Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Daily driver tire dilemma

Default Daily driver tire dilemma

So it’s time again for another set of street tires on the RX-8. I’ve had Sumitomo HTR Z IIIs on the car this last go around. They’re not bad – they’re round, they’re black, they’re reasonably sporty, and they weren’t horribly loud as they wore down. I’d buy another set, except for one problem…

I spent a week daily driving the car on my new set autocross tires (Dunlop Star Specs). When I put the Sumitomos back on this weekend I was really sad. Now I want stupid sticky street tires all the time.

So, looking on Tire Rack, Star Specs for my street wheels will run me $744/set (245/40-18s). The Kumho XS – which I liked on ken o’s BMW - are only $656 a set.

These will be dedicated daily driver tires. So things like longevity, ride comfort and resistance to hydroplaning are a little more important to me. I know the Star Specs are supposed to be better in the rain, but the Kumhos are ~$90 cheaper. What do you think – buy the Star Specs, or save a few bucks and buy the Kumhos?
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Check out the Nitto NT-05.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Flip a coin - heads it's Dunlop and tails it's Kumho

If you say sh*t, i wished it would have been the other, you know what your gut wants to do. Go with your gut. :)

Not sure how the Star Specs do in the cold, but I ran my Miata on XS's when it was 35 degrees and they clunked along for awhile until the tires got some heat in them and the flat spots went round again.

Chris

The XS are the worst in the rain, like crap your pants you're going to die bad.
    M3 is always the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by ken o View Post
    The XS are the worst in the rain, like crap your pants you're going to die bad.
    Hmm... that's not exactly a vote of confidence...
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Could you just drive on the Dunlops you have?

Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    That's what I said or get a true DD tire. Honestly, since you have multiple sets of wheels and these will 100% strictly be fore daily driving I would stick with something that will last longer. I had the same mindset and was hell bent on daily driving on RE-01R or equiv tires but in the end it was just a waste.

I hesitatingly put a set of Falken Ziex 912's on the S2000 after doing lots of research and have been extremely happy so far (1,300 miles). They still have a fairly stiff sidewall so they don't feel like your average mushy passenger tire, they are quiet, they are incredible in the rain and have 8/10 dry traction. I experimented in an empty parking lot and it would take some major shenanigans on the street to run out of traction and the breakaway is actually very progressive. They will last 25K in the rears instead of 6K and they cost about 40% less than some Star Specs which I was considering. They are only $104 bucks in 245/40/18, I highly reccomend them even though I didn't think I would like them before I tried em.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

I am running the Star Specs as a daily and so far no complaints. I know tire life won't be what the old BFG's were, but they are quiet and stick. So far they have worked well in the rain, but I havent' tested them in a down pour yet.
    "Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional." Haruki Murakami

I have also been happy using my Star Specs as daily drivers, but I have not driven them in standing water. They are very good on wet pavement.

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post
    Hmm... that's not exactly a vote of confidence...
    Well, keep in mind that he enjoys crapping in his pants, so...

Quote Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
    I hesitatingly put a set of Falken Ziex 912's on the S2000 after doing lots of research and have been extremely happy so far (1,300 miles). They still have a fairly stiff sidewall so they don't feel like your average mushy passenger tire, they are quiet, they are incredible in the rain and have 8/10 dry traction. I experimented in an empty parking lot and it would take some major shenanigans on the street to run out of traction and the breakaway is actually very progressive. They will last 25K in the rears instead of 6K and they cost about 40% less than some Star Specs which I was considering. They are only $104 bucks in 245/40/18, I highly reccomend them even though I didn't think I would like them before I tried em.
    ( on dear Lord in heaven, I'm going to actually agree with Cosmos....)

Me too... not as sticky as the Goodyear Eagle F1 DS-G3's I had on the car last go around... but much, MUCH cheaper and probably 80-90% of the performance and they've lasted a good 20Kmiles and still have some life left in them.
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

Quote Originally Posted by Miatamoto View Post
    Check out the Nitto NT-05.
    Hmm… DT has them for $32/set less than the Kumhos. Anyone have any personal experience with them?

No, because I don’t want to heat cycle my competition tires out on the street. Also, my 17” RPF1s only have about 3mm clearance between the barrel of the wheel and the outside of the front brake caliper. One small rock in there will destroy a wheel. I daily drove them for a week, but don’t plan to do it every day.

That's what I said or get a true DD tire. Honestly, since you have multiple sets of wheels and these will 100% strictly be fore daily driving I would stick with something that will last longer. I had the same mindset and was hell bent on daily driving on RE-01R or equiv tires but in the end it was just a waste.

Joe, I know that would be the smart thing to do. I just really enjoyed driving around on the Star Specs last week. I also kind of want to buy some “extreme” street tires for the OEM wheels in case I decide to hit a Chrono-X event (Showroom Stock requires 140+ treadwear tires on OEM-sized wheels). But yeah, I’m sure cost/mile will be double or more for the Star Specs compared to Falkens or another set of Sumitomos.

Sigh... I hate being practical.
    Iain

Hmm… DT has them for $32/set less than the Kumhos. Anyone have any personal experience with them?
    I've heard good things about them. Emilio from 949 Racing did a back to back test of them on the S2000 a little while back. The write up is on the pointy board.

Goofy Grin has run at least one set of them.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Do you think heat cycles will have that much of an effect on them?

No, because I don’t want to heat cycle my competition tires out on the street. Also, my 17” RPF1s only have about 3mm clearance between the barrel of the wheel and the outside of the front brake caliper. One small rock in there will destroy a wheel. I daily drove them for a week, but don’t plan to do it every day.

Joe, I know that would be the smart thing to do. I just really enjoyed driving around on the Star Specs last week. I also kind of want to buy some “extreme” street tires for the OEM wheels in case I decide to hit a Chrono-X event (Showroom Stock requires 140+ treadwear tires on OEM-sized wheels). But yeah, I’m sure cost/mile will be double or more for the Star Specs compared to Falkens or another set of Sumitomos.

Sigh... I hate being practical.
    I guess I don't understand what you like about street driving the Star Specs more than a less aggressive tire. The only way I could tell a difference in performance between the RE-01R's and the Falkens was when I simulated some "autocross" driving situations in an empty lot. In other words, I would never drive anywhere near that hard on the street or purposefully slide the car and even if I did the Falkens wouldn't make me lose control or crash. The limits were just a little bit lower than a top tier street tire but it's not easy to reach the limits. In fact I had a few emergency braking situations since I put them on (people running red lights) and they were great!

If I did the math correctly the total cost to use a stickier more expensive tire on the street is approaching 5X more expensive based on 8K a set for Star Spec equiv and 25K a set for DD tires. I can understand doing the Chrono X events (looks like fun) so that would be a good excuse.
    Last edited by CosmosMpower; 01-25-2010 at 03:40 PM.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

Driver

245/40/18 nt05s are $127/tire + tax here locally if you decide to go that way. They are fine in water until they are bald. Then, like most tires, they suck.

I like the star specs better for autocross, but at that price, I can't help but keep buying the nt05's. I like the nt05's better for the track though (stiffer sidewall and more predictable release).

Quote Originally Posted by goofygrin View Post
    245/40/18 nt05s are $127/tire + tax here locally if you decide to go that way. They are fine in water until they are bald. Then, like most tires, they suck.

I like the star specs better for autocross, but at that price, I can't help but keep buying the nt05's. I like the nt05's better for the track though (stiffer sidewall and more predictable release).
    You were breathing down my neck at ECR on the NT-05s.
    M3 is always the answer.

Do you think heat cycles will have that much of an effect on them?
    Absolutely.

I guess I don't understand what you like about street driving the Star Specs more than a less aggressive tire. The only way I could tell a difference in performance between the RE-01R's and the Falkens was when I simulated some "autocross" driving situations in an empty lot. In other words, I would never drive anywhere near that hard on the street or purposefully slide the car and even if I did the Falkens wouldn't make me lose control or crash the limits were just a little bit lower than a top tier street tire.

If I did the total cost to use a stickier more expensive tire on the street is approaching 5X more expensive!
    Honestly, it’s mostly just one multi-radius cloverleaf on my daily commute (although most of the rest of my daily commute is single lane back roads). The difference through there was night and day between the Star Specs and the Sumitomos. That, and the ability to compete in a Chrono-X event, like I mentioned above. Probably not enough to justify buying “extreme” DD tires.

Hmm… a quick tire cost spreadsheet shows that even the Nittos would be $428 more per year, based on a couple of WAGs on mileage (8k out of the "extreme" tires, 12k out of the current Sumitomos).
    Last edited by altiain; 01-25-2010 at 04:19 PM.
    Iain

Driver

FWIW, in mixed (IE, track, autocross, daily driving) use I get about 10-11k miles on my NT-05's. I go about 18-20k miles a year.

I got similar life out of the star specs.

Driver

Quote Originally Posted by ken o View Post
    You were breathing down my neck at ECR on the NT-05s.
    I <3 BOOST

(and corn)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast