Thread: Stx rx8

Default Stx rx8

I have been thinking about building an RX-8 for STX. If built right it could be competitive in STX and a good track car. Please discuss.

Driver

did you buy the car already?

I've seen some rx8s in stu, what are the differences between the classes?
    "Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan

Quote Originally Posted by goofygrin View Post
    did you buy the car already?
    Topic is dead. he sold it at lunch.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by blackzx3_13 View Post
    I've seen some rx8s in stu, what are the differences between the classes?
    For '09, the RX-8 was moved down from STU to STX. Otherwise, the ruleset is similar.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post
    For '09, the RX-8 was moved down from STU to STX. Otherwise, the ruleset is similar.
    Ah, ok. It definately sounds like it would be a fun car.
    "Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan

Ah, ok. It definately sounds like it would be a fun car.
    I agree. Assuming that you have actually verified that you fit in an RX8, then you should try this path.

I think the car has a lot of potential in STX. It will always be down on power and torque to the WRXs and BMWs. However, it will also always weigh several hundred pounds less, have a better suspension (SLA/multi-link vs. Mcstruts), lower polar moment of inertia, and it can legaly fit the biggest allowable tires in class.

Used RX-8s are cheap - cheap enough that $12-14k will get you one that is still under full manufacturer's warranty. Bumper-to-bumper is 4 years/50k, powertrain is 5 years/60k, and the engine is 8 years/100k. The engine is robust as long as you keep the oil topped up and redline it frequently (most carbon buildup occurs in cars that are never driven hard), but the transmission is a weak link. Make sure any potential purchase shifts smoothly at redline into 2nd and 3rd gear, and doesn't whine in 6th.

You can carry a full set of wheels/tires in the car, and you'd be able to do this even with STX-legal seats thanks to the suicide doors in back.

Fuel mileage is crap. I average 16-17mpg in city driving, and 20-22mpg on the highway. I've seen as low as 14mpg around town, and never any higher than 22mpg. Others on this board have done better. lugnutjon does worse. It will drink about a ¼ tank per session at MSR, and it will fuel starve below a ¼ tank on the track (and when the fuel light comes on at an autocross).

Sipe managed to get ~220 whp out of his STU RX-8 before going back to Stock, so I would pick his brain about power mods. Typical stock baseline is 180-190 whp. He also learned a lot about suspension setup while campaigning his, and he's made some baseline spring rate recommendations on the RX-8 board.

Overall, I’m quite happy with mine. It could use a bit more torque and better fuel economy, but if you can get past those points the car makes a great track or autocross car. You’ve seen how fast they can be between the cones, and you’ve seen the tail end of mine at MSR more than once as well, iirc. It also makes a pretty decent long distance street car, which means you won’t hate it on the long drive to an event.
    Iain

Hmmm, maybe I'll move to STX in 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by jrj512 View Post
    Hmmm, maybe I'll move to STX in 2010.
    Too late Miatamoto already sold his RX-8.

Ken O, you should contact Apex2Apex about seeing if he wants to drive his RX-8 for STX. It's partially setup.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

Quote Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
    Ken O, you should contact Apex2Apex about seeing if he wants to drive his RX-8 for STX. It's partially setup.
    Better yet, offer to trade cars for a week to see if you even like the RX8.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by jrj512 View Post
    Better yet, offer to trade cars for a week to see if you even like the RX8.
    Better yet, go to your local Mahhhhzda dealer and sit in one to make sure you fit!

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    Better yet, go to your local Mahhhhzda dealer and sit in one to make sure you fit!
    And don't forget that like a Miata, if you don't fit in one, but another just like it and you will probably fit.

Spend a lot of money to go slower...than stock.
    Pax
    BS .835
    STX .822
    GS .821

But the car looks cool lowered...

Quote Originally Posted by ken o View Post
    I have been thinking about building an RX-8 for STX. If built right it could be competitive in STX and a good track car. Please discuss.

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

I watched several guys work on RX8's at Daytona last week, and the suicide doors were an advantage
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

I think the RX8 would be great for STX and a lot of fun. Sure you'll be faster in B-stock, but I would venture to say that the STX RX8 would be a more fun to drive during autocross, on the street and at the track.

Those numbers that Sipe put down with his STU RX8 were on a Mustang dyno which generally puts out numbers 15% less than a Dynojet. So we're looking at close to 250 whp! Sounds like a lot of fun to me. Throw on a good coilover system, some big ass sway bars, some 17x9 wheels and 255 tires and you've got a locally competitive car.

Add 18x9s, 265 tires, race seats, and a lightweight battery and you're pretty much maxed out.

I thought Cosmos's RX8 on springs/shocks/255 RA1s was fantastic. I'm sure some 265 Neovas would be just as grippy.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

I will give STX a try whenever I can make it to a SCCA event this year.

My car has tokico dspec shocks and mazdaspeed springs, 17x9 wheels and 255 Neovas. Otherwise it's bone stock down to the stock paper air filter. We will see how it goes.
    94 Miata R package RPF1 195 RS-R RB FSB FCM Bilstein Ebay Coilover 550/350
    91 Civic Si Daily Beater

"Its more fun to drive a slow car fast, than it is to drive a fast car slowly".

So, did you buy an '8 yet?

So, did you buy an '8 yet?
    He sold it three weeks ago. Try to keep up.
    Iain

Nah. Just watching the list to see what is out there.