Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: SCCA Solo Event #6 @ TMS Bus Lot - 8/29/2010

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Thanks to those who contributed to my contribution.

Thanks to NealB for showing me where to gain about 3 seconds on my next run.

Thanks to JimmyJan for a great course (don't tell him I said that).

Thanks to POS for letting me drive his $500 Miata - we're getting there.
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

The PIP is a camera mounted on the tow hook

My best clean

Stephen

My 64.0 dirty on the tow hook camera
    Last edited by ken o; 08-29-2010 at 08:02 PM.
    M3 is always the answer.

I had a great time for my short visit. It was nice to meet a few of you. Thanks for the ride POS, that was scary for me, and Im a former motorcycle stunt rider. lol

Orange cones fear me. cone-cerned's Avatar

My camera mounted between the baby teeth.

Backup link - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NklurOdZTqs - if the embedded video doesn't show up.
    Last edited by cone-cerned; 08-30-2010 at 06:20 PM. Reason: still trying
    On the track, I am fearless.
    If you were as slow as me, you wouldn't be afraid either.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

Here is video from my fastest run in the Mugen. Photo's will be up as I have time in the next couple of days to upload it.

I really enjoyed this course. Very difficult for a nose heavy fwd car for sure. I just had to remember to slow down.

2008 S2000 CR Yellow
    2012 GLK350 Silver
    2009 Yamaha FZ6R --- For sale
    Sold - Mugen Civic Si Fiji Blue Sold - Civic Si Coupe Nighthawk Black
    Sold - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Blue Sold - 2003 SVT Focus Silver

Quote Originally Posted by ken o View Post
    The PIP is a camera mounted on the tow hook

My best clean
    How do you make the map, speed, etc Thats awesome.

Thanks ken o for letting me run the M3 and also answering all my questions on doing track days. Amazing car and I had alot of fun. Should help me a bit going into nationals. I am really looking forward to it and I will see all you guys there.

Side note, I flew back to Wisconsin last night and grabbed the new Car and Driver. The cover story was the 7 best handling cars in America under $100k, of which I have autocrossed 4. Went something like this...

1. Porsche Boxter Spyder
    2. Lotus Elise
    3. Mazda Rx8 (thank you Iain)
    4. BMW M3 (thank you Ken)
    5. Nissan GT-R
    6. Corvette z06 (thank you Mark)
    7. VW GTI
    Last edited by vetteblues10; 08-30-2010 at 09:29 AM.

Fun event with nice cool weather, only 96 deg. The course was fun and challenging, but I think it would have benefited from a few reward sections. Just about time it was getting fun, more pain. Maybe a few fast sweepers next time.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    The course was fun and challenging, but I think it would have benefited from a few reward sections. Just about time it was getting fun, more pain. Maybe a few fast sweepers next time.
    very politely put

just about the time you got going, you had to stop, put on a turn signal, execute a painful turn, then chug off at too low revs in 2nd

jrj512, I appreciate what you do and don't want to do it myself, but other courses have been more fun to drive
    2009 MX-5 STR and track toy
    2003 Z06 -- Not a Miata, but 3200# and 400 RWHP is fun
    OTM -- 2012 Sierra, 2016 Impala (Appliances)

Chassis Designer

Quote Originally Posted by nealb View Post
    very politely put

just about the time you got going, you had to stop, put on a turn signal, execute a painful turn, then chug off at too low revs in 2nd

jrj512, I appreciate what you do and don't want to do it myself, but other courses have been more fun to drive
    Well put

jrj has given us some very good courses this year. I've done a bunch of courses myself and understand the effort it takes to bring something new like jrj has done! That said, I would put this one farther down my list. Too many shut downs followed by long straights...chugging out? yep!
    David Smart
    Mazda MX5 Club - STR 194

I hate you all!

No, really, thanks for the constructive feedback. I was trying something different and while I really liked it, the majority seem to not have liked it so much. But that is okay, since we have to try new things, and some will not work so well.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by jrj512 View Post
    I hate you all!
    You do get kudo's for most cones ever used on one autocross course, so it wasn't a total failure!

Quote Originally Posted by GregW View Post
    How do you make the map, speed, etc Thats awesome.
    Maxqdata
    www.maxqdata.com
    M3 is always the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    You do get kudo's for most cones ever used on one autocross course, so it wasn't a total failure!
    At least Clovis and NealB didn't follow me home and beat me up like Ken O did.

Quote Originally Posted by jrj512 View Post
    At least Clovis and NealB didn't follow me home and beat me up like Ken O did.
    Shut up everyone knows you pay extra to have Ken do that.....

Personally, I really enjoyed the course. I thought it was one of the more technical courses we've seen this year. Those "painful" sections really test one's patience in terms of having to wait to get back on the power, as getting back on it too early would get you into trouble. Not necessarily the most fun elements, but they are definitely good things to practice. That being said, I think the course design really favored the higher horsepower cars.

Here’s my take on yesterday’s course:

• Straights – there were two relatively long straights on this course, one shortly after the start and one right before the finish. Nothing challenging about them at all. Got room for an offset gate or a 3-cone slalom?
    • Slow corners before the straights – Both of these straights were preceded by very tight corners. Doing this gives higher horsepower, higher torque and AWD cars a significant speed advantage over the two most critical sections of the course.
    • Painfully tight corners – There was no way to open up the last corner before the finish?
    • Really offset cones – On the back section and preceding the last slalom there was at least one cone that was very far off of the middle line of the section. While I can appreciate that you’re trying to up the challenge factor with these elements, I think in both cases you could have moved these offset cones 20 feet closer in and still ended up with challenging sections, but ones that flowed a lot better.

That’s my $.02. I don’t think it was a bad course, just not one of his better efforts. Kudos to Jerrett for stepping up to design yet another one, and kudos for trying something different. In the long run it will only make you a better designer.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

I think that some technical (painful) sections are good, they just need to be offset with some fun sections (reward). If you give the reward towards the finish people will leave felling good about the course.

I don't think it was a bad course it just lacked the yippee factor for me. I agree that jrj512 does a good job on the courses.

Agree with all of the comments, in that the course was very challenging. I'm not sure I would say it wasn't a good course, but Robert hit it on the head by saying it lacked a "yippee" factor. I finished my runs thinking the course won, not me. Still, I also realized how much I had been getting away with on some other courses this summer, and I didn't get fast on this one until i paid attention to the basics, like looking WAY ahead and being precise about when to brake and how much. Great job challenging us, Jarrett!

BTW - where can I get some samples of the sausage?
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast