Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MSR Track Day

Default MSR Track Day

I am seeing if there would be any interest in setting up a MSR track day on the 3.1. It is gonna be a different format than most track days, since there is gonna be a "Time Attack" competition as well. It will be a way for people to get both track time and, for the more hardcore, test their cars and skillz against the clock and other Miatas. We would need at least 80 participants to keep the price at $200/Ea. It would be open to all miatas, and MX5s.

If you are interested, let me know.

Thanks!
    Wealth, power, and experience are apparently not enough to save us from social influences. Groupthink, as described by I.L.Janis, is the tendency for group members to reach a consensus opinion, even if that decision is downright stupid (Janis 1982).

Interested.

Chris
    91 Miata (#3), Rattle Can Grey(previous owner), Greddy Turbo @7 PSI and Manifold (Only items remaining from the kit), TDR I/C, Godspeed Radiator, RM DP, 2.5 Enthuza Bipes, BEGI AFPR, ACT, Lightened Stock Flywheel, Yellow Konis, FCM on Stock Springs, HDM2S, MOMO Wheel, Ratsback Front CF Lip, Black Rota's on EcstaXS, Corrado Rotors & XP8's on Front w/ 1.8 rears.

http://austinmiata.com/

Wishlist: Megasquirt to run 12-13 PSI, White non-spray paint job, 8" 6UL's, RX7 LSD, Evans Waterless Coolant

Default Wed. Meeting.

I know this is out of post, but was looking for the post for tonights meeting. I'm just not seeing it.

Dan try the gtg post get-together.

I'm probably up for MSR but 200 is alot for 80 cars isn't it? How much track time and are roll bars necessary?

MSR Safety rules still apply for open top cars. So you need a hardtop or some sort of roll protection. They even let cars on course who have the crappy "style bars". So just tape some paper towel rolls together to look like a rollbar and you should be good to go. (joking)
    Wealth, power, and experience are apparently not enough to save us from social influences. Groupthink, as described by I.L.Janis, is the tendency for group members to reach a consensus opinion, even if that decision is downright stupid (Janis 1982).

Quote Originally Posted by Nails View Post
    Dan try the gtg post get-together.

I'm probably up for MSR but 200 is alot for 80 cars isn't it? How much track time and are roll bars necessary?
    5 sessions. The cost to rent the 3.1 isn't cheap. Plus we'll probably cater in some food, and have prizes and trophies. It adds up pretty quick.

Quote Originally Posted by ray_sir_6 View Post
    5 sessions. The cost to rent the 3.1 isn't cheap. Plus we'll probably cater in some food, and have prizes and trophies. It adds up pretty quick.

If this is going to have Miata Time Attack, I'm sure it will attract more than the normal DFW/TX crowd.

Too bad we can't do a Dyno out there too.

Chris
    91 Miata (#3), Rattle Can Grey(previous owner), Greddy Turbo @7 PSI and Manifold (Only items remaining from the kit), TDR I/C, Godspeed Radiator, RM DP, 2.5 Enthuza Bipes, BEGI AFPR, ACT, Lightened Stock Flywheel, Yellow Konis, FCM on Stock Springs, HDM2S, MOMO Wheel, Ratsback Front CF Lip, Black Rota's on EcstaXS, Corrado Rotors & XP8's on Front w/ 1.8 rears.

http://austinmiata.com/

Wishlist: Megasquirt to run 12-13 PSI, White non-spray paint job, 8" 6UL's, RX7 LSD, Evans Waterless Coolant

I am seeing if there would be any interest in setting up a MSR track day on the 3.1. It is gonna be a different format than most track days, since there is gonna be a "Time Attack" competition as well. It will be a way for people to get both track time and, for the more hardcore, test their cars and skillz against the clock and other Miatas. We would need at least 80 participants to keep the price at $200/Ea. It would be open to all miatas, and MX5s.

If you are interested, let me know.

Thanks!
    Good luck finding 80 Miatas/MX5s in DFW willing to pony up for a track day. Gary used to organize Focus Days at MSR that were half the price, and we were doing well if we got 30-35 participants at those events.

I assume the price is so high (80*$200 = $16,000) because you are effectively renting both tracks? I'd suggest you lower your sights to just renting one track, and either open the event up to other marques or expect a whole lot fewer than 80 cars to show up.

Also, does that $200 fee include transponder rental, or will that be an additional cost?

FWIW, I can go to a NASA Time Trial for about 50% more than what you're planning to charge, and I get two separate days of competition.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade, but I think what you've laid out in your original post is unrealistic.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by Miatamaniac92 View Post

Talk to Team MER. Maybe something could be worked out. They have opened their new shop

Quote Originally Posted by Miatamaniac92 View Post
    If this is going to have Miata Time Attack, I'm sure it will attract more than the normal DFW/TX crowd.

Chris
    There is a dyno out there.

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post
    Good luck finding 80 Miatas/MX5s in DFW willing to pony up for a track day. Gary used to organize Focus Days at MSR that were half the price, and we were doing well if we got 30-35 participants at those events.

I assume the price is so high (80*$200 = $16,000) because you are effectively renting both tracks? I'd suggest you lower your sights to just renting one track, and either open the event up to other marques or expect a whole lot fewer than 80 cars to show up.

Also, does that $200 fee include transponder rental, or will that be an additional cost?

FWIW, I can go to a NASA Time Trial for about 50% more than what you're planning to charge, and I get two separate days of competition.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade, but I think what you've laid out in your original post is unrealistic.
    The $200 is just for track time as of now. If we go over the 80 and get closer to 100, we can start adding free catered lunch, cash prices, etc. It's not just gonna be a Time Attack event, but a fun track day where people can get on the track, and then enjoy a Time Attack competition. There aren't enough of either the softcore or hardcore Miata owners alone to make 80, but hopefully catering to both sides in the same event will get enough participation.

I'm not trying to setup a full Time Attack event, and I don't have the backing of SCCA or NASA to do it, either. I just think it would be cool to see a track event full of Miatas, where people could drive them on the track, hang out and talk Miatas, then watch some fast Miatas battle for bragging rights.

The last TDR event at MSR was 60ish participants. There are alot of people in the region who race SMs, IT Miatas, and just street/track extreme cars who could be interested. I am sure alot of people would like to get a chance to see what their cars can do with an open track, without 20 other SMs banging into you. Or maybe pull the restrictor off the 1.8 SM cars and see how they run.

I want to run the 3.1 cause it is a big enough track for 10 cars to have room to go for hot lap without having traffic issues. That way we can do a shorter time for the Time Attack event and get all the other participants adequate track time.

Quote Originally Posted by smartmx5 View Post
    Talk to Team MER. Maybe something could be worked out. They have opened their new shop
    I am sure they would be willing to take appointments to do dynos during the event. I doubt they would want to sit there HOPING someone wants to do a few dyno pulls. We all know people like to say, "I'll be there", but it normally isn't something to stake a business adventure on. Get enough appointments and it'll be worth their wild to stay open for possible walk-in dynos during the event.

I want to run the 3.1 cause it is a big enough track for 10 cars to have room to go for hot lap without having traffic issues. That way we can do a shorter time for the Time Attack event and get all the other participants adequate track time.
    The 1.7 is more than large enough to space out 10-15 cars for time attack sessions. I regularly run in groups out there with 10-15 cars on the track with huge speed differentials (from Spec Miatas to SRT-10 ACRs), and I can usually run at least 50% of a session without any traffic at all.

You can also get more laps in a session on the 1.7. With a warm-up and cool-down you'd get what, maybe 3 or 4 hot laps on the 3.1 in 20 minutes?
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

The 1.7 is more than large enough to space out 10-15 cars for time attack sessions. I regularly run in groups out there with 10-15 cars on the track with huge speed differentials (from Spec Miatas to SRT-10 ACRs), and I can usually run at least 50% of a session without any traffic at all.

You can also get more laps in a session on the 1.7. With a warm-up and cool-down you'd get what, maybe 3 or 4 hot laps on the 3.1 in 20 minutes?
    Just from past events, I agree with Iain. Alot of people said they were in for Gary's shindig but, decided otherwise when the money came due. I am interested nonetheless. I just like being on the track. Plus, maybe all the experts that run the track would be willing to show us how to run the track FAST...

Then you weren't going fast enough. I have the video of my Miata doing a 20 min session on the 1.7 last Sunday, and we had only a few clean laps. There was about 8-9 cars on the track with us. We ran 2:30 on the 3.1 with my car last time we were out there. That's about 8 laps in a 20 min session, which should be PLENTY to get the tires warm and run 5-6 fast laps.

Then you weren't going fast enough.
    LOL! I can't wait to hear Altiain's reply to this!

Anyway, I'd probably be interested. When were you thinking about holding this event? I'm guessing from your earlier comments that the stock NC roll bars would be suitable for this.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

And people are saying that Miata World 2 is expensive. At least they're including 3 decent meals!

If the price point comes down I'm interested - depending on when it is. I'd guess you'll need at least 4-5 months lead time to solidify 80+ entrants.

Then you weren't going fast enough. I have the video of my Miata doing a 20 min session on the 1.7 last Sunday, and we had only a few clean laps. There was about 8-9 cars on the track with us.
    That's cute. You ran at a focus day full of newbs. What did you expect? Run the 1.7 with 10-15 people who really know what they're doing, and you'd be suprised just how little traffic is an issue. Since the 1.7 isn't really a horsepower course, there isn't a huge lap time differential between really fast cars and really slow cars, but there is a huge time differential between good drivers and not-so-good drivers.

We ran 2:30 on the 3.1 with my car last time we were out there. That's about 8 laps in a 20 min session, which should be PLENTY to get the tires warm and run 5-6 fast laps.
    I beg to differ. 2.5 minutes * 8 laps = 20 minutes exactly. Back out a warm up lap and a cool down lap (both of which will be longer than your best hot lap), and you have less than 6 hot laps. That's assuming you're the first car out and the session is an absolute minimum of twenty minutes, which is pretty optimistic. So, 5 laps at speed if you're lucky, more likely 4 laps in the real world. You certainly won't get six laps. Either way that's still a lot fewer than you'd get on the 1.7.
    Last edited by altiain; 10-23-2008 at 07:41 AM.
    Iain

I can see a lot of potential problems with MSR newbies running a "time attack" session on the 1.3 portion of the track...

Good luck with this...I'd love to come out an watch the carnage.
    Speed

––––––––––––––––?? ?––––––––––––––––? ??––––
    Don't look...there's nothing down here for you!

Quote Originally Posted by miataspeedracer View Post
    I can see a lot of potential problems with MSR newbies running a "time attack" session on the 1.3 portion of the track...

:Claps:
    Blah blah blah!

That's cute. You ran at a focus day full of newbs. What did you expect? Run the 1.7 with 10-15 people who really know what they're doing, and you'd be suprised just how little traffic is an issue. Since the 1.7 isn't really a horsepower course, there isn't a huge lap time differential between really fast cars and really slow cars, but there is a huge time differential between good drivers and not-so-good drivers.

I beg to differ. 2.5 minutes * 8 laps = 20 minutes exactly. Back out a warm up lap and a cool down lap (both of which will be longer than your best hot lap), and you have less than 6 hot laps. That's assuming you're the first car out and the session is an absolute minimum of twenty minutes, which is pretty optimistic. So, 5 laps at speed if you're lucky, more likely 4 laps in the real world. You certainly won't get six laps. Either way that's still a lot fewer than you'd get on the 1.7.
    There were only 2 cars that didn't have lots of experience on the track. It was the "faster" group. The Red Si was on his second MSR event, and the Probe, who was just a jackass who admitted to having no brakes but still staying on the course cause he wanted to get his money's worth. Maybe they weren't Pro drivers, but they weren't noobs either. We are gonna have NA, and FI cars, some with slicks, some on street tires, all on the same track at the same time. The 1.7 won't work, cause you'll be passing other cars on too many laps. Even if you get only 3 fast laps, it shouldn't matter, it's not an "average time" event, it's about running the fastest single lap. So you really only need 1.

Quote Originally Posted by miataspeedracer View Post

Well, obviously, to run in the Time Attack you would not be a novice driver. I would hope people have some common sense about them and would know if they are good enough to be in the TA. The 1.3 is a most have to me, cause every experienced driver I have talked to says that is the best course at MSR. They all say that if they had to choose, they would take the 1.3 everytime. The 1.3 is just not big enough to use for this event alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Miatamoto View Post
    LOL! I can't wait to hear Altiain's reply to this!

Anyway, I'd probably be interested. When were you thinking about holding this event? I'm guessing from your earlier comments that the stock NC roll bars would be suitable for this.
    Obviously it isn't gonna be in the near future. MSR is normally 4- 6 months out for booking, and I am gonna need to see enough people showing interest. After I see the interest at a level that looks promising, I'll start asking for 50% deposits to hold spots for people, and getting sponsors. That is what will really determine the date, as I can't reserve the track without money.

"I would hope people have some common sense about them and would know if they are good enough to be in the TA."

Hey, I don't know you and wish you all the best with this event, but the above comment just illustrates what I'd be worrying about...

And the reason the experienced drivers prefer the 1.3 section is because it's much trickier and more technical than the 1.7. It's also a lot more punishing when mistakes are made.
    Speed

––––––––––––––––?? ?––––––––––––––––? ??––––
    Don't look...there's nothing down here for you!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast