Thread: No spark, no start...no joy

Default No spark, no start...no joy

Hey all,

I've been banging my head against the wall (firewall?) for almost 5 days now.

Bastardized Cliffs notes version:

Car running 1000% good. Parked it in the garage for the night. Next morning I reinstall my meth system and go to take the car for a test drive and it wont start. NOTHING involving the car's timing, grounds, ignition, or anything else was messed with. The only wiring that was involved was reconnecting a ground and 12v+ signal wire from the meth control box....that have always been in the car. So again, I didnt mess with any other wiring, loosen any grounds, etc.

The car main fuse, fusible link, and relay are all functioning. All the normal clicks and whirring happen when I turn on the key. The car is getting fuel. The battery is 100% up, and has a charger/tender on it anyway to ensure that it stays up during these diagnosis times. I tested the coils with a spare plug grounded to the head and I get NO SPARK...from any one of the wires. I have a Haltech E6K EMS, and it sees an RPM signal, but the OEM dash tach does not have a reading when the motor is cranking.

In my fragile little mind I dont believe that both coilpacks would be dead at the same time...especially when they werent touched before.

All ground points (even the extras I've installed in the past) are all 100% clean and tight.

The CAS gets voltage and is obviously sending a signal to my Haltech.

The "to-coilpack" voltage is normal. The coilpack HT resistance is within spec.

Anyone have any straws I can grasp???

Is it possible that someone around here in DFW (arlington maybe) has an extra coilpack that I could borrow to try...just for grins? I would gladly buy it if that's the problem (and yours is for sale, of course)...but at least I wouldnt blow $300 on a new one, simply for a shotgun approach I dont believe in anyway. Ideas?

I am a firm believer in scratching-back... so I dont expect freebies and a handshake. If you help me I'll help back.

Thanks,
    SCott

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    Whats a meth system?
    methanol injection - charge cooling... that or Sparky is giving all new meaning to the term "cooking it" when he drives fast...
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Hahaha....

Yeah, its a methanol/water injection system. Absolutely addictive like the other meth is...I think.

Car racing... More addictive than crack, and only slightly more expensive.
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

I doubt both coil packs would blow at once. Sounds more like a CAS or some other single point of failure item.
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

I agreee...

The shite thing is... there is no easy way to test the CAS. I checked it for voltage input... and it provides an RPM trigger signal to my Haltech (which is cleanly spliced into the CAS signal wire)...but I dont get RPM readings on my dash tach. So frustrating. I wish I had an external ignitor so I could blame it and move on. lol

I have a 1.6L CAS sitting here... but I'm in Lewisville.

Quote Originally Posted by channelmaniac View Post
    I have a 1.6L CAS sitting here... but I'm in Lewisville.
    I wonder if they're the same? I dont mind a little drive... but u know...only if it'll fit.

Chassis Designer

Quote Originally Posted by petrol View Post
    I dont mind a little drive... but u know...only if it'll fit.
    TWSS!

Lawl...

Well...

Some revelation this evening. Popopo came by to help out (thanks!!) but his coilpack was a little different and the part numbers/pins were also different, so we didnt risk it.

In my defeat...I put my coilpack back on and tried to start it again without success. So I decided to try something.

I took an LED assembly I have (very low-range power requirement LEDs) and connected it to ground and the signal wires coming from the Haltech going to the coilpacks. (disconnected from the coilpack, of course)

It blinks when the key is turned on, and then has a rhythmic blinking when the car is being cranked. Sooooo... as shite as it seems to have to fork-out for some new coilpacks. It makes me a little happier that maybe the coilpacks BOTH went out for some crazy reason overnight?

Anyway. I'm going to call around to the recyclers tomorrow and see if they have any coilpacks available for a reasonable cost. And if I have to buy new, oh well...

Regardless...thanks for all the help and input guys. I'll let you know what I find.

ANY input about the blinking LED's is also welcome. I made a super low budget video of the led's in action if anyone cares to see/hear...and threw it on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUPtRQ7tgbU

Thanks,
    Scott

Well...

All is better now.

Turns out...for whatver reason...that the coils were bad. Both of them. (grumble)

Car is running great again. Will be putting the meth system BACK in this weekend and have it out, having fun...

Thanks for everyones thoughts and ideas...support...etc.

-Scott

Chassis Designer

Wanna show me how your meth injection works in exchange for a ride in your car?

wait, what? lol
    '95R

Quote Originally Posted by popopo View Post
    Wanna show me how your meth injection works in exchange for a ride in your car?

wait, what? lol
    That just sounds dirty...

Chassis Designer

LOL, wow, no one's going to believe me but I didn't meant for it to sound dirty. I meant more like he gets to teach me about how meth injection works AND I get a ride in his car.
    '95R