Thread: Supercharged S2000 w/ 54k miles $12500

Default Supercharged S2000 w/ 54k miles $12500

I saw this on CL and thought of Ken-o. This car has a rebuilt title but might be fun track toy. No affiliation.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/pts/1254098788.html

That's not a very good deal. You should be able to buy that car with a clean title for around 11-12 and you can find a used blower for around 3K putting you at 14-15. With the salvage title the car itself is probably only worth 5-6.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

The bad- car was in small accident and insurance ran with it. Now has a re-built title.

Translation - The car wasn't on fire, but the garage it was in was.

Quote Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
    That's not a very good deal. You should be able to buy that car with a clean title for around 11-12 and you can find a used blower for around 3K putting you at 14-15. With the salvage title the car itself is probably only worth 5-6.

Why does everybody always think a salvage title car is only worth 1/2 or less of one without a salvage title? Expiring minds want to know......
    Would you rather buy a POS with a clean title or a rebuilt salvage car that was well taken care of? (assuming it was fixed properly)
    Hell, probably 20 to 50% of the used stuff for sale has had body and paint work done on it.
    I am not saying a rebuilt salvage car is worth the same $$$, but my 10+ years of dealing with rebuilt salvage has demonstrated the 50% or less value is not correct either......thats all I got to say about that.

Prefers his T-Bones Deboned... jeff_man's Avatar

salvage title cars affect insurance rates, loans and resale because of the first 2. a bank/ insurance doesn't care what kind of salvage it is but as soon as it gets that stamp it's 1/2 price for life.

Quote Originally Posted by jeff_man View Post
    . a bank/ insurance doesn't care what kind of salvage it is but as soon as it gets that stamp it's 1/2 price for life.
    Not based on my experience.....when ever I have a total loss and run the ACV it usually comes back 25% to 50% less if a salvage title is in the history for the vehicle. The reduction depends a lot on the condition of the car before the second time it gets totalled.....thats where the adjusters opinion comes in. If it was a lousy repair with below standard body / paint / frame work then its a 50% reduction for sure. If the car looks good it can be as little as 25%.