Thread: Formula 1 Teams Association announces breakaway series for 2010

Default Formula 1 Teams Association announces breakaway series for 2010

Well, it's official now...

Quote Originally Posted by Autoblog
    It's official: F1 is broken. At least, with the FOTA's announcement it will create a rival championship, it appears that F1 as we have known it is all but broken. Max Mosley and the FIA have gone back and forth with the FOTA for months, with neither side able to agree on a compromise and both sides claiming the other party is being intransigent.

After meeting at Renault's Enstone, England headquarters the eight "rebel" teams (Ferrari, McLaren, Toyota, Renault, BMW, Brawn, Red Bull, Toro Rosso) decided there was no way to proceed with the FIA, so it would proceed without the FIA. The crucial bits of their follow-up press release state:

"The teams cannot continue to compromise on the fundamental values of the sport and have declined to alter their original conditional entries to the 2010 World Championship.

"These teams therefore have no alternative other than to commence the preparation for a new Championship which reflects the values of its participants and partners. This series will have transparent governance, one set of regulations, encourage more entrants and listen to the wishes of the fans, including offering lower prices for spectators worldwide, partners and other important stakeholders.

"The major drivers, stars, brands, sponsors, promoters and companies historically associated with the highest level of motorsport will all feature in this new series."

The release goes on to address issues the FOTA has with the "commercial rights holder," by which they mean Bernie Ecclestone. If they mean what they've written, a more stable and less expensive F1 would be a victory for teams and fans. Track owners would probably also profit, since they pay Ecclestone more than ten million pounds simply for the right to hold an F1 race -- and that's part of the money the teams want a bigger share of.

Many observers have said the teams won't set up another championship because they're too focused on selling cars. But the FOTA has already spoken to Carmelo Ezpeleta, whose Dorna Sports company is in charge of Moto GP, and who has experience in taking control of the series from the FIM. If he can provide a turn-key solution, the teams can stick to doing what they do best.

We suspect the FOTA is correct and that brands, sponsors and promoters will follow the breakaway series rather than hang back with Williams, Force India and eight other teams in the F1 reset series. The question is: if those eight teams follow through, and assuming they take their contracted drivers, which series will get your attention next year?

For now, though, bring on the lawyers.
    IMHO, it's the best thing that could have happened to the sport. Ecclestone and Mosley have needed a serious kick in the ass for way too long.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Yep, look how well the American open-wheel split worked out for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by jrj512 View Post
    Yep, look how well the American open-wheel split worked out for everyone.
    Different party... I think little but good can come from this. It's a whole different equation when the Ferrari nameplate is involved. Ecclestone can now pack his shit and get the hell out.
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post
    Ecclestone and Mosley have needed a serious kick in the ass for way too long.
    Agreed. 10 Million is a lot of money
    "Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser View Post
    It's a whole different equation when the Ferrari nameplate is involved.
    Just like the Indianapolis 500 nameplate that was involved? The result was downgraded product for IRL, CART, and the Indy 500. I am not saying that F1 should not split, but let's not jump for joy and assume all will be good.

Just like the Indianapolis 500 nameplate that was involved? The result was downgraded product for IRL, CART, and the Indy 500. I am not saying that F1 should not split, but let's not jump for joy and assume all will be good.
    The Indy nameplate has been diluted in value over and over. Ferrari *means* racing to more people around the globe than any other single word. Even jackasses like me who like to see the red cars lose!
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

This could be a refreshing move, the way the current F1 world is being run is disgraceful. Indy/IRL sucks and I'm pissed it dragged Champ Car in with it. Now all we have is open wheel and stock car roundy round racing with an occasional road course circuit thrown in.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

2 different F1ish series should result in more venues.

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    2 different F1ish series should result in more venues.
    Exactly. Hopefully they'll revive the USGP at a track worthy of the name. Laguna Seca? Road America? Watkins Glen? Road Atlanta?

Heck, just about anywhere has to be better than the Indy road course.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by Darron65 View Post
    But wait, there's more. Max Mosley renegging on promise to step down

What a wanker.
    Some of the comments below that article pretty well sum it all up...

Mosley, how about an apology for screwing up Formula 1 for the past decade yourself you pompous ass.
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

Heck, just about anywhere has to be better than the Indy road course.
    +10

For you young whipper snappers. Even The Dallas F1 race was better than Indy. 1984. Some genius, (I will let you guess who), thought it would be a good idea to have that event in the summer. Notice the guy passing out as he pushed his car to the finish line. Yes, Lotus use to be a contender in F1.

In car video below
    Last edited by general default; 06-26-2009 at 03:23 PM.

Mosley is a raving nutbag. FOTA needs to tell Bernie, Mad Max, and the FIA to go f*** themselves, and follow through with starting a new series. This is ridiculous.
    Iain

Quote Originally Posted by general default View Post
    For you young whipper snappers. Even The Dallas F1 race was better than Indy. 1984.
    I was there.

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

I was there.
    You're not old enough to have been there. I was there and still have the cup to prove it

I remember two firsts that week. I saw Ferraris being taken out of the trailer on tire/wheel combos that looked like donut spares, and I suffered my first ever fire ant bite

We now return you to the original thread...
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Mosley is a raving nutbag. FOTA needs to tell Bernie, Mad Max, and the FIA to go f*** themselves, and follow through with starting a new series. This is ridiculous.
    http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,530106,00.html Bernie is also a nutbag
    "Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan

Wake me when WRC comes to the US (or atleast TV).

Chris
    91 Miata (#3), Rattle Can Grey(previous owner), Greddy Turbo @7 PSI and Manifold (Only items remaining from the kit), TDR I/C, Godspeed Radiator, RM DP, 2.5 Enthuza Bipes, BEGI AFPR, ACT, Lightened Stock Flywheel, Yellow Konis, FCM on Stock Springs, HDM2S, MOMO Wheel, Ratsback Front CF Lip, Black Rota's on EcstaXS, Corrado Rotors & XP8's on Front w/ 1.8 rears.

http://austinmiata.com/

Wishlist: Megasquirt to run 12-13 PSI, White non-spray paint job, 8" 6UL's, RX7 LSD, Evans Waterless Coolant

Quote Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
    This could be a refreshing move, the way the current F1 world is being run is disgraceful. Indy/IRL sucks and I'm pissed it dragged Champ Car in with it. Now all we have is open wheel and stock car roundy round racing with an occasional road course circuit thrown in.
    Old post, but I just wanted to point out that you're a bit off on this. IRL is pushing for a 50/50 split of street/road courses and ovals for next season.

Barber has been announced for the 2010 season, as of this week.
    '02 Berlina S2k
    J's 60RS, K&N FIPK, AUT CF cooling panel,
    JDM sidemarkers, S badges, BYS emblems,
    Mugen TP, 11.7:1 CR, Comptech Header,
    Hello Kitty Mugen badge