Thread: Header gasket, which side to the block?

Default Header gasket, which side to the block?

I have a leak where the header meets the block and decided to put a new gasket in. I've got the gasket but which side mates to the block? One side of the gasket is flat, and the other has a small depression around the holes for the exhaust... Don't want to put it on backwards...

Thanks
    SOLD - '91 BRG
    SOLD -'99 Signal Green
    Looking for my next car...

Chassis Designer

I'm not an expert here, so if anyone gives you a better sounding line of advice, take it. The first thing I would do would be to determine if the gasket is truely reversable or if it will only fit one way. Otherwise I would tend to put the flat side against the machined surface of the cylinder head.

After I pulled the old one out last night I can see that the side with the depression is supposed to mate with the header.

I'm not exactly sure what a used header gasket should look like, but I didn't see any obvious markings that identified where the leak was coming from. I hope to put the new gasket in today after work. If it's not the gasket it may be time replace the header... The reason I think it's the gasket is because I tried tightening down the header nuts and the leak became quieter.

As far as replacing the header goes, I'd probably get an ebay header because I hope to swap my 1.6 for a 1.8 some day. Surely the ebay header will last 1-2 years right...
    SOLD - '91 BRG
    SOLD -'99 Signal Green

Chassis Designer

While you have the header off, check to see if the header isn't slightly warped. If you don't have something that's supposed to be a straight line, like a carpenters square, a yard stick will probably do. I wouldn't be surprised to hear if there is a slight bowing across the face of the header flange. You could machine it flat again, or use two gaskets to help seal any warpage. Just a thought.

Doh!

When I checked for a leak a while back I felt around the header by the block and could feel the exhaust flowing up past my hand. I assumed it was coming from the gasket, but it turns out there is pea sized hole in the collector area where the primaries are all joined. I couldn't see the leak before because the heat shield was in the way. Too bad I didn't take a closer look before I swapped the gasket out...

Looks like I'll be buying an eBay header to tide me over the next year or two until I can swap my 1.6 for a 1.8
    SOLD - '91 BRG
    SOLD -'99 Signal Green

Is the header in good enough shape to just take it by a muffler shop and get them to weld the hole shut?

That's an idea... I think they can reach it with the header still on the car too... that shouldn't cost but a few bucks right?
    SOLD - '91 BRG
    SOLD -'99 Signal Green

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by MoonieGT View Post
    That's an idea... I think they can reach it with the header still on the car too... that shouldn't cost but a few bucks right?
    dfp_500telephone&#46.jpg

I had this happen to mine years ago. I took it off and took it to a muffler guy and $20 later the car was happy again. Pea sized hole at the collector for me too. Stock manifold.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

I couldn't resist the temptation of creating work for myself and ordered an eBay header. As long as it gives me two years of service I'll be happy. I'm sure I'll regret not going with the quick fix when I'm cursing and swearing at 19 year old ehxaust bolts that won't budge...
    SOLD - '91 BRG
    SOLD -'99 Signal Green

Soak them with some Kroil(harder to find) or PB blaster(available almost everywhere) for a while and they will most likely come right out.
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica