Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eagles Canyon Toy Race - November 22-23th

Orange cones fear me. cone-cerned's Avatar

Default Eagles Canyon Toy Race - November 22-23th

Eagles Canyon is having a charity event this coming weekend.

It is open to the public. Link
    On the track, I am fearless.
    If you were as slow as me, you wouldn't be afraid either.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

I think I am going to make it out on Saturday.

Chassis Designer

I have the big GTG (Turkey Celebration) at my place on Sat. so I think I will go on Sunday. Going to take the '98 Eclipse thats for sale. Maybe I will find a buyer.

I will be there Sunday in my '94 M Edition.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

Sunday looks like the day with less people. I talked to the track Director and he is expecting 250 on Saturday!

I think I am going to try to make it out on Sunday.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Prefers his T-Bones Deboned... jeff_man's Avatar

If it was warmer I'd go out and brake in the car.

Should get a stock 90 1.6 and win the slowest lap =p

Word has it that there are about 55 reg for Sat and 57 for Sun.

I might go on sunday. If anyone goes saturday post here and let us know how it goes. It isn't worth making the drive out there for very little track time with TONS of traffic.

I may go today. Better for my schedule but chillier temps so I'm not sure yet.
    If I do go I'll post a report. Even if it's 20 cars a group that's not crowded at all on 2.5 mile track. Now if they send one car at a time out then that would hardly be worth the wait.

so what's the deal, can you just show up with $20 and ride all day? Or do you have to be regisered first? Also what as they doing with the sessions is it split up or everyone at the same time just go put when ready. Just looking for serial details /info
    Blah blah blah!

Sorry I haven't posted sooner; been busy moving Carazzie's daughter's stuff since I got home from the track. Today was alotta fun but first two heats were slippery due to cold. Saw two cars slide off in front of me. Must be terrifying to see my Miata in your rearview mirror!

So we were casual today. They assigned those who had not been on the track before or had not been on any track before as group 2. They assigned those that have been here before as group 1. They made open wheel/carts as group 3 and they made bikes as group 4. We all had four 20 minute sessions and the last session all remaining cars were combined. Most we had in group 1 was about 20 cars and it didn't seem crowded at all on the 2.5 mile track.

Was a great time and they say they had about 60 register for today. Tomorrow will likely be more crowded since it's nicer weather. You can send an email to register or just show up. Bring a nice toy or two or give them 20 bucks. If this is your first track experience I'm not sure how many instructors will be available. It's not that organized as an official HPDE but there are some people there willing to assist.

Was a great time and track time was same as a regular day. BTW I saw KenO out there and he's pretty good with that Cooper. He had a rubbing sound on the front left (maybe sway bar bushing) so left after the second session.

Man, if you didn't go this weekend, you missed the deal of the century on track time!

I showed up this morning with J-Fo and leadfootjon and ran into cone-cerned and Six Ace at the track. There was plenty of exotic hardware out there, from a brand new GT3-RS to a pair of Ariel Atoms. Maybe forty cars total, split up into three groups, plus another group for bikes. $20 or an unwrapped toy got you four full 20-minute sessions at speed (not lead & follows). Helluva deal!

Fun track, fun day, couldn't beat the price, and all the proceeds went to charity. Hopefully they'll do it again next year!
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Chassis Designer

I made it out today. It was lunch time so I didnt see any racing. Didnt get to introduce myself to any Miata guys since I didnt know who they were since everyone was inside eating. We showed up for fuel for the Rally car. Hung out for a little while but then left. Kind of wish I had a ride that was ready to run but, I didnt. Saw some really nice cars, like mentioned above. Maybe next time I can make it out with a ride of my own.

An absolute ton of fun.

In the four sessions I got black flagged twice, was passed by more cars than I could count, even lapped by one or two, but did not pass a car all day long. I even spun twice in the last session.

All this for an unwrapped toy. What a deal.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

Geez, I leave you alone and you spin twice! No more flyin' solo for you!

Just kidding. Good to hear you were pushing the car a little harder. Hope there was no harm done to car or driver.
    Iain

No harm done.

I looked at my MaxQData, my fastest lap was a 2:33.847. I think that may only be about a minute slower than the lap record.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

I wish I was there today. Must've thought about it 50 times but had some family biz to take care of. Glad you guys made it out there and sad for those that didn't. Was a great time yesterday and sounds like same today.

I got passed in first three sessions quite a bit and lapped once (in session 2) by the silver porsche pictured below driven by a nice guy named Loren.
    Dunno if that's a GT3 or whatever that Altian mentioned earlier but it was a sweet ride.

The pics of the Sky are because I was considering that car when I bought my NC and it has the side skirts, rear valence, dual exhaust (usually an indicator of factory turbo- redline edition but this one wasn't) and wing (odd that it was wing above spoiler).

The flat black corvette behind the Yamaha bike by my car was the fastest on the track for our group. Sounded sweet when he passed me.

All of these pictured were in my group except the Sky who was in novice.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Nails; 11-23-2008 at 09:05 PM.

Here's the Atoms mentioned. They reminded me of sand rails built for asphalt instead of dunes. Supercharged two seaters with nothing on them that wasn't needed. One did have a toll tag though.

Quote Originally Posted by cone-cerned View Post
    No harm done.

I looked at my MaxQData, my fastest lap was a 2:33.847. I think that may only be about a minute slower than the lap record.

Actually, (at least on Saturday), you weren't that far off from the front runner cone-cerned. I was hanging out upstairs watching the time keepers and as of end of 3rd session Saturday it was an open wheeled vehicle that held our fastest lap time at about 1:57. Wasn't a Porsche or a Vette. 2.5 twisty miles in less than two minute and just inches off the ground.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast