Thread: NA Help

Default NA Help

Hey guys, I am doing a thorough maintenance on my B-I-L 92 B&T. One of the things that needs addressing is the A/C. How well do the conversion kits from autozone work? how hard is it to recharge the system?
    2005 Lava Orange MSM #601/1428
    211 rwhp, 195 ft. lbs on 1/6/07

Driver
    Blog Entries

I used one on a previous car and it worked adequately, not fantastically. After a few years I was inspired to clean the expansion valve, and that made some difference.

There is one "gotcha" when dealing with the conversion. I forget the specifics, but there are some oils that are incompatible with each other, and if you mix them they clog the system and take out the compressor and expansion valve. (Ask me how I know.)

If I had an NA with inadequate R12, I'd let an A/C shop suck it out, (the one I went to did it for free, provided he got to keep it,) fix any leaks, put the system on a vacuum, then put the conversion valves on and add the right amount of R134a.

The RIGHT way to do it is more complicated, involves replacing the expansion valve and the drier. That added too much cost and complexity on the previous car, so I didn't go that route.

Hope this helps
    Mike Walsted - Not an expert, just a data point.
    1999 Miata
    2003 MIata
    1999 Miata
    2001 Kia Rio

I have about 23 pounds of r12. I posted it for sale in classifieds awhile back.