Thread: Presidential Limo Sports A New Look -

Default Presidential Limo Sports A New Look -

Quote Originally Posted by Chicago Tribune
    Presidential ride sports a new look
    '06 Cadillac DTS has featured spot in inauguration

By Jim Mateja
    Tribune auto reporter
    Published January 17, 2005

Next week brings the same president but a new limousine.

A 2006 Cadillac DTS will be sworn into service this week to chauffeur President Bush in his second inaugural parade.

While boasting that the front end of the presidential limo gives the public its first look at the design adopted for the consumer version of the new DTS sedan that comes out this fall, Cadillac offered few other specifics.

Cadillac said the presidential limo is longer, wider and taller than the regular DTS, but Cadillac won't say how long, how wide or how tall it is, citing orders by the Secret Service to keep that, well, secret.

Cadillac said it also can't say what the presidential limo cost to build, what engine powers it, how much it weighs or what mileage it obtains.

Sources, however, revealed that the presidential limo has a pair of cupholders in the back seat.

And while it comes with state-of-the-art protection and communication systems, it was learned the limo won't offer GM's OnStar emergency communication system that aids motorists by automatically unlocking the doors should the president or his driver exit before grabbing the keys.

Cadillac wouldn't say what the Secret Service would do if that happens.

The limo comes with a 10-disc CD player, but it will not offer XM satellite radio like most new General Motors vehicles do.

About all Cadillac could say is that the car seats up to six people, regardless of party affiliation, and comes with a foldaway desktop in the back seat for the president to use.

It also features rear seats that automatically adjust cushion support based on the position of the president, and it is decked out with the presidential seal in the center of the rear-seat back as well as on the interior and exterior of each rear door.

The regular '06 DTS, which succeeds the DeVille in the Cadillac lineup, will be introduced at the Chicago Auto Show next month in McCormick Place.

It reportedly comes with at least six cupholders but no rear desktop.

Cadillac has provided a variety of cars adapted for presidential limo service since 1918, when Woodrow Wilson was driven in a Cadillac Town Car.

Two 1938 Cadillac convertibles served Presidents Franklin D. Roosevelt and Harry S Truman; a 1953 Cadillac Eldorado for President Dwight D. Eisenhower; 1956 Cadillac convertibles for Presidents John F. Kennedy and Lyndon Johnson; a 1983 Cadillac Fleetwood for President Ronald Reagan; and a 1993 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham for President Bill Clinton.

The '06 DTS replaces a 2001 Cadillac DeVille President Bush had been using.
    At least we know he's got cupholders.

DAMN! That thing got beaten with the uuuuuuugly stick. I actually like the CTS and STS, but this new DeVille is butt-ass ugly. It looks like someone stuck an Escalade grille on the outgoing model.

S.

I don't know... some 24" wheels with spinners and you might have something... bling bling!
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

Yeah, but those spinner wheels better be bullet proof and hide the no-flat systems...
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

is it just me or does the drivers door (and most of the windows for that matter) look horribly out of proportion???

Quote Originally Posted by rx7gslse
    is it just me or does the drivers door (and most of the windows for that matter) look horribly out of proportion???
    The standard DTS will have a more conventional greenhouse since the civilian version is less likely to come under enemy fire.

Here is an spy shot of a standard DTS

So is this one front-drive, like the current DeVille, or is it rear drive, like the STS & CTS?
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    So is this one front-drive, like the current DeVille, or is it rear drive, like the STS & CTS?
    A FWD limo... that would be interesting. I saw a show on all of the crazy limo driving classes the Secret Service drivers go through... I suspect they would have to go thru some re-training with a switch to FWD.

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    Cadillac is testing prototypes of the big front-wheel-drive sedan that will replace the current DeVille in model year 2006. In keeping with the General Motors Corp. division's new naming convention, the car will be called Cadillac DTS.
    While the cockpit is being updated and the sheet metal heavily revised, there will be few major changes under the skin because the current chassis and driveline are being carried over. An all-new Cadillac flagship sedan isn't expected until the end of the decade.
    The 2006 DTS will maintain the same exterior dimensions and ample proportions of the current DeVille, but its nose and tail will get a significant makeover to bring the car in line stylistically with the rest of the Cadillac family.
    That means the DTS will feature more angular lines and a prominent egg-crate grille to give it more of a family resemblance to the STS and CTS sedans.

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell
    But what fun would that be to learn how to toss that big hunk of metal into a pirouette!!
    I would like to see someone enter an old limo into a drifting event!

Quote Originally Posted by Titus
    Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell
    But what fun would that be to learn how to toss that big hunk of metal into a pirouette!!
    I would like to see someone enter an old limo into a drifting event!
    Better pony up and have some significant horses under the hood.

That thing is UGLY!!!!
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Yep that is ugly and I am sure WE paid a lot for it.

Hard to make a Tank look like a Sporty Lexus.

I like the 24" spinner idea. Everyone will be looking at the wheels
    and not the ugly car. Even a Protape stripe won't help that car.

Quote Originally Posted by general default
    Yep that is ugly and I am sure WE paid a lot for it.

I guess this mean we can demand rides in the damned thing, eh?

Sure thing 3Bean. Just walk right on up to the nice ticket takers in the dark suits and sunglasses and ask for your ride.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw