Thread: Hardtop Issues

Default Hardtop Issues

In an attempt to install my rennenmetal hardtop brackets, I was able to get 3 brackets in, but 1 bracket for the life of me I could not get out.

I managed to get screws stripped and break the heads of the screws >:o

Can someone help me get the studs out PLEASE!!

red loctite can suck it

These screws are super hard! I did the same thing last year. I was able to drew through/out, very carefully and slowly, with diamond drill bits from HF. It helps to use liberal amount of cutting oil to extend the life of the bits. They have the oil at HF too. After that, for a couple of them I had to use a tap to clean out what was remaining. It takes time, patience and several diamond drill bits. BTW the drill bits are not expensive. Around $10 HF gives a set of 10 or so of different sizes and shape. You need the pointy one to get started square at the center. This is the most important part of the drilling. The last thing you want to use is the bolt extractor! Once they are broke inside the hole, you are 10 times worse off than you started. Don't ask how I know!
    Gabriel

I found that out the hard way too! but the extractor wasn't that bad, the tip just broke but it came out when the heads broke off

I'm willing to pay someone. I don't want to mess things up even more

You would be hard press to find someone would do this for $. It is not fun. If I can do it, so can you. Just get the cordless drill, spare batter, diamond rill bits and cutting oil. You will also need steady hands. Depends on the length of the screw that left behind. Plan on at least 2 hrs of drilling for each one. You can give Garry at TDR a call to see if he wants to help. Last time he told me to drill it out myself and he helped me clean up the holes.
    Gabriel

Prefers his T-Bones Deboned... jeff_man's Avatar

I fixed mine and it took 8 hours and it's done 1/2 ass. to get it done right will take some cash.

finally got them out!!! such a PITA

a 13/64" drill bit fits nicely in the hole without messing up the threads

Mine are still stuck in one side, with mangled heads. I've tried the impact screwdriver, is it time to get the torch out? There has to be a better way.

Thanks.
    TXMC: Drinkin, shootin, racin!

I broke the heads off and then started drilling with a small drill bit and kept going up until the 13/64" size and then eventually the studs broke and i was free!