Thread: rear suspension damage

Default rear suspension damage

Hypothetical question: If the right rear wheel bumped the curb and now the car steers kinda crab-like, how much money will this cost me?
    Let's say, for example, the car got away from me late last night while I was playing on empty slippery roads near the house. It was too dark to see any bent parts but I will definitely get a look underneath after work today. The wheel appears to be out of alignment to say the least; it is sort of steering inward slightly.

Why don't I act my age once in a while? I haven't done something like this since I was 17!

Here's to hoping it's just a bent rim!

Jackass. :P

Just kidding. Chances are you've just goofed up the rear toe setting. A quick trip to a trustworthy alignment shop ought to tell you if you've made a small mistake or a not-so-small mistake. That would be my first stop (after putting the car on jackstands and assuring myself that nothing is obviously bent).
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

The only difference between men and boys....

Like altiain said, hopefully it's just knocked out of alignment. Get it checked out unless there is some obvious damage you can spot yourself.

I use Bobby Gentry's muffler shop on Locust, or I've heard Sears will do a decent job to.

If you know of better places in Denton let me know, but those are the 2 I know of miata owners using. Gentry's you'll usually need an appointment.

I hope you didn't bend a wheel.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

The weakest link in the rear suspension is the longitudinal bolt that connects the lower a-arm to the hub. They tend to bend into an S-shape making them impossible to remove without a hacksaw. The good news is that it is a cheap fix. To see if it's bent, pull the wheel, loosen the nut and see if the bolt will rotate. If not, it's bent.....
    Merv
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

Now this is funny! I just read your profile, and you're an automotive engineer???????
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)

Yes, I should know better!!

Okay, I just saw it in the light. The rim is bent a little and I should've said the wheel appears to steer slightly to the left. I'll get it off the ground for a closer inspection. No body damage noticed (yet).

He's right about the bolt. If the bolt is bent, also check the rear crossmember, I've seen them bend before as well. The control arm is usually the last thing to bend.

And we have a winner!

Merv described exactly what I found. The long pivot bolt securing the hub carrier to the lower control arm was bent on the forward end, explaining why I have to steer left (a bit) to go straight.

I'm guessing the bolt is a dealer-only part? I called the closest dealer, he doesn't have any and it will take 3 days to get it. I don't suppose this is something we would also find under a Ford Focus?

I'd suggest calling Carey at Town North if you were a few hours earlier... Unfortunately, they don't have parts hours on Saturday.

Found one at Freeman in Irving and they're open til 7. Darron out.

That reminds me, I need a service manual. Does anyone know how tight this bolt is supposed to be?

I'd go for 65 ft/lbs

http://www.miata.net/garage/torque.html

is a good reference

Quote Originally Posted by Darron65
    That reminds me, I need a service manual. Does anyone know how tight this bolt is supposed to be?
    You mean you're supposed to TORQUE those things??????