Thread: DAMMIT!!

Default DAMMIT!!

A while back I managed to snap off one of the seat anchor bolts on my car (side note to self - in the future remember to use anti-seize on any bolt you ever plan to remove more than once ). In the course of trying to remove it, I managed to break off a stud extractor in what remained of the bolt.

At that point I figured to hell with it, and I've been driving around for awhile with only three bolts holding the driver's seat in.

Fast-forward to today - I had some spare time, so I spent most of the afternoon drilling out what remained of the bolt extractor and the bolt (Let me tell you how much fun that was ). I finally get that crap all removed, and I go to tap a new thread into the hole. Then the damn tap breaks off in the hole. Cheap-ass Craftsman tap.

I'm at my wit's end with this thing. If I could get at it from below, I'd cut what's left of the damn nut off and have another one welded on somewhere. Unfortunately, I can't get at it from below. I've really lost interest in spending another couple of hours drilling what's left of the tap out.

At this point I'm honestly thinking that the only solution is going to be taking the car somewhere, having that small section of floorboard cut out, and a new section with a new nut welded back in. Unfortunately, A) It's my daily driver, and B) I wouldn't have the faintest idea who to take it to.

Any suggestions?
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Sorry to hear about your bad luck. There is a shop at the track that does Miata work, I'll check with them tomorrow to see what they might charge to repair the problem for you. I'll be there all day tomorrow swapping out the rear end in my car. I'll let you know.
    '91 Silverstone Greddy,Centerforce,Link,Tokico,GC,Momo,Signal,

Stiffy Chassis Systems " My Miata is sporting a Stiffy"

pm thorage327 about it.
    03 LS FM2ish TDR I/C
    99 Disco, the go anywhere ride

Weld the bitch in there and sell the car
    93 FMII + LOTS MORE
    The Black Mamba

Damn Iain!

Quit being such a

...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

I do not remember what the tool is called, but it is a 4 prong tool that will slide down the groves of the tap, you push a collar down to snug it up against the tap, then you can back out the tap. I've had to use one a few times and always was able to get the tap out. NOt easy, but I got it out.
    Hmm what is decent? Are we talking about your decent or my decent? I'm just curious because I don't want to offend anyone else's decent...

Quote Originally Posted by Ataim
    I do not remember what the tool is called, but it is a 4 prong tool that will slide down the groves of the tap, you push a collar down to snug it up against the tap, then you can back out the tap. I've had to use one a few times and always was able to get the tape out. NOt easy, but I got it out.
    Paul, any idea where I can pick one of these up?
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Let call around, maybe I can find you one. The one I used was at a manufacturing company that I worked at for a few months.
    Hmm what is decent? Are we talking about your decent or my decent? I'm just curious because I don't want to offend anyone else's decent...

I'm prerry sure he's talking about one of these, IIRC you can get them at NAPA.

http://www.waltontools.com/products/extractr.htm

Thanks guys. I'll have to head on down to NAPA and see if I can break one of these off as well.
    Iain

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing

Yep thats it. Way to go POS.

Quote Originally Posted by Ataim
    Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing

Yep thats it. Way to go POS.
    He's good for something!