Thread: Opinions on Rims

Default Opinions on Rims

As far as aesthetics, what do y'all think of these rims for my NA..... was really looking for something in a 15" size... but for $300, these seem to be a good buy... Do you think 16's are going to look oversized and out of place?

http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=307495

I had Team Dynamics rims on my NA. Excellent wheels that drew lots of positive comments from others. You won't go wrong if the ones on MiataNet are the real thing.

As far as oversized and out of place, no. The later NB miata's came with 16" wheels and the mazda speed miata came with 17" rims. Tire prices is the big difference.

Good-Win-Racing sell the Team Dynamics in other sizes as well. They also have some pretty good deals on wheel/tire packages.

Linkie:
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

rimz dog, rimz.
    TXMC: Drinkin, shootin, racin!

I think they look pretty cool, and for $300 you can't go wrong for new wheels with new tires
    '06 RSX Type-S NBP

Blog Entries

According to the tire calculator http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html , they will only be .6 inch taller than the stock size wheels and tires. The weight is a little heavy and Miata's are supposed to be weight sensitive but for $300 if you like them, why not? You can always resell if you change your mind. Shipping will be considerable.
    Stripe Das Sape

We are leading the world to democracy by example.

true. I'm thinking shipping will run $125-$140.....

I think I'm going to wait. They aren't EXACTLY what I want, and the holidays are coming.

Quote Originally Posted by creek View Post
    According to the tire calculator http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html , they will only be .6 inch taller than the stock size wheels and tires. The weight is a little heavy and Miata's are supposed to be weight sensitive but for $300 if you like them, why not? You can always resell if you change your mind. Shipping will be considerable.
    What if he goes on a diet to compensate ?
    '08 GG/Blk GT 6M 2PR 1SP Eibach spring/sways Tenzo-R GF-7 wheels Good-win RS II w/glspak inserts " Save the Wave ! "

Quote Originally Posted by mikeytx View Post
    What if he goes on a diet to compensate ?
    Unless he rides on the hubs of his car he will feel a difference. It isn't the fact that they are heavy but that they have higher unsprung mass which affects handling.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Quote Originally Posted by black roadster View Post
    Unless he rides on the hubs of his car he will feel a difference. It isn't the fact that they are heavy but that they have higher unsprung mass which affects handling.
    It is the fact if they are heavy. Where do you think the extra mass comes from? They contribute to the total unsprung mass.

If they are heavier than the current wheels, they will result in slower acceleration due to more rotating mass.
    '06 RSX Type-S NBP

Quote Originally Posted by Nexus Flux View Post
    It is the fact if they are heavy. Where do you think the extra mass comes from? They contribute to the total unsprung mass.

If they are heavier than the current wheels, they will result in slower acceleration due to more rotating mass.

That's what I was trying to say.

I meant it isn't that they are making the whole car heavier but the effect they have on unsprung mass. 5-6 pound of weight on a whole car is nothing. It's the extra mass at each wheel being thrown around that makes a difference.

In other words, it's the location of the extra mass that is significant.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

I was thinking more in the way of an "appearance" mod ...I wouldn't be using these for the track..... Even so; I think I'll go with 15's as originally planned..... Possibly the Kosei rims I was looking at

I like these...

Konig Helium 15 inch.. Very light and looks good too.

those do look nice

Quote Originally Posted by sxk122 View Post
    those do look nice
    I bought them through good-win racing as a tire/rim package deal. They came with Toyo Proxes T1-R tires. I am very happy with the cars performance.

Quote Originally Posted by HudsonHawk View Post
    I like these...

Konig Helium 15 inch.. Very light and looks good too.

those do look nice
    Quote Originally Posted by HudsonHawk View Post
    I bought them through good-win racing as a tire/rim package deal. They came with Toyo Proxes T1-R tires. I am very happy with the cars performance.
    Jeff_man is selling a set of those heliums in black. They have azenis on them.

link? any idea on price range?

link? any idea on price range?
    no link, just word of mouth. I was gonna sell his black konig heliums for him and he was was gonna buy one of my sets of wheels, but my wheels didn't fit his sport brakes.

You can send him a pm.

Damn, shipping shouldn't be that much! Its done by weight right? I've shipped a turbo kit that weighed more than a set of wheels for less than that!
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...