steep driveway? Other than that I wont be running it for a while once we get back to fort worth.

1996 that's just 7 Years!

You may want to get some oil in the cylinders before you do anything, chances are good the rings could be one with the cylinders. Then if you can slowly turn it over to get everything moving before you try and start it.

The gas is more than likely bad, and the carb is more than likely gummed up.

Be careful!

Did you make it back to Ft. Worth yet??

Yeah, Im back with a a hell of a story to tell. Its a long one so Ill save it for a campfire, but I can tell you moving a 2000lbs trailer around that doesnt have a front wheel can make your arms hurt. Either way the car is here, I have already taken out the drivers seat. Also I noticed these crazy sweeds have screws holding the valve cover on... Car looks good, a nice engine cleanup and tune-up and some interior work is all it needs. It looks like this.

and I want it to look like this.

The interior is this color

The interior looks like hell now, but really the front seats and the dash make it look alot worse than it is. The headliner is in great shape as are the back seats...

So have ya started tinkering with the car?? What all ya done??

I have taken out the front drivers seat and taken off the valve cover. The valve cover was held on by screws. The drivers seat is trashed. I have been too busy with school lately to do much. Two weeks and I will be on vacation so Ill have plenty of time.