Thread: Dell Laptop Questions?

Default Dell Laptop Questions?

First, i want to ask if anyone has experience with dell laptops? i have had a few dell desktops and have never had a problem with them.

well now i'm looking to buy a nice wireless laptop in the next week or two and have been looking around and my favorite laptops have always been toshiba.

well, yesterday i found out that my work has a program for employees that allows them to get a select few laptop and desktop packages at a discount (basically the computers that are used at the office).

the two laptops they offer are the d400 and d600.
    this is the d600 that i priced with my job

d600
    pentium centrino m 1.4
    512mb ram (2x256)
    60gig hd
    cdrw/dvd combo
    14.1 inch screen xga
    wireless b/g built in
    xp pro
    3 year gold warranty

all for $1148

so i went to dell and built the exact same computer and it was $2090

i know its a good deal, but is dell a good quality laptop compared to there desktops. so let me know what yall think of dell laptops and this deal.

oh, and one thing i like about the d600 is that it doesnt look cheap like the base models that are silver with a blue top. its a nice clean silver laptop that is thin and weights like 4.7 lbs. ok, i'm gonna shut up and let yall talk.

Until last year, I bought nothing but Dell... Their laptops are generally very good quality. More importantly (I think), when you do have problems, you're usually not without a computer more than 3 business days.

I have a Latitude (purchased used and already broken) with what I understand to be a common keyboard failure - since resolved. I have one of the first couple hundred pentium II Inspirons - it runs hot, but it's been running strong since 1998. I have the step up from that machine that's had every hinge and plastic case component replaced (under warranty), but it's also running strong.

For $1148, you'd have a hard time finding a better machine.

I used to work for Dell and make their desktops. I have never had a bad experience with Dell. Something I cannot say with HP and other computers.

I would only recomend Dell based on it's reliability, customer support, and my civic duty as someone from Austin.

Chris
    91 Miata (#3), Rattle Can Grey(previous owner), Greddy Turbo @7 PSI and Manifold (Only items remaining from the kit), TDR I/C, Godspeed Radiator, RM DP, 2.5 Enthuza Bipes, BEGI AFPR, ACT, Lightened Stock Flywheel, Yellow Konis, FCM on Stock Springs, HDM2S, MOMO Wheel, Ratsback Front CF Lip, Black Rota's on EcstaXS, Corrado Rotors & XP8's on Front w/ 1.8 rears.

http://austinmiata.com/

Wishlist: Megasquirt to run 12-13 PSI, White non-spray paint job, 8" 6UL's, RX7 LSD, Evans Waterless Coolant

I'm working on a D600 right now!

I've had two Dell desktops at home and this is my first Dell Laptop. I've always been happy with my Dells. I have some "fiddly" software on my current laptop that is causing me some trouble, but it has nothing to do with the equipment or standard software (well, it's probably a fight between XP and this internal program I need to run).

Anyway, I'd have to agree with everyone else here... at $1,148, a D600 is a great deal. Can you get them at that price for your "family members"... like us? My company has an "employee purchase plan" for Dell PCs too -- I think we get $10.00 off list price and free shipping.

i'll have to check on the family discount

i'm trying to sell my 2 computers right now to fund the laptop. once i have the money, i'm going to try to order 2, one for me and my mom. and we'll see if it gives me any trouble.

i'll keep you posted.

Quote Originally Posted by Miatamaniac92
    I used to work for Dell and make their desktops. I have never had a bad experience with Dell. Something I cannot say with HP and other computers.
    Chris
    As the unfortunate current owner of two HP desktops, I can most certainly agree with that statement. I will never buy another HP product again.

Iain
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    Quote Originally Posted by Miatamaniac92
    Chris
    As the unfortunate current owner of two HP desktops, I can most certainly agree with that statement. I will never buy another HP product again.

Iain
    Dang HP is the official computer here at my world headquarters, I just bought two more about three weeks ago! Plus I have one at home....
    I guess YMMV!

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

I'm on a Latitude now - second one the company has supplied. Very happy with it.
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

well, it turns out that i wasnt on the employee purchase part of the site. that price is actually for the company to buy .

anyway, if yall had about $1300 to spend on a wireless laptop. what would yall get?
    2012 VW GTI
    4 Door White

$1300 is still a good price. Dude!!! You're gettin' a Dell!!!

My company is a Dell VAR/reseller. I buy dozens a month. Let me know if you have any questions. On singles, usually the best deal is one of their super specials you see on TV or in the mailers. Sometimes those are cheaper than my price. If you build one out of the Small Business section, email me the cart and I will get a quote for you. If you don't mind slightly used, try Resource Concepts in Carrollton for a refurb or lease return. www.outletcomputer.com Tip-they can haggle a little on the prices. BTW I personally prefer new with the 3 year warranty, but my home pc and laptop are both refurbs. I would say 1 out of 50 refurbs is a dud, compared to 1-500 for new Dells. They do have a liberal warranty and return policy.

Also I do have a "Dude your getting a Dell" T shirt. it is a collectors item since the Dude got caught smoking dope and was fired. I think my wife doesn't like me to wear it in public.

I have supported Dells for the last 5 years and we only buy Dell servers where I work. It is a great company to deal with if there ever is a problem. Also, keep an eye on their website for specials, as they pop up and change daily. I got a new desktop about 5 weeks ago for $349 after rebate: P4, 80gb hd, 256 ram, cd-burner, xp-home... (normally $600).

Quote Originally Posted by Mathews2004
    If you don't mind slightly used, try Resource Concepts in Carrollton for a refurb or lease return. www.outletcomputer.com Tip-they can haggle a little on the prices.
    i just found out if you listen "The Ticket" 1310 am and you have a p1 card you get $100 off any computer there. i'll have to check them out.

well, i ended up buying a used dell off ebay. it was the only way i could get what i wanted for the money i had for it. here is what i got

dell 8500
    pentium 4 M 2.0
    15.4 WSXGA+ wide screen 1600x1050
    nvidia geforce 4 4200 64mb video
    1024mb of ram!
    60 gig hd
    24xcdrw/dvd combo
    802.11 a/b/g built in

all for $1055

what do yall think?

Great Deal! I want one now.

Chris
    91 Miata (#3), Rattle Can Grey(previous owner), Greddy Turbo @7 PSI and Manifold (Only items remaining from the kit), TDR I/C, Godspeed Radiator, RM DP, 2.5 Enthuza Bipes, BEGI AFPR, ACT, Lightened Stock Flywheel, Yellow Konis, FCM on Stock Springs, HDM2S, MOMO Wheel, Ratsback Front CF Lip, Black Rota's on EcstaXS, Corrado Rotors & XP8's on Front w/ 1.8 rears.

http://austinmiata.com/

Wishlist: Megasquirt to run 12-13 PSI, White non-spray paint job, 8" 6UL's, RX7 LSD, Evans Waterless Coolant