Thread: Overheated in traffic...

Default Overheated in traffic...

I've had my '91 for a little over a year now. This last thursday my car started to overheat in traffic on 35. It was 102 outside and it was stop and go traffic. As soon as I got off the highway the temp needle dropped back down.

Today, I took the car around the neighborhood and the needle didn't get much past 11:00. However, I opened the hood to check the oil and man that engine bay was HOT. The hood and support were almost too hot to touch. The oil cap was also almost too hot to hold...

My coolant level is fine and the radiator fan is working. Is this anything to be concerned about or is it normal when it's that hot outside and you're not moving on the highway?

Thanks
    SOLD - '91 BRG
    SOLD -'99 Signal Green
    Looking for my next car...

Make sure you're radiator cap has a good seal and is not cracked. If you think its bad replace. Otherwise you may have a fan going out.

Had the same problem for years couldn't figure it out. Turned out the fans looked fine but were blowing about 30% too sllow. It would overheat in traffic only in triple digit temps.
    '94 C-Package Black & Tan | MS3x | exhintake | USDM Tein Monoflex 10/8k | My 8 year roadster evolution

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggerachi View Post
    the fans looked fine but were blowing about 30% too slow
    How do you know the fans are running below spec? I was driving my son's car with the big PWR radiator this week. The needle went past the 1-o'clock position in the stop and go traffic (first gear start and stop) from downtown Dallas to almost Mesquite. The car has plenty of coolant. It actually boil over. I wonder the fans are running below spec?
    Gabriel

I'm not really sure. At the time I suspected something since I had replaced everything else and was still overheating while stopped, and they just seemed kinda slow to me. had a spare junk yard set so I just swapped them out and the spares were much stronger and it immediately fixed the overheating problem.

That was two years ago and now I just saw the needle creep up and have heard some gurgling these last few weeks. I wonder if these junk yard fans are giving up too. I haven't lost any coolant yet though.
    '94 C-Package Black & Tan | MS3x | exhintake | USDM Tein Monoflex 10/8k | My 8 year roadster evolution

One thing you can check with the fans is if the amperage on the fan Mazda specifications. (5.5 to 7 amps IIRC)

I also change the coolant and radiator cap every 2 years.

The fans HudsonHawk put on my car do a great job. They make a lot of noise when on, but they keep the car cool!
    1990 White NA - SOLD
    1994 Black NA - SOLD
    2006 Red NC - GT with limited slip, HIDs, all OEM.

Hmmm never thought of the fan problem. Only time's this summer I've had with cooling problems have been when the AC is on and I'm running 75 or faster. It'll slowly creep up to warm but not overheating. After slowing down and getting off the highway it'll cool back down to normal temps.
    2004 Saturn Ion Redline
    Wrong Wheel Drive
    1992 Grey MX-5
    Right Wheel Drive
    http://profile.imageshack.us/user/jeepinbanditride

I'll check on the radiator cap and see if I can get a meter to check the fans. Thanks for the suggestions guys.
    SOLD - '91 BRG
    SOLD -'99 Signal Green
    Looking for my next car...

Speaking of radiator fans...does anyone have any good experience with generic or other than OEM fans(read: cheap)?? Care to post the info? I don't care about them being loud, to me that would just mean they're powerful

My one of the fans on my Honda blew out this spring (still need to check the sensors and such) and OEM fans are uber expensive. Plus my Miata fans are older than dirt, i'd like to replace them as well just for good measure.

The fans that are on Motorollow's car are SPAL. No they are not cheap but they work very well. (they are not much more expensive than stock though).

Yes they are louder then stock. They also move about 30% more air than stock. When combined with the PWR radiator that is on his car, he should never have an over heating problem.