Thread: MX-2 anyone??

Default MX-2 anyone??

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Nice. Too bad it will probably never make it to the US.

its not a bad idea at all. i like it a small lightweight sporty car. maybe it will be basic also as far as options. kinda going back to the original miata but cheaper.......hopefully lol
    2004 Saturn Ion Redline
    Wrong Wheel Drive
    1992 Grey MX-5
    Right Wheel Drive
    http://profile.imageshack.us/user/jeepinbanditride

Very nice. VW will also be introducing a small drop top with a diesel engine in 2012.
    Bobby

RED RULES!
    90 Miata, 04 Rubicon, 05 Boxster

Looks nice. I hope it is a back-to-basics car. Forget all the creature comforts! I would like to know:
    How much smaller?
    Weight?
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

It looks good, but I'll bet this is really the smaller, lighter next generation MX-5 we've heard Mazda talk about before. Since there is already a 1.8L NC mX-5 available abroad, I have to wonder how big the potential market is for a roadster positioned below the MX-5, especially if the range-topping version is expected to make similar power and weigh less.

I'd really like to see Mazda develop a couple of other products first:

• A new RX-7. Take the Renesis 16X, shorten the existing RX-8 platform, and build a ~2700 pound, 280+ horsepower, naturally aspirated pure sports car to compete against the 370Z. Keep the base price around $30k, and you'll have a winner. Mazda needs a new halo sports car, and this is the most logical choice.
    • Take the RX-8 platform, stretch it just a bit and add two real rear doors. Keep it rear-wheel drive. Drop in a version of the 2.3L DISI MZR engine (maybe punched out to 2.5L?) and go after the 3 Series, Lexus IS, and Infiniti G37. Give it 280-300 horsepower, keep the weight down to 3100-3200 pounds, and give it Mazda's trademark steering, braking, and handling, along with a standard limited slip diff. Sell a range from cloth seats, no sunroof, and a 6-speed manual at $30k and take it all the way up to leather, nav, sunroof, and a DSG tranny at $40k, and watch the 3 Series finally meet its match.

To me, either of these ideas makes more sense than another roadster positioned below the MX-5, but I guess that's why I'm in engineering and not marketing.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post
    It looks good, but I'll bet this is really the smaller, lighter next generation MX-5 we've heard Mazda talk about before. Since there is already a 1.8L NC mX-5 available abroad, I have to wonder how big the potential market is for a roadster positioned below the MX-5, especially if the range-topping version is expected to make similar power and weigh less.

• A new RX-7. Take the Renesis 16X, shorten the existing RX-8 platform, and build a ~2700 pound, 280+ horsepower, naturally aspirated pure sports car to compete against the 370Z. Keep the base price around $30k, and you'll have a winner. Mazda needs a new halo sports car, and this is the most logical choice.
    • Take the RX-8 platform, stretch it just a bit and add two real rear doors. Keep it rear-wheel drive. Drop in a version of the 2.3L DISI MZR engine (maybe punched out to 2.5L?) and go after the 3 Series, Lexus IS, and Infiniti G37. Give it 280-300 horsepower, keep the weight down to 3100-3200 pounds, and give it Mazda's trademark steering, braking, and handling, along with a standard limited slip diff. Sell a range from cloth seats, no sunroof, and a 6-speed manual at $30k and take it all the way up to leather, nav, sunroof, and a DSG tranny at $40k, and watch the 3 Series finally meet its match.

To me, either of these ideas makes more sense than another roadster positioned below the MX-5, but I guess that's why I'm in engineering and not marketing.
    I like idea #1 but I don't think people cross shopping a top of the range 3 series will really give a crap about a RX-8 type car with a 4 cyl (even if it's turbo). It may be able to pull some 328 shoppers that want more performance but can't afford a 335 but most 328 buyers don't care about the extra performance of the 335 and most 335 shoppers wouldn't downgrade to a Mazda even if it was cheaper and had the same performance.

I like the idea of a 2100 pound, 160 hp Miata with good brakes, handling.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

So this would be the replacement for the MX5?

To me thats what the NC should have looked like. Instead of what it looks like now. It looks more like a miata than the NC does; but maybe thats just me.
    Blah blah blah!

Quote Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
    I like idea #1 but I don't think people cross shopping a top of the range 3 series will really give a crap about a RX-8 type car with a 4 cyl (even if it's turbo). It may be able to pull some 328 shoppers that want more performance but can't afford a 335 but most 328 buyers don't care about the extra performance of the 335 and most 335 shoppers wouldn't downgrade to a Mazda even if it was cheaper and had the same performance.
    You're probably right, but I don't think this would have to be a high volume machine. The RX-8 platform is scalable, the engine already exists, and if I'm not mistaken it uses the same bellhousing pattern as the 2.0L MZR (meaning Mazda has available transmissions that would work for a longitudinal setup). Your engineering costs would be much lower than a ground up model.

I think the $30-40k sports sedan market would definitely support something like this. You might not get much cross-shopping between a loaded $50k 335i, but there are plenty of people buying 328s, IS250s, and G37s that might be interested in a higher performance alternative from Mazda.

Remember, no one thought that a $40k Korean RWD luxury sedan would sell in this country either - especially in this economy - but Hyundai has already sold 15,000 Genesis sedans since its introduction last year.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    I hope that's close to what the 4th gen Miata will be here in the states. There are already rumors about the next gen being smaller and lighter than the 1st gen's were.

That would be sweet!

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    Ohhhhh... I like that! As a replacement to the current MX-5, that is. The current NC leaves me a little... uninspired... in it's styling. Keep the current MX-5 engine, but put it in that chassis, and I might have to have one
    "That which does not kill us, just makes us madder"
    Cletus Nietzsche (Friedrich's half-brother on his sister's side)

I like it, the MX-5 does need to go on a diet.

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post

-What's the latest info on the 16X, wiki isn't very helpful.

-I think Mazda would have to stick a >3.0L to compete with the 3 series or the G37.

Chris
    91 Miata (#3), Rattle Can Grey(previous owner), Greddy Turbo @7 PSI and Manifold (Only items remaining from the kit), TDR I/C, Godspeed Radiator, RM DP, 2.5 Enthuza Bipes, BEGI AFPR, ACT, Lightened Stock Flywheel, Yellow Konis, FCM on Stock Springs, HDM2S, MOMO Wheel, Ratsback Front CF Lip, Black Rota's on EcstaXS, Corrado Rotors & XP8's on Front w/ 1.8 rears.

http://austinmiata.com/

Wishlist: Megasquirt to run 12-13 PSI, White non-spray paint job, 8" 6UL's, RX7 LSD, Evans Waterless Coolant

Quote Originally Posted by jeepinbanditrider View Post
    its not a bad idea at all. i like it a small lightweight sporty car. maybe it will be basic also as far as options. kinda going back to the original miata but cheaper.......hopefully lol
    Porsche made something like that in the 50s. They called it a Speedster.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowdoggie View Post
    Porsche made something like that in the 50s. They called it a Speedster.
    And it sold like hotcakes for the first few years.

The difference here is that at the time, Porsche didn't have a lightweight convertible roadster. Its introduction was tantamount to the original Miata in 1989. Mazda already has that, so this makes more sense as a replacement for the NC's, if it comes to the US at all.

I have mixed feelings. I like the idea, but styling so far looks too much like a cross between an NC Miata and a Toyota Celica. Ew.

Then again, I'm a bit biased towards the classic lines of the British roadsters that the NA's and NB's took their design cues from.
    "The fact is that if you want a sports car, the MX-5 is perfect. Nothing on the road will give you better value.
    Nothing will give you so much fun. The only reason I’m giving it five stars is because I can’t give it 14." - Jeremy Clarkson

'04 Mazdaspeed MX-5 #1682, Velocity Red born 3/17/2004 Habanero
    Hard Dog HCHTDD, 15x8 Silver 6UL, 225/45 Hankook RS3, Tein Flex, More coming soon...

I like the idea of a light weight miata with some power 1.8L or 2.0L. I think their is no way mazda will sell both. The small 2 seater market is vary small.

The pic is what the mag thinks it will look like not mazda. To me it looks like a Z4 with mazda's happy face front end.

I like it just lose the grill. but I think it is just the mag guessing (they just put the mazda front on a Z4 did not even change the roll hoops much)

If this is the next gen MX-5, put me down for one ... or two! I want a bare bone with yellow paint to toss around and a loaded one for going to work!
    Gabriel