Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thanks Altiain!

Default Thanks Altiain!

'Bout time -

Quote Originally Posted by The Pointy Board
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird
    Firedog, give up on it, it is a common piece of "knowledge" in the forum that the rules of physics don't apply to miatas when it comes to downforce ..
    Of course, Moti will tell you all day long until he's blue in the face that his aero mods work, although he's never put the car in a wind tunnel to actually measure any potential downforce. Nor has he ever developed a 3D model of the car and modeled his aero mods in something like ANSYS or FLUENT to simulate their effects. Apparently, Moti's butt-meter is more finely tuned for lift and drag than most of us.

Give it a rest, Moti. Until/unless you can provide some objective documentation on what you've done, your claims about aero enhancements are as scientific as the people claiming they got 20 more horsepower with a Tornado in their intake. I'm not saying that aero enhancements can't be made to a Miata, but I'm tired of hearing your claims with no objective evidence to back them up.

The big wing will actually work better, especially when modified with a small gurney flap.

Moti.
    Aerodynamics are not a piecemeal science, the entire structure must be taken into account. A wing that produces downforce at a certain angle of attack when attached to a car with a certain rear end shape may do nothing at all when attached to a different car with a different rear end shape at a different angle of attack... like attaching a WRX wing to the trunklid of a Miata. Just because it "produces downforce" on a WRX (and that's the first time I've heard that claim made about the non-STi wing) doesn't mean it will on a Miata.

If you like the way the spoiler looks, go for it. After all, it's your car. But don't fall into the trap of thinking that you'll be providing a meaningful performance enhancement to your Miata.

Iain
    Woohoo!! Sick 'em!!

I especially like how he had the mufflers in the airstream for the diffuser. Nothing like a diffuser on a car with anything but a flat bottom and mufflers in the way too. He is a glorified ricer, with a dremel addiction.

If you like that then you'll love my next response...

My biggest problem with Moti is that he's incapable of listening to criticism. I'm no aero expert, nor do I claim to be. But I know enough to know that hacking a giant hole in your bumper and plating it with scrap aluminum is far more likely to add drag and make you look like an idiot than it is to provide meaningful downforce.

What I've learned the most is that the vast majority of people are going to believe what they choose to believe, whatever evidence is provided to the contrary. I just try to take a little pleasure every now and then in screwing with such narrow-minded people. That probably makes me a bad person, but then I've never claimed otherwise, have I?
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by The Pointy Board
    I am SOOO tired of taking crap for it and hear how it doesn't work, how I haven't tested, how it makes more drag than downforce and that the world is flat Iain, and getting tired of the general attitude on the forum and yours in particular when it comes to that, that I don't even care to respond to the details of your reply... Your belonging in SAE is a wonderful thing, go ahead and believe whatever you want to believe, I'd love to link you the thread that people like Brian goodwin who actually rode in my car commented the set-up, unfortunately that thread is gone and I do not have the time or the patience to go through this again

So hear everyone - according to most forum members who haven't tried to do anything to their miatas in regards to aerodynamics including Iain who is great at explaining why it wouldn't work, according to those people the aero mods that I have done on my miata don't work, heck, they would probably claim that it makes it only worse (Oh no, no, no...) .

According to everyone that has actually drove my miata or rode in it on a road course which is where it spends 100% of its time, and according to lap times, not only that things work, they actually make such a big difference that my miata is well known to be the fastest one in the area and that definitely isn't because of its 211 RWHP, open diff and lack of suspension development.

So here we are Iain, you're tired of my $hit and I'm at least about equally tired from yours, you can keep on hiding behind your education as an engineer (wonderful thing for itself), the bottom line is that you're just another little nay sayer but don't worry, the forum is full of them, you're not alone and it will take more that little nay sayer like you or anyone else to make me shut up, at least all you guys can feel comfortable because you're together, yay!

To think that the aero package of the miata is already perfect or something, sheesh!

Moti, who really don't give an F about the nay sayers of the forum anymore .
    Again, I've never claimed that your aero mods don't work, nor have I ever claimed that the Miata's factory aero package is "perfect". That's where you're mistaken.

Nor am I "hiding behind" my education. I don't claim to be an aero expert. However, my side work on aero projects for Formula SAE and for land speed record motorcycles has proven to me over and over again that the only way to know whether an aero change produces the desired results is to either model it or test it in a wind tunnel. Seat of the pants and what "looks right" to the untrained eye are about as useful when it comes to aerodynamics as the ability to cook a mean fried turkey.

What I have stated is that without any quantifiable, objective proof, your claims that your aero experiments definitively do add downforce/decrease drag/add horsepower/make a great cup of coffee/whatever are ridiculous. I can claim to have invented cold fusion on the Internet all day long, but without any scientific proof to back up that claim, all it does is make me look like an idiot.

Take from that whatever you want to.

Iain
    Yeehaw!!!

By the way, I've unified the Law of Gravity and Quantum Mechanics... just don't tell anyone!

I love when someone is so averse to any criticism that they won't even wholely read the text directed at them. Go figure.

Hawt Day-um!

That's one hilarious post, Iain!

I'm gonna have to buy you a drink for that one!

It's so hard to educate a ricer, isn't it?

Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

I am not an aerodynamic engineer, but I did stay at a holiday inn last night.

nice
    03 LS FM2ish TDR I/C
    99 Disco, the go anywhere ride

I am not an aerodynamic engineer, but I did take a sawzall to my Miata last night.

I finally looked at the pics of his car. WTF is this guy thinking? That is the most rediculous example of areodynamics I've ever seen. He is truly a ricer and shouldn't be allowed to hold a sawzall or a rivet gun ever again.

Please post the link. I never did find the original thread.

Link to the thread

Link to pics of the car

Anyone who has studied areodynamics at all would laugh this clown off the face off the earth; so would lots of people who haven't.

Edit: Nevermind, the post isnt funny since I cant link to the picture.

OMG! That's so hilarious!

Someone should get a pic of that car when it's going down the road and put it up on Nabisco for a photochop contest
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

WTF is this guy thinking? It looks like ass and serves no purpose.

...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Dual Coffee Can Exhaust, where can I get one of those.

But really that last picture, What are the side additions supposed to accomplish?
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

He needs to be careful. With all that air passing through the side diffusers at such a high rate of speed for extended periods he could cause the urethane bumper cover to melt and cause a fire....

Chassis Designer

...i'm not sure what to say to that....wow, what people do with too much free time.
    See profile for more details: 14.56 @ 94.89 on 50 shot. 2.18- 60', 9.40 @ 75.52- 1/8.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast