Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SCCA Event #8 - Mineral Wells, 10/25/2009

Default SCCA Event #8 - Mineral Wells, 10/25/2009

Default Oct SCCA Event will benefit Dennis Rothermich

We'll be setting up a donation bucket at the Mineral Wells event to help out Dennis Rothermich. I've received approval from the Region to add to the amount donated by the participants. Come on out - help out Dennis and have a blast in Mineral Wells.

As we wind down the season there are a bunch of close battles to watch - only two events left to snatch as many points as you can. Without giving iti away, this year's season trophy will be coveted by all...

Super Stock (SS)

The team banana boat boys have been duking it out all year, and this Sunday should be no exception. Car owner Jeremy Foley is out front by a mere 4 points when you consider the drops, and I'm certain Jon Wagner isn't going to stand down and just let him have it. This battle is exciting at any event, but it should be really good Sunday as Jon has to win the rest of the events to have a shot.

B Stock

At first glance it looks like Jim Harris has it sewn up, but when you drop the two worst events Kenny Baker is in front by 6 points. Kenny has beaten Jim when he shows, but he's missed two events. These guys are always fun to watch.

F Stock

Robert Alston can catch Steve Johnson with a little help. He hasn't beaten him yet this year, but word on the street is he's sporting a new alignment. Mineral Wells is his home track, too.

G Stock

Ryan Coplan is out front of Kevin Bartels by 3 points, but hasn't beaten Kevin yet this year. This one should be fun - Mini on Mini.

Street Touring (ST)

All James Padron needs to do is show up. Phil Adams has already made it known that he's going to be out of town for this event, and by the math if James shows up for the last two events he's got it in the bag. Could be his first Series Championship. Will it happen?

Street Touring 2 (STS)

The battle of Neal's Miata has Mr Bellamy and Bob Neff close in total points, but factor in the drops and Neal is out front by 7 points. With a little help from the field and a win on Sunday, Bob could be in the driver's seat heading into November. Looks like potential spoiler Jerrett Jan is out for this event, so it will be up to Steve Eberlein and Gabby Garner to help out Bob.

Street Touring Uber (STU)

With Paul Magyar's car down for repairs recently, Jason McCall has switched over to ST in an ex-Vorshlag BMW. With only 4 points separating them this one is anyone's game if Magyar can get all his go-fast goodies reinstalled in time. Don't count out Todd Milstead, either, mixin' it up with the big boys in his ST prepped Civic.

A Street Prepared

This one is completely up in the air and will probably be decided by attendance. The Lotus gang of David Smart, Eric Hedstrom, Rachel Hedstrom and Greg Stirneman always play to win - if they're there.

B Street Prepared

Sean Goodpasture should take it this year if he shows up for the last two events, but don't count out Lee Locklier until all the points are tallied.

C Street Prepared

Chris Robbins and Mark Cameron have missed two and three events respectively. With Chris out front by 8, this one could go either way depending on who shows up. Chris holds the edge in victories, but may be headed to Arkansas this weekend for the tour.

Street Modified

Borrowed cars make up the top two spots here, with Tim Bergin in front of Brian Buchanan. Both guys are ahead of their car owners, with Henry Lin in the best position to catch co-driver Brian. If Brian can pull off the win and get some help from Henry and Shawn Rizzo the seven point gap doesn't look too big to overcome.

B Modified

Another class where the co-driver is beatingi the car owner, Damon Bottorff is always fast in whatever he drives. John Garcia will be giving it everything he's got to make up the 6 points he needs to catch Damon. If Tommy Saunders, Brianne Corn or Stuart Lumpkin show up to drive the dragon and skip from X class to BMod that could change everything.

Junior Kart 1

Rachel Saunders has a mere 2 point lead on Katelyn Johnson when figuring the dropped events in. That means this one is completely up in the air. The last two events will definitely decide this class.

X Pro

A complete toss up. Greg Piper and Gary Kramar are tied up at 38 points in their snowmobile powered F Mods. I'm six points back, but without a ride this weekend as Chris Ledbetter is in Houston watching the Lemons race. Anyone have a soft-pax, nicely prepped ride they'd let me hop into?

Tire

This is the grand-daddy battle to end all battles. Mick Harrison has a not so comfortable lead of only 3 points over Hal Collins, with Sam Mauro knocking on the door just one point behind Hal. Hal has been driving really well lately, and needs the win to make up some ground on Mick. Watch for class spoiler Michael Cobb to shake things up if he shows, and don't forget to keep an eye on Matthew Riley in the great looking Mugen Civic. This one's gonna be a barn-burner until the bitter end.

Novice

Ben Romans is your current leader by 3 points, but made the switch from Novice to FSP at event #5. Look for Gerald Ray in his Mustang or Brian Lee in his Camaro to jump at the chance to move to the top. Brian won the class the last two events in a row, so he's headed for a free ticket to open class with another win this weekend.

Women (W) Pax

Looks like Jen Maxcy has a commanding lead, but Amy Fair has won 4 of the 5 times they've goneo head to head. Amy missed two events and Jen's hasn't missed any, and by the numbers Amy is out front by two points. This one will definitely come down to the last event if Fair makes the trip west this Sunday. Ann Bergin is definitely capable of playing the spoiler here, too.
    A Z06 is just like a Miata, but with the other half of the motor . . .

can i go back to novice??? I only won 2 events. I can throw back in the rear seats and go back to NST???? It would make it fun and very competitive?
    Last edited by BenRomans04; 10-19-2009 at 06:18 PM.

I'll be there. Won't be competitive as usual but will have a butt load of fun lol
    2004 Saturn Ion Redline
    Wrong Wheel Drive
    1992 Grey MX-5
    Right Wheel Drive
    http://profile.imageshack.us/user/jeepinbanditride

Quote Originally Posted by Solo RX-7 View Post
    Super Stock (SS)

The team banana boat boys have been duking it out all year, and this Sunday should be no exception. Car owner Jeremy Foley is out front by a mere 4 points when you consider the drops, and I'm certain Jon Wagner isn't going to stand down and just let him have it. This battle is exciting at any event, but it should be really good Sunday as Jon has to win the rest of the events to have a shot.
    Jon and J-Fo are going to be in Blytheville this weekend for the National Tour.

Matt, is there somewhere that we can send donations if we're not going to be there this weekend?
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Dennis has an account set up at Bank of America. I'll PM you the account info - Dennis doesn't want the account info floating around cyberspace any more than it has to. You can make the donation at any BofA branch. If there's not one nearby you can send it to me, but make sure you put a note on it what it's for so I don't mix it up with other stuff.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post
    Jon and J-Fo are going to be in Blytheville this weekend for the National Tour.
    D'Oh - I knew that. Well then Jon will need some help from the rest of SS to catch J-Fo. Doesn't matter - these guys are always entertaining to watch even if it's only for bragging rights.

What's up with the donations? Any backstory?
    2004 Saturn Ion Redline
    Wrong Wheel Drive
    1992 Grey MX-5
    Right Wheel Drive

Sorry about that - I assumed everyone knew.

In case you haven't heard Dennis Rothermich has been diagnosed with liver cancer. He hadn't been feeling well for a while, and they discovered the cancer in his liver while removing his gall bladder.

If you don't know Dennis you probably know his photographs. He's the guy behind autocrosspictures.net where you can view and download pictures of your autocross runs for free. He typically takes hundreds of pictures at an event, and hits many of the events in the area. He's also been hired in the past to take photos of our trophy winners for use in the presentations at the year end banquet. His website and pictures have definitely contributed to the growth of the sport in the DFW metroplex.

We've received approval from the TX Region board of directors (race, rally and solo) to make a donation to help Dennis cover some expenses. He doesn't have health insurance so you can imagine the bills he'll be facing in the coming weeks. The club's donation will definitely help, but I'm confident the members will also step up in a big way when we 'pass the hat' at the Mineral Wells event this Sunday to help boost the clubs donation.

I'm sure other clubs are going to be doing benefit events of which many of you will participate. We're fortunate as a club to be able to help out like this, and anything you can spare will definitely make a difference.

Dennis started a blog so you can follow his progress and story. http://dennisillness.blogspot.com/

Thanks man I'll throw in some extra money when I get there.
    2004 Saturn Ion Redline
    Wrong Wheel Drive
    1992 Grey MX-5
    Right Wheel Drive

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by jeepinbanditrider View Post
    Thanks man I'll throw in some extra money when I get there.
    Even more stuff on Dennis - http://forums.dfwmiata.com/showthread.php?t=16123

See ya Sunday!

A lot of my family has died of cancer I know the hurt that comes along with it I'll help anyway I can. Judging by genetics I'll probably be a victim of it also eventually.
    2004 Saturn Ion Redline
    Wrong Wheel Drive
    1992 Grey MX-5
    Right Wheel Drive

I'll be there
    "Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan

I guess its time to go back to the old NST

Quote Originally Posted by BenRomans04 View Post
    I guess its time to go back to the old NST
    Doesn't look like you can....

13.2 Novice Class
    13.2.1 An entrant in the Novice class should be someone who has not competed in a regular class.
    Link - http://autocross.com/tr/2009_Supplementary_Rules.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    Doesn't look like you can....

Link - http://autocross.com/tr/2009_Supplementary_Rules.pdf
    Even if this is the first season for the driver and he was in Novice prior during this season??? It also states your not allowed to use R-Compound tires in novice.

Driver

I know a few people that have gone back to N. Ben, clear it with SoloRX7, but I don't think anyone's going to complain.

Quote Originally Posted by goofygrin View Post
    but I don't think anyone's going to complain.
    Other than someone who has run novice for the entire season.

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    Other than someone who has run novice for the entire season.
    I don't understand what the difference is. The only reason I stepped out was because someone said I had to. But they were incorrect. I had only won two events not three.

Quote Originally Posted by BenRomans04 View Post
    Even if this is the first season for the driver and he was in Novice prior during this season??? It also states your not allowed to use R-Compound tires in novice.
    Who's running R-comps in Novice?
    I think you're doing fine in regualr classes.

Seriously, I won't object if you finish the season in Novice, and I'm the most-likely to get bumped from the "trophy's" if you do.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast