Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: OTM-- need suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by Electro View Post
    There is a reason I picked up my Quad cab Tacoma. :) Good luck with search... There's plenty to choose from here in the Benbrook and Granbury area if you need me to keep an eye out.
    Thanks! Does the seat back in the rear flip down, or does the seat bottom flip up? I'm concerned about large dog access.
    Speed

––––––––––––––––?? ?––––––––––––––––? ??––––
    Don't look...there's nothing down here for you!

Quote Originally Posted by goofygrin View Post
    I second this motion. Everyone I know that's had one or has one loves it (or loves it and misses it).
    My dad bought a '97 4x4 4Runner new, and he's put almost 200k on it so far. In that time the only things that needed replacement were the factory radio (CD player died) and the shocks. I keep telling him I'll buy it whenever he's ready to sell it, and he keeps telling me he'll leave it to me in his will, since he doesn't plan to sell it.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by miataspeedracer View Post
    Thanks! Does the seat back in the rear flip down, or does the seat bottom flip up? I'm concerned about large dog access.
    Mine flip down - purchased with 102K miles and presently have 143K miles on the clock. Only maintenance done by me with this one has been oil, water, fuel filter, and plugs. Fifth Toyoata I've owned, and I will not be letting this one go so easily.
    I use to worry about money; but then realized I don't HAVE anything to worry about.

Driver
    The Enclave at The Villages of Deer Run at Quail Arroyo Estates de Chandelier Crossing
    Blog Entries

Semi-threadjack WRT 3rd-gen 4runners: if we take the towing and auto requirements out of the picture, how's the reliability of 4-cyl vs v6 and auto vs manual? I know the 22RE is legendary...

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

The big downside of an SUV vs. a truck is a front-end loader can't dump a yard of sand/dirt/mulch/etc. You also can't just hose it out when you're done.

Driver

on the plus side you'll never have to shovel a yard of dirt out of the back of a pickup again (btdt).

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by goofygrin View Post
    on the plus side you'll never have to shovel a yard of dirt out of the back of a pickup again (btdt).
    Instead you get to shovel it from a big pile on your driveway.

PS

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser View Post
    Pay attention... that's why he's not planning to drive it!
    He stated he's not happy with his Ridgeline because it's NOT FUN to drive.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

Quote Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post

Driver

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    Instead you get to shovel it from a big pile on your driveway.

PS
    Nah, hire the job out. Wisdom > strong back, especially in this heat.

Quote Originally Posted by redmenace View Post
    Semi-threadjack WRT 3rd-gen 4runners: if we take the towing and auto requirements out of the picture, how's the reliability of 4-cyl vs v6 and auto vs manual? I know the 22RE is legendary...
    I don't have any experience with the 22RE in a 4Runner, but I would opt for the V6. In a vehicle of that size/weight with the aerodynamics of a brick, I think the 4 cylinder would be seriously overtaxed. According to Consumer Auto Guide, the 4Runner weighs between 3400-3700 pounds, and the 4 banger only has 150 horsepower and 177 lb-ft of torque. The V6 is no screamer by today's standards (183 hp, 217 lb-ft of torque), but it's enough.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
    And? What else did I say?...
    Speed

Quote Originally Posted by redmenace View Post
    And always will be... :) The 3.4 V6 is highly sought after now, and hard to come by in the "salvage" store. I still would like to find a factory supplied super charger setup from the 1st gen Tacomas.
    I use to worry about money; but then realized I don't HAVE anything to worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    The big downside of an SUV vs. a truck is a front-end loader can't dump a yard of sand/dirt/mulch/etc. You also can't just hose it out when you're done.
    Technically, you aren't going to be putting a yard of sand in a Tacoma either... a cubic yard of dry sand weighs ~2600 lbs... and according to Toyota, you should only put about 1350 lbs in it.
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

I had/have a 1st gen 4Runner sold it to my uncle who keeps it at his beach house in Port Aransas) with the 22RE, and it is a fantastic motor. It's not a puller, though. Lousy for towing and highway, but it will run forever.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

Quote Originally Posted by miataspeedracer View Post
    And? What else did I say?...
    I stopped paying attention after that, anything that seats 4+, hauls/tows stuff doesn't peak my interest :)
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

pique...
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

Quote Originally Posted by OZMDD View Post
    pique...
    He probably stopped paying attention to his grammar...
    Speed

My brother has an old 4Runner that has a couple hundred thousand miles on it and it is virtually indestructible. He liked it so much he bought a new one and kept the old one to beat on some more. I'm not sure of the towing capacity but it would be a great choice for what you looking for.
    2000 Miata LS - TEIN FLEX, RB header & Exhaust, Monster CAI, HDHC single diagonal with door bars.

Interestingly, it's a lot easier to find nice 4Runners in my price range than Tacoma Quad Cab pickup trucks. Supply and demand at work...
    The Dodge Durango is also an option if I decide I really need a pick-up bed.
    Speed

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast