Thread: Plumber recommendations??

Default Plumber recommendations??

I have a leaking main up near the house where the outside spigot is and it's beyond my skills set. So can anyone recommend a good plumber? Looks like the water shutoff for the spigot has corroded and is the source.

Nope... I have yet to meet a plumber who wasn't a crook. Good luck.

You can shut the water to the house off at the meter. Anything prior to the meter is the cities and anything after the meter is yours according to the City of Allen. Just dig it up and solder it. It's not that hard. Probably caused by all of the settling on the house over the summer.
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

Mr. Rooter to you, buddy! (love that radio commercial)
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

You can always get a recommendation from Home Depot. We did that for our tile we had installed over half the house and it was a good experience. We had an issue with different colored tiles and both the installer and Home Depot showed concern and took care of the problem.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

I've always wanted to try welding...maybe I'll play around with it while he's at Hallett....how hard can it be?

Dig dig dig dig dig...lots of mud (mud wrestling in my front yard on Saturday!) the fire up the torch and randomly sear away the corrossion. Sounds like therapy!

Just thinking about that make my head and neck hurt worse than already does.

:)

I've heard more complaints than good with Home Depot contractors. Home depot charges you 3 times as much as they pay the guy to do the work. What a deal!

When my parents hired a HD contractor to install the french doors, the guy told them what he was getting from Home Depot and it was roughly a third. Basically they were interested in hiring him to come back out on his own and install another french door from their bedroom.

It really isn't that hard.

You need a hole big enough and deep enough to be able to move the pipes a little and clean off the dirt. Then, clean it again with a piece of emery cloth. Get a little flux to clean it some more, heat and solder it together.

Add any expletives along the way to help accomplish the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Radio-Active View Post
    It really isn't that hard.

You need a hole big enough and deep enough to be able to move the pipes a little and clean off the dirt. Then, clean it again with a piece of emery cloth. Get a little flux to clean it some more, heat and solder it together.

Add any expletives along the way to help accomplish the job.

Just sounds like a very dirty (muddy) job...I'm very tempted to get out there and start digging...can't make it any worse. My water bill went from 50.00 up to 90.00 in a month because of that leak...so it's already "broken" I don't think I could do much more harm....there's always duct tape....lots and lots of duct tape...and maybe throw on some JB Weld...

I think the water bills in general must have gone up, because both mine and my parents bills went up significantly as well. Mine went from $50 to $78 in the last couple of months.