Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BREAKING NEWS: Michael Jackson dead at 50

Default BREAKING NEWS: Michael Jackson dead at 50

It sounded better than "GM kills Saturn":

LINK
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

No great loss.
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

I don't understand why they are keeping Buick and killing Saturn. Aren't gas prices supposed to go up again?

To many elderly buyers for them to kill off Buick. Saturn's been in trouble for a while. Shame, too, they make a few decent cars.
    "The fact is that if you want a sports car, the MX-5 is perfect. Nothing on the road will give you better value.
    Nothing will give you so much fun. The only reason I’m giving it five stars is because I can’t give it 14." - Jeremy Clarkson

'04 Mazdaspeed MX-5 #1682, Velocity Red born 3/17/2004 Habanero
    Hard Dog HCHTDD, 15x8 Silver 6UL, 225/45 Hankook RS3, Tein Flex, More coming soon...

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
    To many elderly buyers for them to kill off Buick. Saturn's been in trouble for a while. Shame, too, they make a few decent cars.
    That was my thought at first too, but I quick look at the numbers show that Saturn out sold Buick in the US by 29% in 2007 and by 37% in 2008. The higher volume along with a younger demographic would imply that Saturn is the one to keep. I suspect that the real reason is related to a higher margin on the Buick, along with a perceived growth market for the Buick brand in China (where it is very highly regarded).

That's sad I was really hoping that Penske would buy the brand. I think they could have done some amazing cars if they wanted. Wonder how long it will be, before I have a hard time finding OEM parts for my Saturn lol.
    2004 Saturn Ion Redline
    Wrong Wheel Drive
    1992 Grey MX-5
    Right Wheel Drive
    http://profile.imageshack.us/user/jeepinbanditride

I think the plan is to position Buick to make a run against Lexus. I'm not gonna lie to you, that new LaCrosse looks pretty sweet. If I were in the market for such a car, I'd pick the Buick over a Lexus ES350.
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

Quote Originally Posted by jeepinbanditrider View Post
    Wonder how long it will be, before I have a hard time finding OEM parts for my Saturn lol.
    I thought the same thing. I also wonder what this will do to the already low resale value of my old Saturn, since I'm currently looking for buyers.
    "The fact is that if you want a sports car, the MX-5 is perfect. Nothing on the road will give you better value.
    Nothing will give you so much fun. The only reason I’m giving it five stars is because I can’t give it 14." - Jeremy Clarkson

'04 Mazdaspeed MX-5 #1682, Velocity Red born 3/17/2004 Habanero
    Hard Dog HCHTDD, 15x8 Silver 6UL, 225/45 Hankook RS3, Tein Flex, More coming soon...

Quote Originally Posted by trickyrix View Post
    I think the plan is to position Buick to make a run against Lexus. I'm not gonna lie to you, that new LaCrosse looks pretty sweet. If I were in the market for such a car, I'd pick the Buick over a Lexus ES350.
    Yea, I admit their commercial caught me off guard when I first saw it.

Doesn't GM already have a luxury brand?

Chris
    91 Miata (#3), Rattle Can Grey(previous owner), Greddy Turbo @7 PSI and Manifold (Only items remaining from the kit), TDR I/C, Godspeed Radiator, RM DP, 2.5 Enthuza Bipes, BEGI AFPR, ACT, Lightened Stock Flywheel, Yellow Konis, FCM on Stock Springs, HDM2S, MOMO Wheel, Ratsback Front CF Lip, Black Rota's on EcstaXS, Corrado Rotors & XP8's on Front w/ 1.8 rears.

http://austinmiata.com/

Wishlist: Megasquirt to run 12-13 PSI, White non-spray paint job, 8" 6UL's, RX7 LSD, Evans Waterless Coolant

Quote Originally Posted by trickyrix View Post
    I'm not gonna lie to you, that new LaCrosse looks pretty sweet. If I were in the market for such a car, I'd pick the Buick over a Lexus ES350.
    I agree. I was floored by the interior. Very nice car. Alas, I am not interested in a Buick... or a Lexus.

Just makes me wonder what happened to sour the deal... Just a guess is that GM wanted Penske to take a load of GM debt with the brand and they wisely said "no thanks"...
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

Quote Originally Posted by Dave04 View Post
    Just makes me wonder what happened to sour the deal... Just a guess is that GM wanted Penske to take a load of GM debt with the brand and they wisely said "no thanks"...
    The news article states that Pensky was unable to find someone to manufacture the cars after 2011 which is when GM would stop supplying them.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave04 View Post
    Penske didn't want to manufacture cars, they just wanted to sell them. They had a tentative agreement with Renault, but Renault changed their mind and backed out. Without someone willing to supply cars to be sold as a Saturn, the deal with GM fell apart.

ahhh... that makes sense... I thought they were looking to buy the manufacturing as well, not just the brand...
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

its a shame. I would have been interested in seeing what a real American racing company could have done with Saturn.

But if they would have been farming out the work to another company I dont think anything would have changed for Saturn. Saturn's last years on this earth were already spent with another forigen company supplying rebadged cars
    2004 Saturn Ion Redline
    Wrong Wheel Drive
    1992 Grey MX-5
    Right Wheel Drive
    http://profile.imageshack.us/user/jeepinbanditride

Is the Miata the last reasonably priced RWD convertible sports car still in production?
    1990 White NA - SOLD
    1994 Black NA - SOLD
    2006 Red NC - GT with limited slip, HIDs, all OEM.

Quote Originally Posted by Miatamaniac92 View Post
    Doesn't GM already have a luxury brand?

Chris
    Cadillac
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson
    There's no six-way traction control. There's no complicated folding metal roof. It's simpler than that. Engine in the front, drive to the rear, and a big smiling piece of meat in the middle.

Currently:

1991 Mariner Blue (daily driver)
    Previously:
    1994 M-Edition

Why in the world would they turn to a French company that already pulled out of the US market?

Stupid decision.
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Same reason the government gave Chrysler away to an Italian company that already left the U.S.
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast