Thread: AT&T announces sweeping changes to data rates

Default AT&T announces sweeping changes to data rates

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/apple/at-t...ata-rates/7071

I thought this was interesting. I think the current all-you-can-eat data price from AT&T was $30, correct? However, according to the attched article, AT&T says that the 2GB plan is only $25 and would suffice for 98% of their customers. So, how is this goign to make more money for AT&T or cut down on data usage? Does that last 2% use that much bandwidth?

Quote Originally Posted by jrj512 View Post
    [url]I thought this was interesting. I think the current all-you-can-eat data price from AT&T was $30, correct? However, according to the attched article, AT&T says that the 2GB plan is only $25 and would suffice for 98% of their customers. So, how is this goign to make more money for AT&T or cut down on data usage? Does that last 2% use that much bandwidth?
    Remember, this is the same company that says their network covers 97% of the US population...
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

I use my iPhone quite a bit and it fetches e-mails from several active accounts. My average data usage is about 190MB, with the highest month at 455... Looks like a winner to me.
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

That really SHOULD reduce it... except for the part where they are letting the 2% keep the plan that has them using the bandwidth. AT&T was quoted at the beginning of this data usage plan change as saying that 3% of the users, are responsible for 40% of the bandwidth. So that indicates that 2% would make a difference. -but it assumes that the 2% would be subject to the caps under the new plans, which is likely not the case... because why on Earth would they make the switch? -for $5? I think the only reason for the 2GB cap plans, is the tethering. They had to bring it out since it was announced a year ago, and needed to protect the mediocre experience they have now from falling totally apart. So it's probably less about the 3% now (or the 2% that unlimited is really built for) and more about the new breed of abusers that would come to the forefront if you could do tethering on an unlimited plan.
    Bryan
    1991 Mariner Blue | I Hate Everything

Also remember that with OS4 you can tether. Watch the usage rates skyrocket with tethering.
    M3 is always the answer.

it's supported with the OS, but AT&T is trying to enforce it as a billing option. I would think that it means that for an AT&T model, the option isn't available unless you've added it onto your account. I know that the 2GB limit still applies, so they are just getting more money to offset the infrastructure needs they are already presented with.
    Bryan

Quote Originally Posted by Version3 View Post
    That really SHOULD reduce it... except for the part where they are letting the 2% keep the plan that has them using the bandwidth. AT&T was quoted at the beginning of this data usage plan change as saying that 3% of the users, are responsible for 40% of the bandwidth. So that indicates that 2% would make a difference. -but it assumes that the 2% would be subject to the caps under the new plans, which is likely not the case... because why on Earth would they make the switch? -for $5? I think the only reason for the 2GB cap plans, is the tethering. They had to bring it out since it was announced a year ago, and needed to protect the mediocre experience they have now from falling totally apart. So it's probably less about the 3% now (or the 2% that unlimited is really built for) and more about the new breed of abusers that would come to the forefront if you could do tethering on an unlimited plan.

When I still was using my BB Curve 8900 I routinley tethered using bluetooth during motorcycle trips or times when I was traveling cross country. Especially in area's where places that had Wi-Fi were few and far between. I loved it. Even during a month where I used tethering nearly everyday I still only used 1.4 Gigabytes of data that month. It is nice being able to surf the web via my netbook (which doesn't have a built in aircard) from anywhere that I have cell phone signal. I guess the Iphone 3GS isn't capable of this at all but I haven't tried it yet either.
    2004 Saturn Ion Redline
    Wrong Wheel Drive
    1992 Grey MX-5
    Right Wheel Drive
    http://profile.imageshack.us/user/jeepinbanditride

The 3GS hardware and iPhone 3.0 software IS capable of it... just not on AT&T. Jailbreaking your phone can solve that problem. AT&T can always "decide" that you are using your phone data in a way that warrants additional charges (tethering without the service added) but it's less common, and I understand it they aren't very good about identifying it. Not like Sprint, who used to be very good at finding people and billing them for it.
    Bryan

I like how the new iPhone will have 720 HD video calls on a limited data plan. What do you think the bandwidth on that call will be?
    Nice of AT&T to charge more for a substandard network. Hopefully some of the profits will go into improving the latency.
    M3 is always the answer.

Pretty sure the video calls only work when it's on a wifi network. I don't have an iPhone, but I think that means the data wouldn't count against you?

I'll also be willing to bet the video calls won't be in 720p (30fps) HD video either... While the phone will record that... streaming it would be well beyond what you can get with 3G data rates.
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."