Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where to get old oven parts???

Default Where to get old oven parts???

I finally got around to investigating why my oven wasn't working, and it appears to be pretty simple - the lower heating element is burned in half. Easy fix, right? Well, the damn thing is an ancient Roper - easily 30-40 years old. I've called Roper and Whirlpool, and they laughed at me when I asked if they knew where I could get parts for it (that model is no longer in their system, apparently).

I've got the old part out, so all I need to do is go match it up to a new one at my friendly appliance parts store. Right?

Question #2 (and pardon me if this sounds stupid): Can the old element be welded or otherwise repaired? Most of me says "no" because it would just burn through at the same spot. Part of me says "well, it's just metal, right?"
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

I think this was the place I order a circuit board for our old oven.
    http://www.repairclinic.com/

Not sure if these guys carry Roper but they did have parts to an old GE stove that I had - http://www.apdepot.com/index.asp

The are over in FT.W!

For heating elements, you can just take the one you have out to a local parts place and they'll find you an equivalent one. I did this with an ancient Whirlpool in a rental house once. I took it to Rodenbaugh's in Allen ( http://www.rodenbaughs.com/ ). They have everything.
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

Home Warranty? Most Real Estate agents will push for the seller to buy a 1 year home warranty policy for the buyer. This type of thing would be covered. Did you get one?

Hmmm... yeah I did get one - need to look into that. However, the oven was already broken going into the deal (it was listed as broken in the seller's disclosure). Also, depending on the deductible, I may be better off replacing it myself. I'll check into it, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    Home Warranty? Most Real Estate agents will push for the seller to buy a 1 year home warranty policy for the buyer. This type of thing would be covered. Did you get one?
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days

Quote Originally Posted by trickyrix View Post
    Hmmm... yeah I did get one - need to look into that. However, the oven was already broken going into the deal (it was listed as broken in the seller's disclosure). Also, depending on the deductible, I may be better off replacing it myself. I'll check into it, though.
    If it was disclosed to you as broken, then it probably isn't covered... yet. If you "fix" it and it dies again in a couple weeks, then it would likely be covered.

I went through the same thing trying to find an element for my mom's old oven and was never able to locate a replacement.

FWIW, you can easily find a replacement on CL for cheap, sometimes free, as long as its a standard size opening. I scored a fairly new double oven, which coincidentally was what the wife wanted, that way. Fit perfectly, but the best thing was that the lady who was selling it just decided to give it to me when I got there.

I'll second Rodenbaugh's in Allen. They have been in business for 40+years and they carry Roper and Whirlpool. They even had parts for my old Gaffers and Satler oven back 15 years ago.

They also have a scratch and dent shop located behind the main store in a metal building. Of course, you also have a Sears scratch and dent shop and parts center in your back yard off of Miller Road between Shiloh and Jupiter.
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

+1 on the home warranty. If they can't find the part they'll have to replace the oven.

Pics of a 40 year old electric oven?

Chris
    91 Miata (#3), Rattle Can Grey(previous owner), Greddy Turbo @7 PSI and Manifold (Only items remaining from the kit), TDR I/C, Godspeed Radiator, RM DP, 2.5 Enthuza Bipes, BEGI AFPR, ACT, Lightened Stock Flywheel, Yellow Konis, FCM on Stock Springs, HDM2S, MOMO Wheel, Ratsback Front CF Lip, Black Rota's on EcstaXS, Corrado Rotors & XP8's on Front w/ 1.8 rears.

http://austinmiata.com/

Wishlist: Megasquirt to run 12-13 PSI, White non-spray paint job, 8" 6UL's, RX7 LSD, Evans Waterless Coolant

dude.... just buy a new stove, you'll be that much happier.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

ADAM THE ANSWER MAN!

Also - as mentioned - you can always check out Craigslist for new used appliances. People always remodeling and builders selling on Craigslist, it's not just for finding deals on Miatas

See the link above, Adam the Answer Man - For parts for answers for FREE advice, they even have diagrams printed out to help you that are free. They sell parts for the diy people. Rodenbaughs would be my 2nd choice - they do repair work so they won't always give out advice.

Seriously, no wonder this board is known for being team TCB! New rule, any appliance that is older than oldest Miata on this board should be replaced not repaired.
    Last edited by CosmosMpower; 10-21-2009 at 01:56 PM.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

There is an Easy Bake Oven on craigslist.org for $10. When the "heating element" burns out you just screw in another lightbulb. :)
    1990 White NA - SOLD
    1994 Black NA - SOLD
    2006 Red NC - GT with limited slip, HIDs, all OEM.

Quote Originally Posted by motorollow View Post
    There is an Easy Bake Oven on craigslist.org for $10. When the "heating element" burns out you just screw in another lightbulb. :)
    Oh that's way over priced....

Drove past a little appliance appliance repair shop on Forest Lane yesterday so I whipped in there today with my old element in hand. After $38 and a little cussing, I now have a functional double oven... I gotta stock up on frozen pizza!

This'll get me by for a while until I figure out exaxctly what I'm going to do with the kitchen. A gas range is in the works, and I may or may not relocate the oven. All of that will be sometime next year, though. I've still got to do new windows and a new water heater. Priorities...
    '94 Black & Black & Tan

Dyno Days

I was going to suggest that place yesterday, but I could not remember the name of it.

Watch DIY Network on TV to get ideas on what you might want to do in the kitchen. I also need to replace my water heater. Let me know if you find someone reasonable.
    1990 White NA - SOLD
    1994 Black NA - SOLD
    2006 Red NC - GT with limited slip, HIDs, all OEM.

Quote Originally Posted by motorollow View Post
    I was going to suggest that place yesterday, but I could not remember the name of it.

Watch DIY Network on TV to get ideas on what you might want to do in the kitchen. I also need to replace my water heater. Let me know if you find someone reasonable.
    Water heater install is one of the easiest DIY's a homeowner can tackle. Pay a plumber and you'll be out $500 + depending on where you live...

Speaking of hot water, trickyrix why do you need to replace yours? Is it leaking?

Yeah... water heaters are easy, unless they are up in the attic.
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast