Thread: Rollbars and Exploding Seatbelt Pretensioners.

Default Rollbars and Exploding Seatbelt Pretensioners.

From the pointy board. Is this a Chicken Little reaction, or is this really a significant danger? It sure sounds serious. I will sure be taking it seriously when I install my HDSDD next weekend. Just thought y'all would like to know.

S.

Same thing happened to our own Onething last year! I'm sure he will chime in and tell us about his seatbelt issues on his '01!

Apparently the easy solution would be to not drill/cut through any wires while installing the rollbar. I've done three, and I've yet to cause a CEL or blow anything up.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    Apparently the easy solution would be to not drill/cut through any wires while installing the rollbar. I've done three, and I've yet to cause a CEL or blow anything up.
    The "explosive" pretensioners were added on the 2001 Miata might be why you haven’t had the problem Altiain, the early NB's didn't have it. I believe Onething's blew because of a chaffed wire, but I could be wrong.

Ah, my bad. I didn't realize the '01+ had even more gov't mandated explosives than the '99-'00.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Never thought that your car would bust a cap on you!!

But speaking of seatbelts, on the early NA's there was some extra length sewn into the belts designed to release on impact to work in conjunction with the airbag... anyone here know of this? Being that I don't have an airbag and don't know if that extra length is there or not (in the roll or is it visible?) I don't want to find out the hard way.

mines visible.
    03 LS FM2ish TDR I/C
    99 Disco, the go anywhere ride

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

OK - long story short:

Mine did not bust a cap. After two years with the HD in the car, the driver's side seat belt just stopped retracting. Warranty issue?

My friendly dealer said they would not work on the seatbelt assy with the HD in the car. They wanted more to remove the HD than it cost! They would not reinstall the HD under any circumstances as it voided the warranty of the entire Mazda fleet.

Took it to Hiley of Arlington. They said, "No worries, we'll fix it." Then they said, "had to order one from across the pond, be here in a jiffy - overnighted it". Then they said, "We just learned that you can't overnight explosive devices from Japan?!? New Homeland Security rule."

My car sat for a couple of days longer while my new bomb sat in quarantine on the west coast. Apparently it was a failure unrelated to the HD. It was covered by warranty, and when reinstalled, the retractor was not modified per HD recommendations. The new stock unit works at least as well as the passenger side and old driver side units that were modified.

I've been dealing with that particular Hiley location ever since. Like them so much, that I'm buying a house and moving to Arlington.
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region