Thread: '01+ Sway bar mounts

Default '01+ Sway bar mounts

OK... Finally pulled the pan, dropped the old bar out, etc.

The "stopper" is different. It's a metal ring (probably 1.25" ID, originally) that has been crimped down onto the bar in the appropriate spot.

So... should I go to the hardware store and get some 1" ID rubber tubing and cinch it with pipe clamps or should I give this metal ring idea a go?

Opinions are welcome...

Make sure before you pull those collars make sure to get an accurate dimension between them, I'm sure Mazda didn't put them on just for giggles.

Wow, that's entirely different than the '99-'00 stoppers.

I say leave that on the OEM bar, go and find some appropriate rubber tubing or something similar and use a hose clamp. My ghetto fabulous foam tape/hose clamp solution seems to be holding up fine so far.

Iain
    (Proud member of Team Cheap Bastard )
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Okie dokie then... I chatted with Bill at FM... They've never seen it... Maybe guys like Jon W should borrow a cell phone with free long distance and let them know when they break stuff...

In any case, he thinks the hose clamp/heater hose idea is solid for achieving the goal. I actually picked up a thicker piece of "hose"... Elliot's had "junction washers". The 3/4 inch variant has an ID of 1 inch (go figure) and is a perfect width match for the appropriate sized hose clamp. I'm going to use two of the washers on each side to stay away from greasing and to prevent any risk of the hose clamp chewing on the bushing.

Photos will come once Brown Santa does unless the rain comes first...

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser
    Photos will come once Brown Santa does unless the rain comes first...
    It's getting dark and spooky over here in Tarrant County! **Update and now it's raining!

I hate it when I go dyslexic... Guess I'll be finishing this one after a trip to the store to pick up a new bolt... One would never guess there was such a big difference between 18 and 28...

Hey take some pictures of the new set-up for us Pleaze!

Do you want those *before* or *after* i drill out the busted nut, errrr... bolt?

Do you want those *before* or *after* i drill out the busted nut, errrr... bolt?
    Please 'splain... What did ya do?

Ya know those bolts that you use to attach the bushings that hold the bar to the mounts? Well... torque spec is something like 14-20 ft/lbs for the front. The torque for the link attachment is 22-36... Some had written down both numbers on a sheet of paper BUT FORGOT TO LABEL THEM.

AAAAAAAAAARGH!!!! Which means, of course, that I'll (cough-cough) have to leave work early so I can get everything bolted back together tonight and still get to bed EARLY.

Ya know those bolts that you use to attach the bushings that hold the bar to the mounts? Well... torque spec is something like 14-20 ft/lbs for the front. The torque for the link attachment is 22-36... Some had written down both numbers on a sheet of paper BUT FORGOT TO LABEL THEM.

AAAAAAAAAARGH!!!! Which means, of course, that I'll (cough-cough) have to leave work early so I can get everything bolted back together tonight and still get to bed EARLY.
    Did you break the weld nut or just strip it out?

It's a bolt. Head snapped right off the mofo. I think it embedded about an inch in the drywall in the garage. Do damage. The remainder of the bolt spun right back out with my fingers. Whew.

[edit]
    Have I mentioned lately that the folks at Metrics and Multistandard are my heroes? $2.17 later I have 4 new lovely grade 8 bolts. Oddly, no Mazda dealer in the US stocks that bolt... I guess they know how to read torque specs.
    [/edit]