Thread: oil leak question

Default oil leak question

I've got an oil leak that seems to be coming from the top rear of the motor, around the Camshaft position sensor/distributor-ish parts and the rear of the valve cover. Is this common, and or likely to be a valve-cover gasket issue, or should I be looking more in-depth? Since I'm new to Mazda engines, I figured I'd ask for special things to look at before I just go and swap the top gasket and then find out I need to do it again along with other stuff. The valve covers are definitely torque'd down properly. Thoughts or suggestions?
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

It's common. CAI o-ring, not valve cover gasket.
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

Blog Entries

The CPS/CAS has a simple O ring that can be replaced by removing the timing bolt and pulling the CPS out. If it is neglected to long it can oil the clutch. Look here for help: http://www.miata.net/garage/cas_seal.html
    Stripe Das Sape

We are leading the world to democracy by example.

Orange cones fear me. cone-cerned's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MadMerv View Post
    It's common. CAI o-ring, not valve cover gasket.
    +1, and check your heater hoses. My o-ring leaked and the oil softened the heater hose to failure.
    On the track, I am fearless.
    If you were as slow as me, you wouldn't be afraid either.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

You guys rock. I'll do it after work today. Might even make it to Willhoite's if I finish in time!
    Polished Turd Racing

Quote Originally Posted by cone-cerned View Post
    +1, and check your heater hoses. My o-ring leaked and the oil softened the heater hose to failure.
    That's only on the 1.8L NA motors, not the 1.6L.

Although while you have it out there's a little rubber cap covering an unused water port on the head. Check it for cracks as it may need replacing.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Orange cones fear me. cone-cerned's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by channelmaniac View Post
    That's only on the 1.8L NA motors, not the 1.6L.

Although while you have it out there's a little rubber cap covering an unused water port on the head. Check it for cracks as it may need replacing.

RJ
    Sorry, I forgot he has a 1.6L. CRS is a B*tch.
    On the track, I am fearless.
    If you were as slow as me, you wouldn't be afraid either.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

This o-ring was definitely flattened, and the PO had tried to use gasket-maker to seal it in, to minimal avail. Cleaned it up real nice, put in the new o-ring, and I'll drive it around some tomorrow to see if that was the only leak. I sprayed some orange degreaser all around/below that area after it was back together, so I'll rinse it in the morning and hopefully have a better idea of the leak situation(s). I think I'm gonna go ahead and pull the valve cover and do that gasket this weekend, as it appears there is a lot of gasket-maker on that thing. I'd rather drop $25 for a new one and know its done right. Plus, I can do a little painting on the valve cover too. :) Any recommendations on paint for that valve cover? Does it need priming/acid etching?
    Polished Turd Racing

Blog Entries

Be lazy like me and buy a powder coated one from Trackdog: http://www.trackdogracing.com/
    Or there is a thread on Miata.net about painting: http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread...am+cover+paint
    It sounds like you are going to have that car raring to go this season.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Stripe Das Sape

We are leading the world to democracy by example.

Quote Originally Posted by OZMDD View Post
    I think I'm gonna go ahead and pull the valve cover and do that gasket this weekend, as it appears there is a lot of gasket-maker on that thing. I'd rather drop $25 for a new one and know its done right.
    You will need some gasket maker stuff too, for where the corners where the gasket goes up and over the camshafts. You put just a little there to insure that it won't leak.
    '08 Copper Red GT PRHT, '06 Accord EXL, '05 Dodge Magnum R/T, '01 V8 Dakota for pulling 2135 Chaparral.

Got it. I have the Haynes, along with all the great DIY's on these forums! :)
    Polished Turd Racing