Thread: Tokico Shocks

Default Tokico Shocks

I just wondering if the blue Tokico shocks are stock on a 96? I have 114k on mine and I don't know if the shocks have ever been changed. She rides just fine but considering some upgrades and don't know if I should change springs first and go from there. Is there any other way to tell if shocks have been changed?

thx
    Nothing like the whine of a SC at full throttle!

The OEM shocks on an NA were either Black (OEM) or Yellow (Bilstiens).

What color do you have?

They are blue with Tokico on them.

So someone must have changed them at one time.

Is that a pretty good shock? I have no idea how may miles are on them.

"Is that a pretty good shock?"

In my experience, not really. If you are going to change springs at some point, do both the springs and the shocks together. If you do springs alone with those shocks, you'll wear them completely out (if they aren't already) in short order. Also, it may seem that it rides "fine" but once you've installed new springs and shocks, you'll be surprised at the improvement. Lots of choices out there. I would recommend a call to Flyin' Miata to discuss the best solution with them. Others here may have alternate opinions.

Koni Yellows are on sell right now at Tirerack, err they were last week? They are a great affordable shock that offer a good compromise between track and street driving.

Chris
    91 Miata (#3), Rattle Can Grey(previous owner), Greddy Turbo @7 PSI and Manifold (Only items remaining from the kit), TDR I/C, Godspeed Radiator, RM DP, 2.5 Enthuza Bipes, BEGI AFPR, ACT, Lightened Stock Flywheel, Yellow Konis, FCM on Stock Springs, HDM2S, MOMO Wheel, Ratsback Front CF Lip, Black Rota's on EcstaXS, Corrado Rotors & XP8's on Front w/ 1.8 rears.

http://austinmiata.com/

Wishlist: Megasquirt to run 12-13 PSI, White non-spray paint job, 8" 6UL's, RX7 LSD, Evans Waterless Coolant

Thanks for the info, I'll have to check that out. I got under the car last night and confirmed they are the Tokico Blues. The boots around the shocks are torn as well so looks like they have been there a while. Will it be ok to do shocks and not new springs? I eventually want to do a complete package like the FM 2.5 kit but i don't have the cash just yet!

"I eventually want to do a complete package like the FM 2.5 kit but i don't have the cash just yet! "

If that's the case and you're going to do it in pieces, do shocks before springs. Depending on how badly you need shocks, you could do sways before shocks too. Just don't do springs before shocks. Springs that lower the ride height will be tough on OEM or low-cost shocks. Also, when you do springs, you'll need to plan on getting an alignment shortly thereafter.

A good low cost setup that works good for the street and some track time is KYB AGX's and Eibach pro-kit springs. That is what I ran on mine and did not have complaints about the ride. Plus it gives a nice drop without being "too low".
    I'm not speeding officer, I'm qualifying!!!

92 Red (sold)
    2006 ZX6R 636 (sold)
    99 S10 ZQ8 (sold)
    95 Merlot M
    05 GSXR 600 (To buy my house)

the fm springs (at approximately the same rates as the eibachs) killed my agx shocks within 20k miles... your mileage/tolerance for dead shocks may vary
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

^Interesting. My back seems to be bouncing around a good bit lately. Maybe my AGX are blown in the back. Front's are still pretty solid. I'm way over 20k on the same FM setup as you, I haven't been autocrossing but the car sees it's fair share of rediculously bouncy roads daily.

Edit: I lost my receipts in a move a long time ago, anyone know how anal KYB are with their warrantys?
    '94 C-Package Black & Tan | MS3x | exhintake | USDM Tein Monoflex 10/8k | My 8 year roadster evolution

Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Moral of the story - Don't buy AGX's. Spend another $100 and get Koni Sports.