Thread: 100+ MPG PLUG-IN HYBRID Hummer H3

Default 100+ MPG PLUG-IN HYBRID Hummer H3

Yeah, if you read the fine print, they calculate 100+ mpg by assuming that virtually all of your driving will be done on the 40-mile pure electric range. Unfortunately, if you actually drove it for 100 miles you'd use quite a bit more than one gallon of fuel.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Yeah, they are basing it on what they assume as fact that X% of people drive less than 40 miles day. Pretty cool, either way. The biggest myth of green vehicles is that is will reduce 'green house emissions'. The proponents of this theory disregard telling people will pay more for electricity due to the high demand of CHARGING EVs. Also, that more coal, water, nuclear, etc. energy will be need and thus, in some avenues, will increase 'green house emissions'. I know the Hybrid H3 is not an EV.

Driver
    The Enclave at The Villages of Deer Run at Quail Arroyo Estates de Chandelier Crossing
    Blog Entries

Default Reminds me of this Steven Wright joke:

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    Unfortunately, if you actually drove it for 100 miles you'd use quite a bit more than one gallon of fuel.
    I went down the street to the 24-hour grocery
    When I got there, the guy was locking the front door.
    I said, "Hey, the sign says you're open 24 hours."
    He said, "Yes, but not in a row."

I wonder if that would improve if they used a diesel engine for the generator over gas?

actually, there are a lot of upsides to plug-in electrics...

With proper, high-amp charging stations for "typical" drivers at <50 miles per day, the charge can be done in <2 hours. If the "smart grid" comes to play, the electric company can schedule those charges during off peak hours in such a way as to balance demand during that 12am to 4am period when plants are no where near capacity but still running. No net increase in fuel uses by the power companies, but your car still gets charged.

We just need to build the batteries that are environmentally sound, safe and economically feasible to store the power... Current batteries barely meet any of those criteria - much less all 3 at the same time.

OTOH, we can clean up cars all we want, but 45 super tankers emit more pollutants than all the cars in the world... and there are more than 45 of them...
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser View Post
    If the "smart grid" comes to play, the electric company can schedule those charges during off peak hours in such a way as to balance demand during that 12am to 4am period when plants are no where near capacity but still running. No net increase in fuel uses by the power companies, but your car still gets charged.
    Elaborate a little more on this. I need to understand 'No net increase in fuel uses by the power company' a little more.

Quote Originally Posted by smartmx5 View Post
    Elaborate a little more on this. I need to understand 'No net increase in fuel uses by the power company' a little more.
    The generators run at a fixed speed, regardless (give or take a few %) of demand. A given generator is either on or off. When the "smart grid" comes to fruition, the power company will be able to control/coordinate when "optional" appliances are on so that during off peak times demand is as close as possible to 100% for a given subset of generation facilities.
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Is'nt this technology basically like what we use on a diesel locomotive?

I know there was a company out there about 10 years ago working on this same type system to put in a Class 8 truck(i.e. Kenworth) for hauling freight.

Great in theory, but it will probably cost $100K to buy one.
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

please note that, in the spirit of dfwmiata.com thread drift principles, my comments relate to pure electric vehicles, using either batteries or hydrogen generated by electrolysis, not hybrids. Hybrids are just silly. The cost of the battery systems will never be recouped. They're nothing but a cute party trick - made cool only because they're subsidized by fed money.

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser View Post
    The generators run at a fixed speed, regardless (give or take a few %) of demand. A given generator is either on or off. When the "smart grid" comes to fruition, the power company will be able to control/coordinate when "optional" appliances are on so that during off peak times demand is as close as possible to 100% for a given subset of generation facilities.
    I can't let this slide... A generator will use a lot more fuel loaded vs. unloaded.
    There, I feel much better now.