Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blu-Ray players

Default Blu-Ray players

Hey guys,

I'm looking for a Blu-Ray player for the wife's birthday. We've got a 1080p HDTV downstairs, so I'd like to be able to take advantage of that. I also want a player that will upconvert standard DVDs, so that we can continue to watch the ones we already have.

Buy.com has this Memorex Blu-Ray player for $149.99. Any reason I shouldn't buy it?
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Iain,
    When is her birthday? Can you wait for Black Friday? Just a few days til then. The price may drop a little more. I really could not tell you if Memorex is a good brand. The price is amazing!! I am unfortunately a 'big brand' name person. I buy when the prices have fallen sharply. So, I can not tell you without a doubt not to buy it.
    Alan

Thats the best deal out on one right now.

Here's a $5 off $100 coupon for buy.com, just click the "redeem coupon button" with the player in your cart.
    Black 2002 Honda S2000
    Black 1992 Euro spec BMW 735iL
    Black 2003 Honda CBR 600 RR

Prefers his T-Bones Deboned... jeff_man's Avatar

get a used ps3. you get way more then it's worth. can play game, watch blue ray, stream video and music from a pc on your net work (i use mine for streaming 720p HD movies and tv that i downloaded more then anything else). there is a retro game store where you can download nes-ps1 games. even has a net surf app and true 1080p hdmi with 7.1 out.

Quote Originally Posted by smartmx5 View Post
    Iain,
    When is her birthday? Can you wait for Black Friday? Just a few days til then. The price may drop a little more. I really could not tell you if Memorex is a good brand. The price is amazing!! I am unfortunately a 'big brand' name person. I buy when the prices have fallen sharply. So, I can not tell you without a doubt not to buy it.
    Alan
    Unfortunately, her birthday IS Black Friday this year, so I'm a little behind the 8 ball. Figured I could order this and even with 2-day shipping for delivery on Friday I'm doing better than buying one locally.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Are you sure this is something SHE WANTS or you want her to have? The rule at my house is that I can't buy anything for my wife that plugs in the wall unless she asks for it directly!
    1990 White NA - SOLD
    1994 Black NA - SOLD
    2006 Red NC - GT with limited slip, HIDs, all OEM.

Actually, she wants one more than I do.
    Iain

My wife has started a sewing machine collection. I think she has 6 sewing machines and has ordered new one for Christmas!!
    1990 White NA - SOLD
    1994 Black NA - SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by motorollow View Post
    The rule at my house is that I can't buy anything for my wife that plugs in the wall unless she asks for it directly!
    I just get battery-powered.

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post
    Hey guys,

I'm looking for a Blu-Ray player for the wife's birthday. We've got a 1080p HDTV downstairs, so I'd like to be able to take advantage of that. I also want a player that will upconvert standard DVDs, so that we can continue to watch the ones we already have.

Buy.com has this Memorex Blu-Ray player for $149.99. Any reason I shouldn't buy it?
    Check out the feedback at blu-ray.com
    If you click the buy it now it should take you to Amazon for even more feedback and the current price. In my research most Blu Ray players upconvert but I might be wrong.

Orange cones fear me. cone-cerned's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by motorollow View Post
    My wife has started a sewing machine collection. I think she has 6 sewing machines and has ordered new one for Christmas!!
    Sounds like my wife. I don't know how many she has. Her oldest one is a 1915 Singer and the newest one is a Bernina Artista. She is more than a collector, she is a very good seamstress.
    On the track, I am fearless.
    If you were as slow as me, you wouldn't be afraid either.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

Well, I pulled the trigger on one. Even with overnight shipping it was still less than $200. Thanks for the coupon code, Chad!
    Iain

I've been really pleased with Sony's BDP-S550 (currently 399.99, free shipping and no tax). It's SUBSTANTIALLY more expensive, but also supports BD-Live 2.0 profile and relatively quick load times. The BDP-S350 also seems very appealing w.r.t performance (currently 299.99, free shipping and no tax).

BD-Live isn't as important to me, personally. But load time is -- I am absolutely impatient waiting for a movie to start.

On the Memorex, look around and see what people are saying. I recommended this one to my Dad since it gets the job done, so to speak. I do not know this device specifically, but I have heard of other players that take 2+ minutes to load a disc and start playback.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson
    There's no six-way traction control. There's no complicated folding metal roof. It's simpler than that. Engine in the front, drive to the rear, and a big smiling piece of meat in the middle.

Currently:

1991 Mariner Blue (daily driver)
    Previously:
    1994 M-Edition

Quote Originally Posted by Flyin94m View Post
    I've been really pleased with Sony's BDP-S550 (currently 399.99, free shipping and no tax). It's SUBSTANTIALLY more expensive, but also supports BD-Live 2.0 profile and relatively quick load times. The BDP-S350 also seems very appealing w.r.t performance (currently 299.99, free shipping and no tax).

BD-Live isn't as important to me, personally. But load time is -- I am absolutely impatient waiting for a movie to start.

On the Memorex, look around and see what people are saying. I recommended this one to my Dad since it gets the job done, so to speak. I do not know this device specifically, but I have heard of other players that take 2+ minutes to load a disc and start playback.
    Sony Style ran a special a few weeks ago when the BDP-S550 first came out for $150 off the $399 price if you got their Sony credit card. Our CIO at work did this deal and he loves it. The BDP-S550 has more advanced sound output than the BDP-S350.
    1990 White NA - SOLD
    1994 Black NA - SOLD

Unfortunately, her birthday IS Black Friday this year, so I'm a little behind the 8 ball. Figured I could order this and even with 2-day shipping for delivery on Friday I'm doing better than buying one locally.
    Got a Walmart flyer today. Magnavox Blu-ray for $128!!!
    Samsung Blu-ray for $198!! It may be a Black Friday sale..

I know you already pulled the trigger, but my vote is for the PS3... we have one and the playback is schweeeeet. good deal for the money.

Yeah I prefer the PS3, one reason it can be updated to any firmware version, two it has great playback, three it is reasonably fast, and four I can stream from my PC. Either local files or off of hulu and netflix. It is a great media server.

Well, apparently you get what you pay for...

I got an email from Buy.com last Tuesday night (the 25th), telling me my order had shipped. I paid to have it shipped overnight. I should have expected it last Wednesday, right?

Wrong. As of today, UPS is showing that a shipping label has been generated for my shipment, and nothing more. I sent Buy.com an email a moment ago telling them to cancel my order.

Moral of the story? Don't shop at the last minute. And don't buy from Buy.com.
    Iain

Well, apparently you get what you pay for...

I got an email from Buy.com last Tuesday night (the 25th), telling me my order had shipped. I paid to have it shipped overnight. I should have expected it last Wednesday, right?

Wrong. As of today, UPS is showing that a shipping label has been generated for my shipment, and nothing more. I sent Buy.com an email a moment ago telling them to cancel my order.

Moral of the story? Don't shop at the last minute. And don't buy from Buy.com.
    Try Fatwallet.com, onecall.com, newegg.com. Maybe there will be one for less than two hundred dollars.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast