• Paint

0 0%
  • Epoxy

13 86.67%
  • Leave it Bare

2 13.33%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Floored

OK, I'll ask a stoopid question (do I ask any other kind? )...

Why is vinyl flooring a bad idea? It must be, because I never see any garages -- that are used as garages, with cars and everything -- with vinyl flooring. I'm guessing it must have something to do with the heat that builds up on tires. Or maybe it's because if you drop something on it, it will cut too easily?
    altiain makes a good point about just leaving it bare, but I'd like my new garage floor to look purdy. I like the various tile products:But that stuff gets expensive fast! For example, I think the Kiwi Tile would cost me about $2,200 ($2.93 x 750 sq ft).
    "That which does not kill us, just makes us madder"
    Cletus Nietzsche (Friedrich's half-brother on his sister's side)

Quote Originally Posted by onething

Old school trick I learned from a friend who did balance and blueprint:

wet the concrete
    sprinkle TIDE over the surface or spot to be cleaned
    scrub it in with a broom
    let it set 10-20 min but don't let it dry
    hose it off
    admire the sparkley white concrete
    Is that good for old oil stains as well???

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell
    Is that good for old oil stains as well???
    IIRC - just let it cook a while, and you may have to redampen it or reapply to get it all. I usually pile alot on the bad parts to insure having enough chemical to handle all the grime.

I can't over state this part:

TIDE IS EXTREMELY SLICK WHEN WET
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Gotta vote for the epoxy here. I have my floor done in a nice light grey epoxy and love it. It's pretty darn durable. I haven't had any peeling problems at all. It does get a little marred when you weld over it, but I do all of that in one bay, and there's usually a car parked over it. Heck, it still looks better than bare. You do have to be careful with sharp things, though, which is not too difficult.

Here's how I see it...

Advantages:

- LOTS more light, especially when you're under the car
    - Very easy to clean up spills and leaks (just mop it up)
    - You can get it "eat off it" clean, which is nice for some projects
    - It looks awesome

Disadvantages:

- Time consuming to apply
    - Must be careful with sharp objects (and fire, though not as careful)

If you can afford it (at the time) and have the time, go for it!

Edit:

Had some other thoughts, too. You always have "bare concrete" in the driveway for things you don't want to do over your epoxy. And you DEFINITELY don't want paint, or even that Rust-o-leum stuff. The stuff on my floor came from Sherwin Williams, if that helps (though I was lazy and paid to have it done when the house was finished and before I moved in). It was a two-part epoxy. The leftover stuff dried to a hard "rubbery" block in the bucket, which explains some of the properties of the epoxy when it's on the floor. :)

Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell
    I have to say, having personally seen ccage's garage floor, it is very nicely done.
    We've all seen ccage's garage floor, and I'd have to agree... purdy!
    "That which does not kill us, just makes us madder"
    Cletus Nietzsche (Friedrich's half-brother on his sister's side)

I have had both, the black and white tile and two-part epoxy stuff. The only problem I had with the tile was a bit of yellowing if a car is parked in one place for any length of time. I have done the epoxy on the last three garages I have owned, and have never been sorry. One thing I like about epoxy is you can raise the car and slide under it without need of a creeper, yet it's not so slick you are likely to fall and bust your buns. And, it looks good and it's easy to clean...
    OzCop
    MSM
    "It's never too late to have a happy childhood!"

Can someone give me an idea on cost to do the epoxy? Say for a "standard" 20'x20' garage?
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

Quote Originally Posted by Dave04
    Can someone give me an idea on cost to do the epoxy? Say for a "standard" 20'x20' garage?
    About a hundred bucks, give or take. Somebody on here probably knows of some obscure online retailer where you can get it for $6.95, but budgeting $100 for the job is reasonable.

I still have the epoxy but haven't yet applied it. This rollbar project got in the way...

S.

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Sherwin Williams stuff is $99 and will do 600 sq ft.

I was misquoted at the store

Saturday 2/5

Today, I paid $200 for enough epoxy to cover 460 sq ft. This may have been a higher grade but the guy swears this is the good stuff. FDA approved!!!

It went down pretty well considering the condition of the floor - very coarse - think 40 grit sandpaper with creases and pits. It really made the imperfections stand out while it was wet and shiney. Hopefully, it will look better dry, but either way, at that price, it aint gettin another coat.
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12