Thread: Should I replace my radiator?? pic inside

Default Should I replace my radiator?? pic inside

Well I was made aware today that because of my radiators' discolored top that I might want to think about replacing it. I have no issues (knock on wood) with the temp rising. It doesn't even go anywhere near the middle of the gauge.

I do plan on s/c in year or so. What should I do guys? Replace it or just keep an eye on it? If I should replace should I go aluminum?

Thanks alot for helping me out. Here is a pic

Introducing...Mia.
    1994 Black 5spd. East Coast Miata short shifter.line . Mobile 1 oil and M1-110 oil filter. C/A intake with stock tube and custom heatsheild. 14*timing. New fluids- brake,tranny,rear diff and clutch. New water pump,timing belt,drive belts,valve cover gasket,crank and camshaft seals.New plugs and wires NGK.MB Motorsport wheels. the rest is all stock. For now.

If it's not a problem why replace it??????

I wouldnt replace it yet, just keep an eye on it. If you start to see little cracks around the base of the cap and the upper hose that could lead to a problem pretty quickly. Were in Texas though, where the heat is pretty rough in the summer, plus I was autocrossing semi regularly back then. You might have better luck in Jersey wher its not as hot.

Just keep an eye on it. Watch for cracks.
    Last edited by Jiggerachi; 08-03-2009 at 03:41 PM.
    '94 C-Package Black & Tan | MS3x | exhintake | USDM Tein Monoflex 10/8k | My 8 year roadster evolution

One minute it will look like that and the next like this.

If you want to build up your TCB street cred, hold off.

+, looks fine to me just from the picture. As long as the coolant isn't too old it should be fine for a bit.

Chris
    91 Miata (#3), Rattle Can Grey(previous owner), Greddy Turbo @7 PSI and Manifold (Only items remaining from the kit), TDR I/C, Godspeed Radiator, RM DP, 2.5 Enthuza Bipes, BEGI AFPR, ACT, Lightened Stock Flywheel, Yellow Konis, FCM on Stock Springs, HDM2S, MOMO Wheel, Ratsback Front CF Lip, Black Rota's on EcstaXS, Corrado Rotors & XP8's on Front w/ 1.8 rears.

http://austinmiata.com/

Wishlist: Megasquirt to run 12-13 PSI, White non-spray paint job, 8" 6UL's, RX7 LSD, Evans Waterless Coolant

Talking

Aren't you the new guy from Jersey??

You are just days away from your first snow and winter. I'd be more concerned about it freezing than overheating.

Last edited by POS Racing; 08-03-2009 at 03:43 PM.

If its not broke yet, don't fix it.

But if you did replace it and are going S/C you will need to get a larger alluminum radiator. PWR Radiators cost a bit more but have better welds and are compatable with the TDR intercoolers, where the KOYO radiator isn't.
    Blah blah blah!

Jiggerachi.
    You are the reason why I posted this. So thankyou. I just wanted to get more opinions.

Thanks to all of you too. I do appreciate it.

On a different note. I was just made aware that this is a Texas forum. I didn't know what "DFW" stood for until alitle bit ago. Sorry about that. I was just trying to find someplace different than that .Net place. It seems I don't get along to well over there.

So do I stay here or should I go away? I can't be the only one from another state on these forums. If you guys would like to keep this Dallas only I would completely understand.
    Jay.
    Introducing...Mia.
    1994 Black 5spd. East Coast Miata short shifter.line . Mobile 1 oil and M1-110 oil filter. C/A intake with stock tube and custom heatsheild. 14*timing. New fluids- brake,tranny,rear diff and clutch. New water pump,timing belt,drive belts,valve cover gasket,crank and camshaft seals.New plugs and wires NGK.MB Motorsport wheels. the rest is all stock. For now.

From the brown color of the plastic part, your radiator is at its last leg! So it all depends on if your upgrade is very close? How upset you will be if you get stuck somewhere when it breaks? If it breaks before your upgrade, you may end up buying something to tie you over ... at the end you may spend more ....
    Gabriel

Quote Originally Posted by Black NA View Post
    ...On a different note. I was just made aware that this is a Texas forum. I didn't know what "DFW" stood for until a little bit ago. Sorry about that. I was just trying to find someplace different than that .Net place. It seems I don't get along to well over there.

So do I stay here or should I go away? I can't be the only one from another state on these forums. If you guys would like to keep this Dallas only I would completely understand.
    Jay.
    We've had people from other places around the U.S. come and go. I don't see an issue with it... Provided you can stand our sarcasm.

i.e. check out the FAQ's tab above.
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

Personal anecdote:

I was just starting the process of changing out my a/c condenser core a couple of weeks ago. The radiator needed to come out at the start of the change out. The top actually looked a lot like yours, you know, aside from being in an NB and all of that.

I moved the upper hose clamp out of the way, started twisting the hose off...and POP...there went the upper hose connection point in about seven pieces.

Thankfully, my work space at the time was about a mile from TDR, and Wags was looking to be in the area pretty soon anyway (on a Saturday afternoon).

Replace that puppy before it falls apart from being looked at the wrong way.
    '90 "LE" available for purchase soon
    2008.5 CWP MS3: JBR 70d trilogy engine mounts, short throw shifter & shift plate bushings; AST 4100 w/ 400lb springs f/r; JRZ camber plates

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Jay.
    Stick around and read this -

http://forums.dfwmiata.com/showthread.php?t=1493

We have folks on here that don't even own a Miata!

and we have folks that own so many Miata's it kinda evens that out.

We may could hook up at "Deal's Gap", since one or two of us sometimes go to MATG.

Ok cool. thanks alot. I'll hang around.

Sam

I read what you linked too. I have no problems with not taking stuff personally. You know alot of poeple hide behind their screens and try to be bad to the bone.

I look forward to getting to know all of you.
    Jay.
    Last edited by Black NA; 08-03-2009 at 07:17 PM.
    Introducing...Mia.

I have been looking around some.

Does anyone know if Godspeed radiators are any good?
    Introducing...Mia.

I have been looking around some.

Does anyone know if Godspeed radiators are any good?
    I have a Godspeed* and they're a great price. If you Tag search Radiator of Godspeed, I've already posted a link to a GB. There's also install info on the link.

*make sure it doesn't come into contact/is too close to an AC bracket or you'll have to pull it a month after you install it like I just did. Had to get one of the tubes welded and pressure tested.

Chris
    91 Miata (#3), Rattle Can Grey(previous owner), Greddy Turbo @7 PSI and Manifold (Only items remaining from the kit), TDR I/C, Godspeed Radiator, RM DP, 2.5 Enthuza Bipes, BEGI AFPR, ACT, Lightened Stock Flywheel, Yellow Konis, FCM on Stock Springs, HDM2S, MOMO Wheel, Ratsback Front CF Lip, Black Rota's on EcstaXS, Corrado Rotors & XP8's on Front w/ 1.8 rears.

http://austinmiata.com/

Wishlist: Megasquirt to run 12-13 PSI, White non-spray paint job, 8" 6UL's, RX7 LSD, Evans Waterless Coolant

Well i just ordered the Godspeed rad. I figured I have the money so I might aswell order it.
    Jay.
    Introducing...Mia.