Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 16 yo new driver, 10k budget? Help plz

Question 16 yo new driver, 10k budget? Help plz

The gf's 16 yo daughter is up for her first car. Budget 10k. Recommendations?

1.) Slushbox
    2.) Safe
    3.) Reliable
    4.) More than 2 seats.
    5.) Safe

I have some in mind, but interested in anything I'm overlooking...

Thanks!

Ready, set, go

Used Civic/Accord, used Corolla/Camry, used Mazda 3/6
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

By that CRX HF that is for sale. It only has 62 HP and 2 seats, so its hard to get into trouble and gets great gas milage.

Quote Originally Posted by HudsonHawk View Post
    By that CRX HF that is for sale. It only has 62 HP and 2 seats, so its hard to get into trouble and gets great gas milage.
    72HP thank you very much!

We just bought a Scion xA for the wife, not too bad of a vehicle actually. Picked it up with 95K and some cosmetic blemishes for $5500.

1.) Slushbox - I say teach her to drive stick. Might make her focus on actually driving the car instead of texting and jawing with friends and fixing her face.
    2.) Safe - Tell her not to run into stuff. :)
    3.) Reliable - Japanese.
    4.) More than 2 seats - Fewer seats = fewer distractions, no back seat to make out in, etc...
    5.) Safe - Strap pillows to her and send her on her way.

...but you can't really go wrong with Cosmos' list. I'd still get her a stick shift, though.
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

Quote Originally Posted by SixAce View Post
    I have some in mind, but interested in anything I'm overlooking...

Thanks!

Ready, set, go
    Yea stay out of the purchase of this car altogether and play dumb(er) that way when the car turns into a turd you throw your hands up and say "No one asked me!"

Spend less than $5k on the first car for a 16 yr. old. Save the other 5k and get something more nice when she turns 18.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

+1 on sharpie

save a little for the mailboxes to be replaced too.

we got ours a 6 cyl mustang standard... the stick kept him from squawking on the phone pretty well.

whatever you get, its going to be abused
    95 r white

Driver

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    Yea stay out of the purchase of this car altogether and play dumb(er) that way when the car turns into a turd you throw your hands up and say "No one asked me!"
    Spoken like someone that's btdt. GF, not spousal unit? You have no say in the matter. Agree with whatever they decide on.

I recommend looking at something from Scion. I liked my tC and the xB (old style) is really comfortable and slow.

Jeep wrangler has been a popular choise at my house.
    Bobby

RED RULES!
    90 Miata, 04 Rubicon, 05 Boxster

Mini Cooper!
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

The best investment in the safety department is better driver training. The courses are cheap and provide a life long benefit.

The following link has some interesting numbers and links on the subject. They also have suggestion for cars.
    Teen Driving

Quote Originally Posted by patf View Post
    +1 on sharpie

save a little for the mailboxes to be replaced too.

we got ours a 6 cyl mustang standard... the stick kept him from squawking on the phone pretty well.

whatever you get, its going to be abused
    +2

"First car" == "disposable car"

You can plan for it or be surprised by it, but it's true either way. I say, go for a safe/reliable car with good driver interaction (not too numb, i.e. Caddy). At $5K, there are a ton of mid-size, quality cars available.

Quote Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
    +1

Really, that's all that needs to be said. Anything outside that list is probably too much car or too much money. All good for insurance too, which the popular-with-teens Scions are NOT. I can also recommend the Yaris, though its not as much metal around her as you'd probably like, but you can get a 2008-2009 for under $10K, still under warranty.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

Volvo 240D
    Speed

––––––––––––––––?? ?––––––––––––––––? ??––––
    Don't look...there's nothing down here for you!

/\ That's the wagon right? I would so rock one of those these days. :)
    I use to worry about money; but then realized I don't HAVE anything to worry about.

99 or 00 Miata for about 5k. Teach her stick.

My daughter drove a 91 Ford Ranger for 2 years without any problems. Then I bought her a new Hyundai Accent and she backed it through the neighbors fence after 6 months of driving it.

Also, make sure that whatever she gets has good rear visibility eapecially if she is short. Many cars nowadays have tall rearends like Accords. A young co-worker of mine has a 2008 Scion tC and she says it has terrible rear visibility.
    1990 White NA - SOLD
    1994 Black NA - SOLD
    2006 Red NC - GT with limited slip, HIDs, all OEM.

Quote Originally Posted by Radio-Active View Post
    Mini Cooper!
    I don't think you can get a good Mini for 10K or less. Plus they aren't as reliable as Japanese econobox.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

Quote Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
    These are my first inclinations, with the addition of Nissan (love my Titan), a family member in Cali swears by her Altima as well...

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    QFT. So far I've been able to dodge real estate, stock market, religion/private school, general rasing kid issues and politics landmines. Kinda hard to dodge the car stuff when you have stacks of wheels and tires and two toy cars in the garage. I keep telling her I just drive em, not work on 'em but so far she's not buying it. I should be able to just get away with recommending a japanese unit and staying away from the actual pick. As the fatefull day draws near, I feel an unscheduled trip out of the country may be in order....

Quote Originally Posted by general default View Post
    The best investment in the safety department is better driver training. The courses are cheap and provide a life long benefit.

The following link has some interesting numbers and links on the subject. They also have suggestion for cars.
    Teen Driving
    This. Already keeping an eye out for opportunities...

Thanks everyone.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast