Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I have snatched the stone...

Default I have snatched the stone...

Oh snap.
    Previously owned: 2004 Classic Red - 135,000 miles
    H&R Street Performance Coilovers | Racing Beat Hollow Front Sway | Hawk HP+ Pads | BF Goodrich GForce Sports | DIY Short CAI | Mazdaspeed Muffler | Pioneer DEH-5800MP | Alpine F353 V12 Amp | JL Audio C5-650 Components | Pioneer Premier 10" Shallow Mount | Skunk2 Knob | 5000k HIDs | Many bowls of Rice

Shiiiiiiiiiit... now that's what I'm talkin' about.

How do it drive with the funky springs?
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

Damn, that has settled even more... how is the rear?

The ride was surprisingly excellent. No issues with bumps, no hard bangs, the shocks and springs seemed perfectly matched to each other....the front lip is about 3" above the ground, and not once did it scrape... and we certainly did not drive the smoothest roads last night...

it hand me jumping, clapping, and giggling in the passenger seat like a fucking 3 year old.

Ya I would say, it may have had an oversteer problem with stock swaybars, but with the Racing Beat 1.25" Tubular up front and stock in the rear, it is awesome.

I was recommended, I don't know whose idea it was originally, to upgrade to that swaybar for auto x purposes...

I thought, personally, that it made the car understeer - all the time. Unless it was slippery surfaces or abrupt maneuvers, it understeered at the limit, always.

But - with this H&R suspension, it feels unnaturally good to have the steering wheel actually work this well. I can slam the wheel left or right and the car turns, the front tires don't break loose, amazing.

It's also pretty stiff IMHO via the push-down-on-the-trunk-test for only 250# springs.

And every turn I went into on the twisty stuff is at least 10mph faster with this setup, without alignment yet.

I like it a lot, really.

A whole lot. The car is probably 50% more fun than it was stock with that Understeer bar in the front.
    H&R Street Performance Coilovers | Racing Beat Hollow Front Sway | Hawk HP+ Pads | BF Goodrich GForce Sports | DIY Short CAI | Mazdaspeed Muffler | Pioneer DEH-5800MP | Alpine F353 V12 Amp | JL Audio C5-650 Components | Pioneer Premier 10" Shallow Mount | Skunk2 Knob | 5000k HIDs | Many bowls of Rice

Just FYI:

I took the lady friend out for a test drive on a collection of turns around here...

And she puked (not in the car, though).

So, uh, I'd say the handling's pretty good by that standard.

Nice! Take some more pics and bring it out to an autocross!
    "Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bmcreider View Post
    Just FYI:

I took the lady friend out for a test drive on a collection of turns around here...

I had that happen once, but it was the tequilla
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by bmcreider View Post
    Just FYI:

Awww dude that sucks is your mom OK??

The springs are still settling. I need to raise the front as it is even lower than that pic. The rears, however, are only at a 1.5 finger gap - still slowly dropping but no tire tucking yet.

I will take pics soon, and autocross hopefully.

PS: I think I have some bump steer going on, which is another reason to watch out for that front ride heigth getting too low. I've heard 12-12.5" is the lowest to go on the front end of a Miata to avoid bump steer issues. Any other ideas?
    Last edited by bmcreider; 07-13-2009 at 02:35 PM.

I think you can get the R package steering end links to help with bumpsteer. 949 racing sells them. LINK
    "Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan

12.2" is the lowest I can go, eh? I am at ~11.9/11.8 at the moment. I will raise it to compensate, sir.

Thanks for the link, though.

Before:

And after:

Here is the car with the front end at 5 threads up the sleeve, and the rear end as low as it will go...

I suppose it will still settle slightly past this. There is a 1.5 finger gap in rear, .5 gap in front.

Looks good!

Thank you sir.

PS: Where can I go to get it aligned at NTB now that AJ has left the building...?

Last time I was there AJ was back and Brandon was there too. Just call the store and ask.

Address: 3590 N. Grapevine Mills Blvd Grapevine, TX 76051Phone: (214) 513-1800

Better pics:

Wow! Lookin' nice!
    I think you've inspired me to adjust my ride height this weekend.
    '90 "LE" available for purchase soon
    2008.5 CWP MS3: JBR 70d trilogy engine mounts, short throw shifter & shift plate bushings; AST 4100 w/ 400lb springs f/r; JRZ camber plates

I had sex with your car yesterday.... I am sorry.

shadows in the first picture are awesome.

You need some mesh in that grille now...... get on it!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast