Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Apex Driving Academy MSR 3.1 10/18

Default Apex Driving Academy MSR 3.1 10/18

A rare chance to run the Big track, anyone else going?
    94 Miata R package RPF1 195 RS-R RB FSB FCM Bilstein Ebay Coilover 550/350
    91 Civic Si Daily Beater

"Its more fun to drive a slow car fast, than it is to drive a fast car slowly".

Altiain and I will be there, can't wait!
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

"Oh yeah baby yeah!" Austin Powers /end

Umm. I'm going and intend to stay on the pavement this time.
    Last edited by Nails; 10-08-2010 at 10:49 PM.

Should be a pretty big crowd from here and the local S2k group. ken o, miatamoto and I will all be there as well. Looking forward to it.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

If I weren't moving I would sign up.
    TXMC: Drinkin, shootin, racin!

It's a monday. Move on the weekend then go.

Anyone up for breakfast before the event? There's a Waffle House on 377 just south of I-20.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

What time? When's the drivers' meeting?

Driver's meeting is at 8am. I was thinking 6:45am for breakfast, which should give us time to eat, drive to the Ranch, and pul everything out of the cars without having to rush to make the driver's meeting.
    Iain

Out. Too early with unpredictable drive time from Allen on a weekday. Also, I don't need to work on my car at the track.
    See ya at lunch maybe.

Hope everyone has a great time today!

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    Hope everyone has a great time today!
    +1!

So wish I was there rather than here....... Stupid Work!

Damn "people-with-better-schedules-than-me" jerks! Next thing you know, they'll be posting how great a time they had. So selfish... :)
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

Well, I'll make you feel better about working today, mike.

Had a big four wheel off in the first session. Thankfully, no damage. Then I lost 4th gear in the transmission in the third session. MER looked at it, said it was terminal. However, they were kind enough to cut me a very nice deal on a spare, rebuilt tranny that they had, and had the car back up and running within two hours.

Big thanks to Jason and Juliann and the rest of Team MER for their help today. What great bunch of guys and gals!
    Iain

I don't think it even took 2 hours! And they were about 65% cheaper than the dealership which couldn't have got to it till next week. I'm definitely going to MER for future mechanical work.

I had one of the best track days ever. Weather was great! Track was very fun in the 3.1; very smooth too. And the people there were real nice.

Thanks to Ken o for the ride along. The g's made my helmet feel like a bowling ball! Damn fun!

Thanks to altiain for riding along with me and helping me fine tune my line and turn-ins. Still working on getting more left at the crest before the bowl but I have a much smoother and faster line around tombstone now.

Thanks to Apex for a well run event with a ton of seat time. 200 bucks got you four 30 minute sessions and one 20 minute session; 2:20 compared to other outfits that I've tried that give you four 20 minutes sessions.

My only complaint was how bad the commute there and back was on a weekday.

I did have an off at buzzard's neck and should have video posted later of it. I set cameras to 720 instead of 1080 so I think my comp can edit it.

I finished logging the video but didn't get the last 2 sessions of the rear facing camera. The camera powered up in the photo mode instead of film mode and I didn't know it. Got a nice still shot of Altiain and me though! I have to work tonite so I'll try to cut tomorrow.

Iain and me.JPG
    Last edited by Nails; 10-19-2010 at 02:49 PM.

It was a great day at the track. Weather was perfect with lots of seat time. This is my fastest lap of the day, a rare lap where I did not have to give pointbys to much faster cars

Please feel free to critique my driving. I know I can go faster by using a bit more track at several fast corners, and braking later at sevearl points. (maybe after I get some real pads) I am around 2 seconds behind my buddy in his new Sti, but I am starting to think I need more car to keep up.

Alan
    91 Civic Si Daily Beater

Are you at 100% throttle when exiting turns? The speed seems to climb quicker on some exits than it does on others. If not you need to focus on how can you spend more time on the gas, how soon can you get back to 100%. Also backup you braking zone by just a touch, 10ft increments.
    M3 is always the answer.

Yes, I am getting back to 100% throttle as soon as I can when exiting turns. The speed spikes seem to be coming from the 10hz mode, it introduces some weird speed dips and spikes that I will look into solving.

I will work on my braking, also using more track entering Ricochet and Big bend.
    91 Civic Si Daily Beater

Man that looks like sooo much fun. One day... One day...
    SOLD: 91 Mazda Miata "Grand Sport" - FM V-Maxx coilovers, FM sways, Hard Dog roll bar, stock 1.6L running strong, 15" Star Specs, 96 Grand Sport paint
    - 85 GMC S15 Jimmy "the Tyclone" - LT1 350ci V8, AWD, Typhoon interior, 18" C5 wheels, 96 Grand Sport paint

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast