Thread: exhaust question

Default exhaust question

alright. i know the borla exhaust makes 5whp no questions asked... but what about if i went to a muffler shop and had a cat back system made with lets say a magnaflow muffler. would that be something of the same effect? or would anyone know?

Quote Originally Posted by sloked up View Post
    alright. i know the borla exhaust makes 5whp no questions asked... but what about if i went to a muffler shop and had a cat back system made with lets say a magnaflow muffler. would that be something of the same effect? or would anyone know?
    It is really next to impossible to know. I have seen 2 stock Miatas of the same year dynod on the same day differ by 5hp. You could put the same exhaust on 2 like cars, and see different gains too.

well of course i know that two motors will never perform the exact same. im just curious about what kind of gain i could be looking at.

Assuming construction type is the same....ie. mandrel bends, clean welds and high flow muffler, you will see close to the same performance gains. Beware that most muffler shops don't do mandrel bends, and those that do will cost as much as buying a new borla system.
    2013 Mazda2 slushbox daily
    1993 Miata (future exocet donor)

I have the Euthnza catback w the Borla can on my 99. I did notice that there was a slight gain from my butt dyno. However, I would be hard pressed to say 5hp! I do notice more gain after I have the intake, header, hi-flow cat and catback all up in the car. With all that, I would say it is a 5-10hp gain from my butt dyno.
    Gabriel

Prefers his T-Bones Deboned... jeff_man's Avatar

artech is in wilily and made johnwag and i'm going to have him do mine.

http://www.miataturbo.net/member.php?u=11738