Thread: Anybody have a AAA membership?

Default Anybody have a AAA membership?

I used to have one back on college and I used it a couple of times for the free towing and to plan road trips. I let it lapse years ago and haven't thought about until today when I was thumbing through the junk mail. For $52/year I'm kinda tempted...

Thoughts?
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

I had towing added to my insurance for the fleet was cheaper than AAA.

YMMV

Hmmm... hadn't thought of that.
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days

I have it, but can't really tell you why I do to be honest. I used to use it all the time when I had the FM2 stuff on my car, but that was over 6 years ago. I've just been renewing it every year since. I've used it once or twice over the years, but nothing major.

When i moved out here, I switched from Florida AAA to Texas. I was told I would get a new card and policy number, that has yet to happen. That was almost exactly a year ago. If I don't get a renewal notice from Texas AAA, I won't renew. But naturally that's when I will need it.

I can tell you that the flyers tell you that you can add any members in your household to your policy. I figured I'd get my girlfriend added to mine, but of course when I called I was told we need to be married. So much for "members of your household" being eligible. She's owns this house 50/50, so she's every bit of a household member as I am, but nope.

I have used the crap out of the hotel discounts and such though. So it really has paid for itself many times over. But you can usually get the same discounts with something else anyway.

cell phone roadside assist has proven a better deal for me in the past.. AAA does have some good hotel deals and other travel perks, we just didnt use it enough to justify it. and iirc i was able to add it to my plan the day i got a flat without a 4-way in the car..
    95 r white

I use AMA (American Motorcycle Association). Cheaper than AAA and covers me on motorcycle or car...
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

I have it, used it a few times, they'll also bring you gas if you're silly enough to run out of that.

I've always had great service from them, and like knowing that my wife can call and they'll come change a flat, or whatever needs to be done, if I can't get to her right away.
    If you're addicted to cold turkey how do you stop?

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

I have it but rarely use it. I got the premium membership that gives me 250 mile towing and motorcycle towing. If you've seen wrecker fees in the last year or two you'd be amazed. Anyway, my insurance won't cover the bike or range and like Andy posted awhile back; every time you use your insurance for towing or roadside assistance it's recorded as "an incident" so it may affect renewal rates.

One more plus is that I'm covered no matter what vehicle (I own or not) that I drive or ride as a passenger in. My insurance can't do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Nails View Post
    I have it but rarely use it. I got the premium membership that gives me 250 mile towing and motorcycle towing. If you've seen wrecker fees in the last year or two you'd be amazed. Anyway, my insurance won't cover the bike or range and like Andy posted awhile back; every time you use your insurance for towing or roadside assistance it's recorded as "an incident" so it may affect renewal rates.

One more plus is that I'm covered no matter what vehicle (I own or not) that I drive or ride as a passenger in. My insurance can't do that.
    What he said. It also covers lock outs... My mom locked her keys in the car once years ago and they came out and broke into it for her.

totally forgot about gettting locked out, I've used that a few times also.
    If you're addicted to cold turkey how do you stop?

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    What he said. It also covers lock outs... My mom locked her keys in the car once years ago and they came out and broke into it for her.
    No shit? I coulda used that when I stopped in OKC on my way to Hallett...
    '94 Black & Black & Tan

Dyno Days

Read the coverage and then decide. Basic policy pays for towing up to 4 miles and then you pay $6 per mile after that. Not sure its worth it for me, but the wife wanted it for her and the kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Nails View Post
    every time you use your insurance for towing or roadside assistance it's recorded as "an incident" so it may affect renewal rates.

All this.

And I forgot about lock outs too. I've never used it for myself, but pretty much the day I was told they will cover me in *any* vehicle, I used it for a friend. I just drove out to where he was stuck, and hung out till someone got there to get "us" in his car.

And like motorollow just said, read the differences in coverage. I forget what level I am, but I know it's like 3 tows a year at a max of 100 or something like that. I know the very basic is iffy at best. That would be more for people that travel and would use the travel and hotel discounts (and food too).
    Last edited by Rob®; 09-30-2010 at 03:02 PM.

Yeah my coverage is 90 something bucks a year. Basic AAA doesn't have that many features or range.

Quote Originally Posted by motorollow View Post
    Read the coverage and then decide. Basic policy pays for towing up to 4 miles and then you pay $6 per mile after that. Not sure its worth it for me, but the wife wanted it for her and the kids.
    Yep... there is 3 levels- 3 miles, 100 miles, and 200 miles. I have the 100 mile coverage. Not that I get out there much anymore, but I did note that MSR is 96 miles from my house, so I would be able to get the car all the way home if I had something happen out there.

Full list of benefits for each level is here.

Looking at my bill, I pay $125 a year for the plus level for both the Wife and myself.

I have the 100 mile coverage. Not that I get out there much anymore, but I did note that MSR is 96 miles from my house, so I would be able to get the car all the way home if I had something happen out there.
    HA! That's actually the reasoning I used when I first signed up. I was ~60 miles from Pocono Raceway and just over 100 to Limerock.

Engine Builder

I have it and I love it. It not only covers your cars but covers any car you are in. That includes rentals, friends, family, ect. I found it worth every penny.
    jersey

My mom had to use hers today. The policy has paid for itself every year with older vehicles in the family. I know that they had to call a couple of times last year for batteries going Dead. 1 or two times for lock outs in the past three year and once for the car not wanting to start with a good battery.

It is a lot easier than having a towing policy on insurance that only pays for $50 or so.
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

Yep... there is 3 levels- 3 miles, 100 miles, and 200 miles. I have the 100 mile coverage. Not that I get out there much anymore, but I did note that MSR is 96 miles from my house, so I would be able to get the car all the way home if I had something happen out there.

Full list of benefits for each level is here.

Looking at my bill, I pay $125 a year for the plus level for both the Wife and myself.
    I've got the same thing as Titus. Used it to get the car home from MSR in '03 when Bacon got a little too close for comfort.

I also used it once or twice when I was commuting to UTA and I'd leave the lights on and drain the battery on the Civic. Stupid car - you couldn't lock the driver's door without inserting the key into the external lock (I guess to prevent you from locking the keys in the car), but it didn't have a chime for the lights.

I don't like the idea of my insurance company knowing when and where I've towed a car from, so I'll keep AAA. Everywhere I race regularly is within 100 miles of my house except for Mineral Wells, which is 104 miles.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw