Thread: More fun with P0106

Driver
    Blog Entries

Default Updated - More fun with P0106

Update - Boy, was I wrong. I tested the solenoid with a 9v battery, and it works. So, I decided to make sure the air path inside the manifold was clear. It wasn't - there was a chunk of something in there that was probably bouncing around and occasionally plugging the vaccuum port. I cleaned the port and air path, and hope that fixes the problem. I don't know if the code will stay away this time, but I figured I should post and update in case someone else runs across a similar problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Walsted View Post
    The P0106 mentioned in an earlier thread has returned. It seems that the vacuum solenoid between the MAP sensor and intake manifold isn't opening, so the MAP never sees the intake pressure. If I measure voltages of the solenoid connector with the connector disconnected, I get varying voltages. If I measure voltages with the connector connected, the voltage stays at zero no matter what I do to the throttle. So, today I went to Pep Boys, Autozone, O'Reilly, and Napa to see if they had the vacuum solenoid. Nobody had it, and the guys at Pep Boys and NAPA really tried. So tomorrow I am off to the auto recyclers to see if I can find one.

Does anyone know if any other vehicles (besides the 1999, and I assume 2000 Miata,) have the same part?
    Last edited by Walsted; 11-04-2008 at 12:32 PM. Reason: Update
    Mike Walsted - Not an expert, just a data point.
    1999 Miata
    2003 MIata
    1999 Miata
    2001 Kia Rio

So did it need the you got it or was it this solenoid causing the CEL??

Driver
    Blog Entries

Replacing the cat cleared the P0420, but the P0106 kept coming back. It reappeared today at the smog station, even though it wasn't there when I checked codes before leaving the house. I just got back from grabbing a vac solenoid for the MAP sensor from a Millennia at Mazda Heaven, and the code seems to be staying away for the moment.
    Mike Walsted - Not an expert, just a data point.
    1999 Miata
    2003 MIata
    1999 Miata
    2001 Kia Rio