Thread: Dealership Story-

Default Dealership Story-

So we were shopping around today for a new Honda for my wife... while we were walking around looking at the cars, my eye caught a glimpse of a Miata sitting the used car lot. Salesman got to talking about the Accords and I wandered off to look at the Miata. At first, I thought it was black... turns out it was a very dark green with bluish highlights... a color I've never seen. It was a '97 in decent condition... but the asking price was $7k! The salesman came out and started the full court press, with the usual cliches... and he gets to asking me about why I want a Miata. I tell him, I already have one... he blurts out, "You fit in a Miata?"

So after I let him catch his breath, he starts talking money. He says, "We'll sell this baby for $6900"... I start with, "That car will maybe sell for 5K". He says, "no way!"

Where do these guys get these prices? I guess they took a bath when they traded for the car.

Mind you, I'm looking for a Honda for the wife. After that, I can look at Miatas again.... but I can guarantee you, I'll never pick up a Miata at a dealer... unless they goof on pricing.

montego blue. only on base models after 95 iirc
    03 LS FM2ish TDR I/C
    99 Disco, the go anywhere ride

Hey the price isn't that far off. You know dealers are always going to get more, just because they make the financing easy.

http://www.kbb.com/kb/ki.dll/kw.kc.u...mp;usedcarstab

Here's what Kelly Blue book says:

Texas • December 20, 2004
    1997 Mazda Miata MX-5 Convertible 2D
    Engine: 4-Cyl. 1.8 Liter
    Trans: 5 Speed Manual
    Drive: Rear Wheel Drive
    Mileage: 80,000

Equipment
    Air Conditioning
    Power Steering
    Power Windows
    AM/FM Stereo
    Cassette
    Dual Front Air Bags

Retail Value Search Local Listings for This Car $7,200

I already have one... he blurts out, "You fit in a Miata?"
    :P lmao :P

I've got a buddy (that I met on LS1.com) that used to hate "ricers" untill he drove my '97 last week to the Dyno. Now his story is "It's a cool/fun car, but it just doesn't fit me." He said he has to roll the window down so he's got some place to put his arm. I keep telling him that If he got a seat (I'm refering to your aftermarket seat, not your backside) like yours he may fit better. Of couse I'd love for him to by the Silver '90 one from me.
    '08 Copper Red GT PRHT, '06 Accord EXL, '05 Dodge Magnum R/T, '01 V8 Dakota for pulling 2135 Chaparral.

Yeah, sadly enough, the asking price wasn't too far off for a dealer. Ma n' Pa dealers sell 92's and 93's for $5995, and they sell like hotcakes. Just pitiful.
    Of all the world's greatest contradictions...'British Engineering' is by far my favorite oxymoron.

Quote Originally Posted by TroyAndEddie
    Yeah, sadly enough, the asking price wasn't too far off for a dealer. Ma n' Pa dealers sell 92's and 93's for $5995, and they sell like hotcakes. Just pitiful.
    Asking price and selling price can be two very different things.