Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Well it's about time they dumped that turd!

Default Well it's about time they dumped that turd!

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/05/05/m...11-model-year/

According to "a well placed source at Mazda's North American Operations," Motor Trend is reporting that the aging RX-8 is set to exit stage left here in the States after the 2011 model year. As it is, the rotary-powered sportscar is slated to see the European guillotine at the same time due to its inability to meet Euro V emissions standards.

I almost bought one. Thank goodness I read up on the problems they were having first. The one I was planning to buy was picked up by a friend of my dad's and he had EVERY problem from that car that was talked about on the internet.
    2004 Saturn Ion Redline
    Wrong Wheel Drive
    1992 Grey MX-5
    Right Wheel Drive
    http://profile.imageshack.us/user/jeepinbanditride

oh noooo
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by robert View Post
    oh noooo
    hahahahahahahahahaha
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

That is funny as I just read that Mazda was working on a new rotary motor and even a new version of the RX7.
    "Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional." Haruki Murakami

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Flyin96M View Post
    That is funny as I just read that Mazda was working on a new rotary motor and even a new version of the RX7.
    http://www.dfwmiata.com/showthread.p...&daysprune=365

Counting down to RX8 fanboy (altiain+miatamoto) rebuttal in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1...

Queue Altiain for the full story about how great the car is, but I liked the car a lot and I would not mind owning one. It really drives like a four-seat Miata.

Meh. Mine has 65k on it and it's still running fine.

I'm not surprised they are canning it, though. The market for $25-35k sports coupes has gotten a lot more crowded since the debut of the RX-8, and it hasn't seen any significant updates since its introduction seven years ago. It's a great car, but I wouldn't pay $33k for a new one.

That said, the moment the next RX-7 is confirmed for production, I'll be putting down my deposit.
    Last edited by altiain; 05-05-2010 at 12:49 PM.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

I agree with altiain. When they skimped on the oil injection for the first 2 year models, they pretty much doomed it imo.

I have always loved the look of them, but I have yet to get a chance to properly drive one. The first time I was behind the wheel of one, it was a Town North test drive. They put me behind the wheel of an automatic and that really was not fun. I then got a chance to drive a manual at Zoom Zoom Live, and was really annoyed by the back-end "skipping" whenever I pushed it hard. I later learned that I had been experiencing traction control for the first time, and I could have turned it off. Maybe someday I will get to push a manual transmission RX-8 with traction control turned off, but until then I am left with a sour taste in my mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by J8635621 View Post
    I agree with altiain. When they skimped on the oil injection for the first 2 year models, they pretty much doomed it imo.

So I'll take it that's why they updated all the first couple of year model cars with 07 engines??
    2004 Saturn Ion Redline
    Wrong Wheel Drive
    1992 Grey MX-5
    Right Wheel Drive

No they didn't. All of the '04-08 cars have the exact same oil injection setup with two injectors. Mazda monkeyed with the duty cycle of these injectors through several ECM reflashes during the first year of production.

The '09+ cars have three oil injectors. However, if you fail the motor on an '04-'08 car and have it replaced under warranty, it will be replaced with a new or reman two injector model, not an updated '09+ engine.
    Last edited by altiain; 05-05-2010 at 02:12 PM.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Again what altiain said+1. Their "fix" was changing the ECU tune to inject more oil but there have been a ton of 04/05 with failed engines anyway. Thank god for the 8yr/100k mile engine warranty. I haven't noticed very many on the forums with 06 or newer having problems (came with the uprated oil injection). Take that fwiw.

I have been edumacated lol.
    2004 Saturn Ion Redline
    Wrong Wheel Drive
    1992 Grey MX-5
    Right Wheel Drive

Quote Originally Posted by jeepinbanditrider View Post
    I have been edumacated lol.
    Try to drive one for a fun-run or something after an AX. You'll love it.

Probably but after seeing the very one I was looking at have all the problems that were talked about around various forums on the web and having one of the swapped engines I don't think I could bring myself to own one.
    2004 Saturn Ion Redline
    Wrong Wheel Drive
    1992 Grey MX-5
    Right Wheel Drive

BTW...

The engine in my RX-8 has so far lasted twice as long as the first motor did in my '99 Miata.
    Iain

The RX-8 was a great car and if I hadn't forced my wife to sell her Golf to let me run my RX8 in B-stock for another year, it would have been on the super short list of track cars. My '06 was bullet proof the entire time I owned it and took very little maintenance. I just changed the oil every 3K and had fun with it. Mine didn't seem to have a lot of the little problems that the '04s seemed to have.

I'm not really sure what David has against rotaries, but between Iain and I's RX-8's, hell all the RX-8s autocrossing in DFW (at one time, Kenny, Jon, Iain, me) we were all running on the original engine. How many engines have you dropped in your CRX in the last 6 months!

BTW, whens the next TX time trial and where are the results from the last one?
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Quote Originally Posted by Miatamoto View Post
    BTW, whens the next TX time trial and where are the results from the last one?
    Iain

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast