Thread: The what fits and what hits thread N/A's only!

Chassis Designer miata_B_racing's Avatar

Default The what fits and what hits thread N/A's only!

I had just purchased a set of very slightly used tires 195x55x16 and a new set of 16" rims to replace
    the oem 20 year old stockers that were on my car. The stock off set on the 5.5 wide jj daisey wheels is +45 mm.
    The new wheels are 16x7x+40mm offset. The tire stores chart says these won't fit.

So I got to thinking maybe it would be good info to post the tire sizes and rim sizes that are proven
    to fit on unmodified (suspension wise)miata's from 90 thru 97.

This will help to take guess work out of your selection.... So please add your proven wheel and tire
    combo's for the education of us all.

jake miata_B_racing
    Teflon Window guide Kits for the Miata Nation -

16x7.5, 99% sure +44 offset. Had 215/40/16s and 225/40/16s on them. No rubbing with either size, stock height or lowered a bit.

Also was going to get a set of 16x8, +38 CCWs made with 245/35/16s, but I had to buy a truck. One day...And I know 100% those fit stock suspension.

Also x2, when I ordered my SSR Comps (the 16x7.5s) I ordered a set of SSR GT1 16x7s for a friend at the same time. Forget the offset of them though, but they fit perfectly on his stock car with 215/40/16s.

But this has been covered to death all over the internets already.

It's true it has been covered, I wonder how many miata owners want to wade though the rubbish to get to the good parts ?
    Small is small but too big or too wide will not fit....

jake

I have a customer that has OEM 2001 Twist, on a '91 with FM springs and Bilsteins.
    No Issues that I am aware of.

FWIW I'm running 15x8 wheels with +25 offset on the low FM springs. See my sig. Tires are 205/50-15 I believe. I had to roll my fenders but no other modifications were needed. I know others here are running a more aggressive setup than me. I don't think the offset, or the wheel size is going to be a problem. Your problem might be tire height. I'm not sure how that size tire will work, but those wheels will work fine.

I know it's a sore spot, but there's an excellent tire calculator over at http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html That'll tell you at least how much your speedo will be thrown off. For the rubbing issues might just throw them on and take a spin around the block see which parts underneath are shiny afterward.
    '94 C-Package Black & Tan | MS3x | exhintake | USDM Tein Monoflex 10/8k | My 8 year roadster evolution

With 195/55/16, you will most likely rub on big bumps and dips. I go slight rubbing when I ran 195/55/15 (1" shorter) on FM Springs.

YMMV
    94 Miata R package RPF1 195 RS-R RB FSB FCM Bilstein Ebay Coilover 550/350
    91 Civic Si Daily Beater

"Its more fun to drive a slow car fast, than it is to drive a fast car slowly".

Thanks for the heads up . I'll post a follow up in a few days.

Well , as a follow up to the install here is what I found , Tires rub just a little at the leading edge of the tire and the lower plastic part
    of the front fender. I razor knifed the edge down about 1/2" smaller and drove it last night. Still rubs just a bit. Seems like a tad bit
    more on the passenger side than the driver side. I may have a weak strut on that side. Not sure how old they are. But by guess I'd say
    Circa 1991. Oh well and suspension upgrade to follow next winter maybe... What a difference, Car rides like on a cloud....

jake

Since you mention running a stock suspension, you really should only be concerned with tire height, as already mentioned...unless there comes a time when you have wheels that won't fit over your brake calipers.

As to what I've used, here are a few specs, all at lowered ride height:
    14x7, +19, 195-55-14
    15x7, +35, 195 & 205-50-15
    15x7, +38, 195 & 205-50-15
    15x8, +36, 205-50 & 225-45-15
    No changes have been made to fenders or liners at this time.
    '90 "LE" available for purchase soon
    2008.5 CWP MS3: JBR 70d trilogy engine mounts, short throw shifter & shift plate bushings; AST 4100 w/ 400lb springs f/r; JRZ camber plates

16x7 +40 mm offset 195x55x16 definately look good but rub. I will get it sorted out. May have to use some white paint in a few
    spots to see where the actual rub is. right now I can only guess with someone either looking at it or I look at it when standing still.
    when moving or turning it is going to be different. Seems fine when driving - if I could just find a nice straight road. Wake up ----
    Back to reality !

jake

I've got a few, asking about fitment:

15x7.5 with +20mm or +40mm? And 15x8 with +40mm?

Also, what's our hub bore size?
    Last edited by Matt V; 08-09-2010 at 01:13 AM.

Stock is 14x5.5 +45 offset Too much on the negitive will cause turning issues as the wheel gets pushed out further from the hub.
    These MB wheels I got I had asked if they offered other offsets and they said no. So +40mm was all I could get....

Blog Entries

If the tire is only rubbing when the suspension is at full compression you can add a spacer between the shock body and the bump stop. This effectively lengthens the bump stop and prevents contact. If your suspension is shot the car is hitting the bumpstops often and the bumps may be shot. A sure sign is wear on the plastic fender liner above the tread centerline. If the tire is hitting the inner lining mounting tabs along the lip of the fender, these can be bent upwards with gentle hand pressure. Spacers look like poly fender washers with a 2" OD by 3//4" ID and 1/4" thick. They are split on one side to allow them to wrap around the shock shaft. I can make you a couple if you need them.

Your new tires are .8 inches greater in radius than stock. The spacers are a must and lowering the car will give you no suspension travel with those tall tires.
    195/45/16 or shorter will get you out of trouble.
    Last edited by creek; 08-09-2010 at 07:21 AM.
    Stripe Das Sape

We are leading the world to democracy by example.

I don't have an issue with contact other than when turning. i'm going to check the inner radius
    of the liner for indications of rubbing as well. And yes the struts more than likely need to be
    tossed in favor of new ones /when budget allowith to do thynself a favor- por favor- so to speak.