Thread: 280mm MOMO steering wheel question

Default 280mm MOMO steering wheel question

Anyone used a 280MM steering wheel on their Miata?
    Is there an issue with blocking the gauges?
    I don't have the size of the stock wheel or a measuring rod to check the car out
    Anyone have aused MOMO wheel for sale?
    TIA.
    Jack "Rude Dog" Hays
    I'll See You On The Dark Side Of The Moon

I have a 330 and I sit really low in my car, like REALLY low and mine barely blocks the top of my gauges. I would say a 280 would block the gauges. You should check out someone who has an aftermarket wheel first because it's weird when you get it. You're used to the size of the stocker, it feels like a go kart. I have had mine on for a month and I am still getting used to it. The stock wheel is probably 360mm if i had to guess...
    1991 Mariner
    2003 Tahoe
    2004 Hayabusa
    1989 YSR50
    1997 SC300

Default Great info

Thanks for the information.
    I'm about 5'10" and sit high in my car.
    I bet the smaller wheel will cause me a problem.
    Jack "Rude Dog" Hays
    I'll See You On The Dark Side Of The Moon

I've got a 280mm aftermarket wheel in mine mounted on a quick release that brings it closer to me by an inch or so. I think the stock wheel is a 330mm.

I'm 5'8" and with the stock seats the numbers on the speedometer are blocked from 1 o-clock to 4 o-clock on the dial. If I need to see them, i can get to them by moving my head, and the numbers on the dial for city driving are visible all the time.

All of the other guages are clearly visible though, so I usually just modulate speed by RPM or pace myself with traffic to make speed not as important.

If you do go with an undersized aftermarket wheel, be sure to keep your old one - i was told by the guy that did my emissions inspection that they can fail the car for safety because of a smaller steering wheel.

Chris

I believe 3Bean has/had a 280 or 290mm OMP wheel in the BUR. Might see if you can dig up any photos.

Quote Originally Posted by ckearns View Post
    I think the stock wheel is a 330mm.
    A 330mm wheel is noticeably smaller than stock. Think the OE is in the 350-360mm range.

Quote Originally Posted by ckearns View Post
    If you do go with an undersized aftermarket wheel, be sure to keep your old one - i was told by the guy that did my emissions inspection that they can fail the car for safety because of a smaller steering wheel.
    I hadn't heard this before. Interesting info!
    '90 "LE" available for purchase soon
    2008.5 CWP MS3: JBR 70d trilogy engine mounts, short throw shifter & shift plate bushings; AST 4100 w/ 400lb springs f/r; JRZ camber plates

^Yea I had a friend that had a tiny Grant wheel in his truck. Don't know exactly the size it was but he was always getting hassled when he had to get it inspected. I think it was more of a red flag since his truck was a 78 dodge bigblock, lowered and was very very loud. I think they were just finding something to complain about since it was heavily modified and there wasn't much they could do about it since it was a 78 (last year for trucks that had no emmission limits I believe).
    Last edited by Jiggerachi; 11-04-2009 at 02:42 PM.
    '94 C-Package Black & Tan | MS3x | exhintake | USDM Tein Monoflex 10/8k | My 8 year roadster evolution