Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Introduction, sort of...

Default Introduction, sort of...

I've been around Miata circles for a long time. I was on the Big List (pointy board to the whippersnappers) back in '94 or so.

My first Miata was a '92 Sunburst that I got in August of '95. I bought it in Odgen UT, flew out and drove it home. In the 3 1/2 years I had it, I added suspension, roll bar, turbo, etc. Then I got rear-ended and the car was totaled.

My next Miata replaced that one and it was also a '92 Sunburst. I found it in Minneapolis MN, flew out and drove it home. In one loooong day, I transfered all the best parts to the "new" car, stripped the old one, and then let the insurance co. tow it away. After about 5 years with that Miata, it was rear-ended and totaled. I sold off most of the goodies and sold the remainder and what was left of the car to Merv in 2003. (Sharpie bought my old clutch from Merv, IIRC).

At that point, I needed a car with more than two seats so I've been driving one CR-V or another since. Even then, I've stayed plugged into Miata stuff and kept up Miata friendships. Six years is a long time though. I haven't been able to justify a spare, fun car for a while but I finally got to the point where I could, so I've been keeping my eye out for the right car.

As you might guess, I like yellow Miatas, but I also like BRGs (both of them) and I could even just drive a red one if the right one (R Pkg?) came along. I wasn't set on a particular search, but the right Miata presented itself.

I actually saw the car at FM's open house last year (yes, I went without a Miata) and shortly after that, the Peak-to-Peak Miata Club president sold the car to Skip Cannon, who I "met" on the Big List back in '94. About a month before MWII, Skip decided he wasn't driving the car enough to keep it, since he had 1.8l FMII '92 Sunburst and a 300hp Caterham already, so he put the car up for sale. We emailed a bit and he had a few buyers bite and then back out. When I saw Skip at MWII (yes, I went without a Miata), he still hadn't sold it. I finally realized that I wasn't going to find another like his *ever* so I called him up and we struck a deal. This past Tuesday, I flew to Denver and drove home my new '02 Vivid. It's got a black interior/top, sport suspension, and no body add-ons (just the way I would have ordered it). Since there were only 239 total, I figure mine is one of only a handful configured like it. It also came with complete documentation since new and Skip even met me at the airport with the car waxed and filled up. Before I headed home, I installed my first mod. I found what I believe to be the very last Voodoo Knob and Brake Handle set in polished titanium and the knob was on before I hit the interstate.

It's great to be "back", especially in a car such as this one. If I can keep from being rear-ended again, I plan to keep this one a very long time.

Curtis

Congrats! Welcome back, and watch your ass...
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Thumbs up

You've been lurking for awhile. Welcome, officially, aboard.

Congrats! You would people would see a yellow car and not hit it. Seems like my silver one blends in.
    "Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan

Yeah, after the second time, I said "maybe I should paint my car a bright color." It's pretty hard to miss unless you're just not even looking the general direction your car is headed. Unfortunately, that was the case at least twice.

Welcome aboard.

Yellow Miatas are stupid.

Post up some pictures!

Welcome to this.....

Welcome!
    2005 Lava Orange MSM #601/1428
    211 rwhp, 195 ft. lbs on 1/6/07

Congrats Curtis, when I started reading this, I was thinking he should buy Skip's car. Ha ha.

Yes, I do have your old clutch and flywheel. I believe you've 'known' my dad since around 94' too.

I'm glad you have a miata again.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Welcome, and yes, this thread needs pics.
    "The fact is that if you want a sports car, the MX-5 is perfect. Nothing on the road will give you better value.
    Nothing will give you so much fun. The only reason I’m giving it five stars is because I can’t give it 14." - Jeremy Clarkson

'04 Mazdaspeed MX-5 #1682, Velocity Red born 3/17/2004 Habanero
    Hard Dog HCHTDD, 15x8 Silver 6UL, 225/45 Hankook RS3, Tein Flex, More coming soon...

Orange cones fear me. cone-cerned's Avatar

Welcome, yellow is a great color.
    On the track, I am fearless.
    If you were as slow as me, you wouldn't be afraid either.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Welcome officially
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Weaksauce, I know, but it's only a quick fix: pic in profile. That's Skip and me at Denver Intl. w/ the car. More pix later.

edit: Hmm, not working.....
    Last edited by cwisenheimer; 08-02-2009 at 12:09 AM.

Okay, still weak, but better. Here's Skip's cardomain page on the car. I haven't taken any pics since I got back, sorry.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3290225

Yellow has always been my favorite color on a Miata, except for Blazing Yellow Mica. I'll look forward to seeing it at the Wed. night meets!
    "The fact is that if you want a sports car, the MX-5 is perfect. Nothing on the road will give you better value.
    Nothing will give you so much fun. The only reason I’m giving it five stars is because I can’t give it 14." - Jeremy Clarkson

'04 Mazdaspeed MX-5 #1682, Velocity Red born 3/17/2004 Habanero
    Hard Dog HCHTDD, 15x8 Silver 6UL, 225/45 Hankook RS3, Tein Flex, More coming soon...

Hi Curtis! Did ya get the hardtop, too? Very nice.
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

Hey Merv,

Yes I did get the hardtop. The car is basically just as I would have ordered it. It needs a rollbar and then we'll see if it's done. I've got a V8 jones but a) I don't know if I could do that to such a rare car and b) I have plenty of time to decide ($$$).

Curtis

Quote Originally Posted by cwisenheimer View Post
    Hey Merv,

Yes I did get the hardtop. The car is basically just as I would have ordered it. It needs a rollbar and then we'll see if it's done. I've got a V8 jones but a) I don't know if I could do that to such a rare car and b) I have plenty of time to decide ($$$).

Curtis
    What about LSD? IIRC when I considered ordering, you could not get the sport package with the LSD if you got black interior and a hardtop. I believe it was a pick any 2. The only way to get all 3 was to order a hardtop from the parts department and get it painted yourself.

PS... Congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    What about LSD? IIRC when I considered ordering, you could not get the sport package with the LSD if you got black interior and a hardtop. I believe it was a pick any 2. The only way to get all 3 was to order a hardtop from the parts department and get it painted yourself.

PS... Congrats!
    Welllll, that's interesting. Didn't know that. Mine has the sport suspension, LSD, and black interior. The hardtop is actually from a 1992 Sunburst but since Sunburst and Vivid are the same paint code, it matches perfectly.

Btw, part of the "complete documentation" it came with was the original window sticker, so I'm pretty sure about the Torsen.

So register for Hallett in Sept. and hang out with me and dad.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast