Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Miata Reborn

Default Miata Reborn

Finally getting my built motor installed.

This is how the car sits as of this morning.

Should be back on the road this week. I'm gonna see just how much the Greddy turbo can make.

Engine Specs (stock refreshed head):
    9:1CR 78.5mm Alamo Wiseco Pistons
    Eagle Rods
    Cometic .040" MLS Headgasket
    ARP Main Studs
    ARP Head Studs
    ACL Bearings
    Boundary Engineering Billet Oil Pump Gear
    Ishihara-Johnson non-contact Crank Scraper
    Prather Racing Oil Pan Baffle

**Day Custom Engines**

Misc - Begi Coolant Reroute, LW Crank Pulley, Comp Clutch Stg 4 Sprung clutch, Comp Clutch LW Steel Flywheel, custom ARP flywheel bolts

Install and tuning by Alamo Autosports.
    Last edited by ray_sir_6; 01-31-2011 at 04:56 PM. Reason: Image fix
    Wealth, power, and experience are apparently not enough to save us from social influences. Groupthink, as described by I.L.Janis, is the tendency for group members to reach a consensus opinion, even if that decision is downright stupid (Janis 1982).

Lightweight Crank Pulley + Turbo = Dead Oil Pump. Even with the billet oil pump gear, why tempt fate? The marginal gains are hardly worth the cost to begin with, let alone risking a built motor.

I don't think it will be an issue with the billet gears.
    Wealth, power, and experience are apparently not enough to save us from social influences. Groupthink, as described by I.L.Janis, is the tendency for group members to reach a consensus opinion, even if that decision is downright stupid (Janis 1982).

Taking slightly longer than expected since the BeGi coolant reroute I had was for a BP, not a B6. Called BeGi and they took care of it right away! A+++

So that coolant neck will be going bye-bye soon, right?

Always nice to see a built 1.6 making its way into an engine bay. :)
    '90 "LE" available for purchase soon
    2008.5 CWP MS3: JBR 70d trilogy engine mounts, short throw shifter & shift plate bushings; AST 4100 w/ 400lb springs f/r; JRZ camber plates

the neck stays, but it will be blocked off, since I still need the fan switch.

Quote Originally Posted by ray_sir_6 View Post
    I don't think it will be an issue with the billet gears.
    You're more brave than I am.
    TXMC: Drinkin, shootin, racin!

Whats the reason for concern? Do the pump and pulley not like each other?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Miatie View Post
    Whats the reason for concern? Do the pump and pulley not like each other?
    No harmonic balancer makes harmonics kill oil pump gears.

Quote Originally Posted by slowchildmiata View Post
    No harmonic balancer makes harmonics kill oil pump gears.
    This happens with the weak shatter-prone stock oil pump gears...they don't like vibration. I don't think the billet gears will have this problem, so I'm willing to try it.

I have a set...but this is the same crank that's known to eat-itself above 7000rpm.
    TXMC: Drinkin, shootin, racin!

How much could you possibly gain from the pulley, really? Even if there was no cost or risk at all, I seriously doubt you could detect a performance difference. How much is it costing you for the pulley and the gear plus intallation? How much are you spending on the build that would be toast if the oil pump gear does fail? Those are rhetorical questions since the numbers are none of my business. It's your car and your money so you can do whatever you want, obviously. I hope it all works just fine for you but it seems like an unnecessary risk/waste to me. MHO.

I put a LW UD pulley on my last car (yes, it was NA, not a Miata) and it was by far my favorite mod, and I did every bolt-on available. It had a 4-1 header that made 13whp (from 103 to 116) and cams/PnP/+1mm OS valves ($3k) that got it to 138whp (on a 175k mile stock bottom-end with horrible rings), and a 50-shot. If I get even 1/4 the improvement, it'll be more than worth the $85 I paid ISC Racing for the pulley and water pump belt. The billet gear was going in regardless, since I plan on revving the piss out of the motor after I do the head (9-10k rpm). Is it a risk? Maybe. But that's part of the game, and I'm not concerned with it. Technically it's "free money" since I am using my student grants when I don't even pay for my school thanks to the GI Bill. :P

All together. Engine has been broken in, ready for the tune this weekend.

19 psi, meth injection.

Turbo/Manifold is too restrictive to make anything more. Made only +3whp at 22psi.

The new clutch was slipping, so we are doing more pulls this weekend after the clutch is broken in.

What turbo are you running?

Clutch slip on that run at peak torque?

Quote Originally Posted by slowchildmiata View Post
    What turbo are you running?

Clutch slip on that run at peak torque?
    The slippage was between the 2 humps on the torque.
    Greddy TD04H-15G

The slippage was between the 2 humps on the torque.
    That is where torque peak was

Greddy TD04H-15G
    That is good for that little hair dryer. You are blowing alot of hot air out of it to get those numbers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast