Thread: Circuit City to shut down

Default Circuit City to shut down

So I guess the extended warranty may be something you want to forgo at Circuit City??

http://money.cnn.com/2009/01/16/news.../circuit_city/

Yep. Hold on to your skirts ladies. This is far from over.

I'm not losing sleep over it... they're about .1% better than Best Buy IMHO.
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

Think bigger picture. 34,000 associates at Circuity City out of work. Look at the trickle down from manufacturing, to shipping, to repairs, to returns.....

Quote Originally Posted by ken o View Post
    Think bigger picture. 34,000 associates at Circuity City out of work. Look at the trickle down from manufacturing, to shipping, to repairs, to returns.....
    ... to security guards.

Quote Originally Posted by ken o View Post
    I don't really feel sorry for a company with crappy management... sure, it sucks for the employees but there's other jobs out there (contrary to popular belief). I've been laid off before... so I found other work... it was Wal Mart, but it was something.

One of my friends is complaining about being unable to find work and he's put in, I dunno, about ONE application.
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

The Mickey Mouse way in which Circuit City operated reminds me a whole lot of Best Products and Incredible Universe. Aaaaand, they're both out of business! If I want to buy something, the last thing I want to do is pick up a silly tag, stand in line to pay, then stand in line to wait for my prize to come down the big conveyor belt, only to find that the box has been opened and half the parts are missing. Call me crazy, but I'd rather just pull a box off a shelf and take it to the cash register - the old fashioned way.

IMHO, they went out of business because they had a crappy way of running the show. It didn't help that most of the folks working there didn't know their ass from a hole in the ground.
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

Quote Originally Posted by trickyrix View Post
    IMHO, they went out of business because they had a crappy way of running the show. It didn't help that most of the folks working there didn't know their ass from a hole in the ground.
    There's a reason for that...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...032802185.html

For me, I'd rather (as you said) do my research online, know exactly what I want, drive to the store, and buy it.

But, for some people, they go to the store not knowing what they want and they rely on a knowledgeable employee to help them out.

Those 3,400 "overpaid" employees were more than likely fairly knowledgeable folks who had been there for a while and knew what they were talking about... and were then replaced by typical "Best Buy" type employees who would work for less, were probably less professional and didn't have much of a clue what they were talking about.
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

I suspect that the number 1 killer for Circuit City is the fact that LCD and Plasma TVs have allowed Walmart to stock and sell a much bigger selection of TVs. Tobe TVs were too big and heavy for Walmart to stock and move around without the Ticket model Rick mentioned, but now that they are so much smaller and lighter, it changed the equation.

My single biggest gripe with Circuit City is the move to smaller stores with no listening rooms. 20 years ago, every circuit City would have 3 or 4 listening rooms, and you could actually listen to every speaker and receiver they carried in a controlled environment before buying. Nowadays you are lucky if there is one listening room with a small selection to listen to, and the majority of the equipment can only be heard on the floor. I spent half a day trying to find a place to listen to a few speaker bars a few months back and found nothing.

Walmart, Sams Club, Costco, & the internet. I saw a Canon SD770 during the holidays that I got on Amazon for $159, free shipping and no tax priced at $279 at CC.

Quote Originally Posted by cam76034 View Post
    Walmart, Sams Club, Costco, & the internet. I saw a Canon SD770 during the holidays that I got on Amazon for $159, free shipping and no tax priced at $279 at CC.
    You should see the CC "discounts" going on now... 40% off, but they jacked the price up to MSRP. So you're paying $899 for a $1000 TV.

09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata