Thread: Replace transmission in 2002 GMC Yukon...

Default Replace transmission in 2002 GMC Yukon...

Has anyone ever done one? if so how hard is it and is any special tools necessary?
    Hmm what is decent? Are we talking about your decent or my decent? I'm just curious because I don't want to offend anyone else's decent...

Now I know what GM meant when they said "like a rock".

Seriously on my 99, it always ended up being a trip to the shop, to fine tune that GM feeling. Wish I could help.

Quote Originally Posted by Ataim View Post
    Has anyone ever done one? if so how hard is it and is any special tools necessary?
    Yes. I've done quite a few GM truck transmission changes. I assume it is 2WD and automatic. You'll need tools to release the quick-connect trans cooler lines (you can borrow 'em if you need). I'd recommend long extensions with swivel sockets (15mm) made of "impact" grade steel. Motivated workers can get by with less specialized tools, though.
    1994 R-package - gone, but not forgotten.
    1966 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40. Restification in progress. or should I say De-RUSTification in progress?
    1984 Honda VF1100S. V4 Fury!

Talking

Why stop with just the transmission replace the entire thing with a Sequoia.

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    Why stop with just the transmission replace the entire thing with a Sequoia.
    That is why GM needs to go bankrupt so that Toyota can start making the Yukon in Detroit!
    Gabriel

This job is MUCH easier with a transmission jack. I have the Harbor Freight transmission attachment for floor jacks with remoeable cradles i fyou need a loner. Its easy to use and very heavy-duty. Doesn't hurt to have an engine hoist to support the motor either. You'll have a big crossmember to unbolt at the rear of the tranny, so make sure youve got the right tool for that. Probably a large bolt, but GM puts TORX stuff in some strange places.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

Have you already sourced a tranny? Seems like most places would do the install for not much more than the cost of the tranny, as its pretty simple and they get to keep the core.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

I also have a 2002 Yukon. How many miles did you get out of the transmission? What was the specific failure? Just curious.

Mine has been retired to weekend hauler and truck duty only. I bought a more sensible daily driver.